NETFLIX’S HOUSE OF CARDS CANCELLED FOLLOWING KEVIN SPACEY SEX ALLEGATIONS

Netflix has announced that it will not commission another series of House Of Cards after historical allegations were made against lead star Kevin Spacey.

The streaming platform said it was “deeply troubled” over claims that Spacey tried to sexually assault a 14-year-old boy when he was 26.

A statement jointly  released by the company and Media Rights Capital said its executives “arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported”.

It added: “As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”

But in another twist, the company has released another statement claiming that the decision to cancel the series was made long before the historical allegations against Spacey were made on Monday

The sixth series of the political thriller, which stars Spacey as a fictional US president, is currently in production and expected to air in mid-2018.

Spacey is the central character in the hugely popular political thriller series and it is also because of his skillful portrayal of the ruthless fictional President Francis Underwood that the series are successful.

In an interview published on Monday, actor Anthony Rapp told BuzzFeed News that Spacey had invited him to his apartment for a party in 1986.

Rapp, then aged 14, claimed Spacey picked him up at the end of the night, placed him on his bed and climbed on top of him – making a sexual advance.

 

Kevin Spacey
Image:Spacey spoke of his sexuality in a statement apologising to Rapp

In a statement, Spacey said he was “beyond horrified to hear (Rapp’s) story”, adding: “I honestly do not remember this encounter”.

The 58-year-old apologised “for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour” and said that he had used the allegation “to address other things about my life”.

Spacey added: “I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man.

“I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behaviour.”

Meanwhile,

It has been announced that an Emmy award honouring Kevin Spacey has been revoked following an allegation he made sexual advances towards a 14-year-old boy in the 80s.

The two-time Oscar-winning actor was due to receive the 2017 International Emmy Founders Award in New York next month.

The International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences released a statement saying that “in light of recent events” it will be withdrawing Spacey’s honour.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply