Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command continue to investigate after a 14-year-old boy was struck by a car and then fatally stabbed in Leyton in what police are treating as a targeted attack.
A crime scene remains in place and police are appealing for information and witnesses including anyone with dashcam footage to come forward.
Chief Superintendent Richard Tucker said: “Everyone is shocked and appalled by this murder. The age of the victim, a boy aged 14, beggars belief and I completely understand the alarm and concern it has raised from those who live and work in the area.
“A crime scene remains in place today as officers continue their painstaking work to piece together the details of the attack. A section 60 was put in place following this incident and is being continually reviewed.
“I would urge the local community to be patient and cooperate where possible with the work detectives are getting on with in the area.
“My officers will be out working to support investigators today and be there to talk to the public and listen to the concerns they have. Neighbourhood patrols will be stepped up in the area and locals can expect to see more police. I would urge anyone with information on the attack to contact police without delay. “
Police were called out to Bickley Road, Waltham Forest, shortly before 18.30hrs on Tuesday, 8 January to reports of a road traffic collision.
Officers and paramedics from the London Ambulance Service attended.
A 14-year-old boy was found with stab injuries. It has now been established by detectives the boy was riding a moped that had been involved in a collision with a car.
It is believed that three males got out of the car and then stabbed the victim before returning to the vehicle and driving off. Efforts to trace this vehicle, which is believed to be a black Mercedes B Class with extensive frontal damage, continue.
Despite efforts of paramedics, the victim died at 19.09hrs. His next of kin have been informed.
A crime scene remains place. The Homicide and Major Crime team are now investigating.
DCI Larry Smith from the Homicide and Major Crime Command said: “Everything that we have learned about this attack so far indicates it was targeted and intent on lethal force from the outset. We are doing everything we can to catch those who carried out this cowardly attack and bring them to justice.”
The London mayor, Sadiq Khan, tweeted:
No arrests have been made. Enquiries continue.
Anyone with information is asked to contact officers via 101 quoting CAD 5720/08JAN.
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
You can also tweet police via @MetCC