Hackney Man Pleads Guilty To Serious Sexual Assault

A man who was arrested and charged for a serious sexual assault has pleaded guilty just days after his attack.

34 ywar old Akin Akinniran, of Tresham Walk, E9, was charged on Monday, 22 October with sexual assault.

Police were called at approximately 02:20hrs on Sunday, 21 October to reports of a serious sexual assault on Lower Clapton Road, E5.

The victim, a 29-year-old woman, had exited a private hire vehicle and was walking along Lower Clapton Road. She was approached from behind before the suspect tried to speak to her.

The woman told the suspect to leave her alone and tried to walk away, however the suspect grabbed her and started kissing her neck. He then pulled the woman into an alleyway and continued to sexually assault her.

The woman was able to get away and ran to a man who was walking down the road. She asked him to call the police. As he was doing so, the suspect approached the victim and the witness and told him to hang up the phone and stop calling the police.

As the suspect was coming closer the woman screamed and the suspect ran off from the scene.

Officers arrived and collected CCTV footage from a fast food restaurant and took the woman to an east London police station.

On Monday, 22 October, Akinniran self-presented himself to an east London police station after seeing pictures of him circulating on social media which had been taken by a witness. He claimed that he was innocent and gave a different account of events from that night.

Officers searched the property where he was staying and found the identical items of clothing worn by the suspect in the photographs.

Later that day, he was charged with sexual assault and remanded in police custody to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, 23 October where he pleaded guilty.

Detective Constable Alex Heaton, from Central East CID, said: “Firstly, I would like to reassure the public that attacks of this nature are very rare and that we take reports of this nature very seriously.

“Within three days of the attack we have arrested, charged and secured a guilty verdict for a dangerous criminal who will not be able to harm anyone for quite a while. There may very well be other victims of Akinniran’s, who we would urge to contact police as soon as possible.”

Akinniran will be sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court on Tuesday, 20 November.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.