As a surgeon warns of a summer of carnage from knife stabbings due to the fact that the British knife crime is now spreading from cities to the Home Counties, The Sun Online takes a look at the harrowing statistics…
How many stabbings took place in London and other regions in the UK over the last year?
At least 37 people have been fatally stabbed – and 62 overall killed – in London since the beginning of the year.
Met Police records show 37, 443 recorded knife offences and 6,694 recorded gun offences across the UK in the year up to September 2017.
Four teenagers were stabbed to death in London on New Year’s Eve alone, and 22 were killed in March – meaning the capital now has a higher murder rate than New York
The popular US city had a mere 21 killings in comparison.
Commander Neil Jerome of the Met’s territorial policing command condemned the crimes, saying the four families had lost a loved one to “senseless violence and the callous use of knives as lethal weapons”.
A shocking night of violence took place on February 20, 2018, with six people reportedly stabbed in North London.
Russell Jones, 23, became the eighth person to die in a week after being ambushed outside shops near Ponders End station in Enfield on Saturday, March 17.
On 29 March a 23-year-old man died in hospital from stab wounds after being attacked and left for dead in Greenwich, South East London.
On April 4 a man in his 20s was stabbed to death in Hackney, East London. He was the 13th person to die in London in just 22 days.
On Saturday, April 7, a woman was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after stabbing a man outside Highbury and Islington station.
On April 11, a man was hospitalised after being stabbed at DLR station at Stratford station, east London.
A woman in her 20s was arrested after stabbing a man in Isle of Dogs on April 12, 2018.
Over that weekend two more people were fatally stabbed in incidents in Colindale and Brixton.
On April 16, cops were called to Head Street in Limehouse, Tower Hamlets, and found a 17-year-old male suffering from multiple wounds.
On April 21, a 20-year-old man was stabbed to death in Finsbury park, marking the 62nd fatal crime fatality in London this year.
On April 23, two teen girls were attacked in West Kensington and a man was knifed at Woolwich DLR station.
On May 7, a man believed to be aged in his late-teens or early 20s, was stabbed at 4.38pm on Leytonstone Road in London.
The condition of the victim is unknown while investigators have sealed off the street where the knifing happened.
On May 8, three stabbings occurred. The first was a 16-year-old who was stabbed in the arm at the Embankment in Twickenham. The second, a male said to be in his late teens, was found injured in Beresford Square, Greenwich after reports of a fight. A third teen was knifed in Hackney after a fight that allegedly saw young lads attack each other with machetes.
On May 9, a 40-year-old man was stabbed in Shepherds Bush in broad daylight and was rushed to hospital. Police have said his injuries are not life threatening.
On May 10, two 17-year-old boys were stabbed in Greenwich, just 90 minutes after a man was knifed “multiple times” in Wanstead.
On May 16, police attended the scene at Ruislip, after a young man was stabbed repeatedly and was left fighting for his life.
On May 20, cops found a man, believed to be in his 20s, to Mitcham in South London. He had been stabbed several times but he died at the scene
Fatal stabbings in London, 2018
- January 1 – Steve Frank Navarez-Jara, 20, Islington
- January 3 – Elizabeta Lacatusu, 44, Redbridge
- January 8 – Daniel Frederick, 34, died in Hackney
- January 9 – Dami Odeyingbo, 18, stabbed in Bromley
- January 11 – Harry Uzoka, 25, killed in Shepherd’s Bush
- January 28 – Yaya Mbye, 26, stabbed in Stoke Newington
- January 29 – Juan Olmos Saca, 39, stabbed in Peckham
- January 31 – Khader Saleh, 25, stabbed at Wormwood Scrubs prison
- February 3 – Hassan Ozcan, 19, knifed in Barking
- February 3 – Kwabena Nelson, a youth worker, died after being stabbed near his home in Tottenham
- February 8 – Hannah Leonard, 55, stabbed in a flat in Camden
- February 11 – Sabri Chibani, 19, stabbed in Streatham
- February 13 – Saeeda Hussain, 54, was stabbed in Ilford
- February 14 – Lord Promise Nkenda, 17, stabbed in Canning Town
- February 18 – Lewis Blackman, 19, knifed in Kensington
- February 19 – Rotimi Oshibanjo, 26, stabbed in Southall
- February 20 – Sadiq Mohammed, 20, stabbed in Camden
- February 20 – Abdikarim Hassan, 17, stabbed in Camden
- February 25 – Michael Boyle, 44, stabbed in the chest
- March 1 – Christopher Beaumont, 42, stabbed in Hammersmith
- March 5 – Laura Figueira, 47, stabbed in Twickenham
- March 5 – Kelva Smith, 20, knifed to death in Croydon
- March 14 – Lyndon Davis, 18, stabbed to death in Chadwell Heath
- March 16 – Naomi Hersi, 36, found with stab wounds at hotel near Heathrow Airport
- March 17 – Russell Jones, 23, stabbed in Enfield
- March 18 – Tyrone Silcot, 41, stabbed in Hackney
- March 19 – Balbir Johal, 48, knifed in Southall
- March 19 – A 41-year-old was stabbed to death in Waltham Forest
- March 20 – Beniamin Pieknyi, 21, stabbed at Stratford shopping centre
- March 26 – David Potter, 50, stabbed in Tooting
- March 29 – Reece Tshoma, 23, stabbed to death in Plumstead
- March 30 – Leyla Mtumwa, 36, found with stab wounds at a home in Haringey
- April 1 – Abdullah Hammia, 20, was stabbed in Wandsworth
- April 4 – A 38-year-old man was stabbed at a house in Lewisham
- April 4 – Israel Ogunsola, 18, was stabbed to death in Hackney on 4 April.
- April 5 – Five teenagers and one man were stabbed in London within a space of 24 hours. One of the victims was aged 13 and left fighting for his life
- April 9 – A man in his 70s was stabbed four times and robbed as he returned to his Harold Hill home after collecting his pension.
- April 15 – A man named locally as Raul Nicolaie was knifed to death in Colindale, North London.
- April 15 – Samantha Clarke, 38, was stabbed to death in Brixton, South West London.
- April 20 – Aaron Springett, 32, died after he was found collapsed in Morden, South West London.
- April 21 – Kwasi Anim-Boadu, 20, was stabbed to death in Finsbury Park, north London.
- May 17 – Abrabhman Juma, 24, was stabbed to death in Crows Road, Barking
- May 20 – A man in his 20s stabbed in Mitcham, South London
- May 21 – A man was stabbed to death just yards from Islington town hall in London
(*highlighted names as knife victims of Black and African descent)
Are stabbings on the rise?
Knife crime across the country has risen by a staggering 21 per cent in the 12 months to September 2017, according to quarterly figures released by the Office of National Statistics.
Stabbings in London are at their highest level in six years, with a 23 per cent rise from the previous year.
Overall, crime had continued to fall in England and Wales, consistent with the general trend since the mid-1990s.
As reported in The Sun