Advertisements

Tag: MEXICO

DRUGS WAR: FOLLOWING SHOOTING OF LOCATION SCOUT, ESCOBAR’S BROTHER THREATENS NETFLIX OVER NARCOS

The brother of the late Pablo Escobar has sent a chilling message to Netflix  – urging them to ‘hire hitmen’ as security.

This veiled threat came after a ‘Narcos‘ location scout was shot dead earlier this month.

The 37-year-old Carlos Muñoz Portal was scouting locations for season four of the popular Netflix series, before he went missing.

His bullet-riddled body and car were later found in a remote area near the borders of Hidalgo state, a hugely violent area of the country.

In a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter, 71-year-old Roberto De Jesus Escobar Gaviria (formerly known as the ‘chief of hitmen’), has spoken in no uncertain terms about his opinion on Netflix returning the film in the area without his permission.

“I don’t want Netflix or any other film production company to film any movies in Medellin or Colombia that relates to me or my brother Pablo without authorization from Escobar Inc,” he said. “It is very dangerous. Especially without our blessing. This is my country.”

2017_Narcos_Netflix_210717
‘Narcos’ on Netflix Credit: Netflix/Press

Asked about what measures Netflix should take to increase security for their ‘Narcos’ crew, he replied: “You have to eliminate all threats. When I was walking in the jungle one day, I had a bag with $2 million in $100 bills. The army was searching for me and Pablo at this time. Suddenly, we are being shot at.

“Both me and Pablo, along with a few security people, start running towards a small channel of water, we swim away. This was all done without guns. If you have the intellect, you don’t need to use weapons. If not, you have to. In this case, Netflix should provide hitmen to their people as security.”

Last year, Roberto De Jesus Escobar Gaviria demanded $1billion from the show for using his brother’s likeness without the family’s permission. Now, he’s threatening legal action and to ‘close their little show down’.

He’s demanding $1billion and advising them to ‘hire hitmen’ as security

“Netflix are scared,” he continued. “They sent us a long letter to threaten us. Right now, we are in discussions with them through our attorneys Browne George Ross LLP to obtain our $1 billion payment. If we don’t receive it, we will close their little show.

“You see, we own all the trademarks to all of our names and also for the Narcos brand. I don’t play around with these people in Silicon Valley. They have their phones and nice products. But they don’t know life and would never dare to survive in the jungle of Medellin or Colombia. I have done that.”

He added: “Their mothers should have left them in the womb. That is what we tell people like this if they come to Colombia.”

Responding to the location scout’s death, a ‘Narcos’ spokesman said: “We are aware of the passing of Carlos Muñoz Portal, a well-respected location scout, and send our condolences to his family.


Advertisement

ogun ambassador awards 17

“The facts surrounding his death are still unknown as authorities continue to investigate.”

The third season of ‘Narcos’ premiered on Netflix on September 1. Season four is said to be focused on the origins of Mexico’s infamous Juarez cartel, but Portal’s tragic death has raised uncertainty over whether production will continue in Mexico or move back to Colombia.

Culled from www.nme.com

Advertisement

akpos

Advertisements

OVER 200 DEAD IN MEXICO’S DEADLIEST EARTHQUAKE SINCE 1985

At least 226 people have been reported killed in the powerful earthquake that shook central Mexico on Tuesday.

Several buildings collapsed in into mounds of rubble in plumes of dust and many were severely damaged in densely populated parts of Mexico City and nearby states. Thousands fled into the streets in panic, but many stayed back to help rescue those trapped.

Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said buildings fell at 44 places in the capital alone as high-rises across the city swayed sickeningly.

mexico-city-earthquake-lede_ihfrurMEXICO1

Hours after the magnitude 7.1 quake, rescue workers were still clawing through the wreckage of a primary school that partly collapsed in the city’s south looking for any children who might be trapped. Some relatives said they had received Whatsapp message from two girls inside.

The federal Education Department reported late Tuesday night that 25 bodies had been recovered from the school’s wreckage, all but four of them children. It was not clear whether the deaths were included in the overall death toll of 226 reported by the federal civil defense agency.

President Enrique Pena Nieto visited the school earlier in the night. At the time, he said 22 bodies had been found, and added in comments broadcast online by Financiero TV that 30 children and eight adults were reported missing. Rescuers were continuing their search and pausing to listen for voices from the rubble.

MEXICO2

Later, Pena Nieto issued a video message urging calm and saying the initial focus of authorities is on finding people trapped in fallen buildings.

“The priority at this moment is to keep rescuing people who are still trapped and to give medical attention to the injured people,” he said.

The quake is the deadliest in Mexico since a 1985 quake on the same date killed thousands. It came less than two weeks after another powerful quake caused 90 deaths in the country’s south.

Luis Felipe Puente, head of the national Civil Defense agency, reported early Wednesday that the confirmed death toll had increased to 226.

His tweet said 117 dead had been counted in Mexico City and 55 in Morelos state, which is just south of the capital. It said 39 were known dead in Puebla state, where the quake was centered. Twelve deaths were listed in the State of Mexico, which surrounds Mexico City on three sides, and three in Guerrero state.

The federal government declared a state of disaster in Mexico City, freeing up emergency funds. President Enrique Pena Nieto said he had ordered all hospitals to open their doors to the injured.

Mancera, the Mexico City mayor, said 50 to 60 people were rescued alive by citizens and emergency workers in the capital. Authorities said at least 70 people in the capital had been hospitalized for injuries.

The federal interior minister, Miguel Angel Osorio Chong, said authorities had reports of people possibly still being trapped in collapsed buildings. He said search efforts were slow because of the fragility of rubble.

“It has to be done very carefully,” he said. And “time is against us.”

 

Interesting news, stories and articles from all over the world
%d bloggers like this: