Governor Wike Offers N200m Reward For Information On Rivers State New Year’s Day Shooting

Nigeria’s Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has announced N200 million reward for anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of the gunmen who killed several residents of the state who were returning from church on New Year Day.

The police in the state have not been able to ascertain how many people died so far from the incident which happened in Omoku, a community in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni (ONELGA) Local Government Area of the state.

Mr. Peterside, a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, blamed the killing on a supremacy battle among rival cult groups and also accused Governor Wike of lacking the capacity to tackle the state’s security challenges.

Niger-Delta-Militants-e1465819983940.jpg
Gunmen opened fire on people returning from New Year’s Day church service

“I have said it time and again that Governor Wike lacks the capacity and competence to guarantee the safety and security of Rivers people.

“It is unfortunate that over 1,000 persons have been killed in questionable circumstances in the last two years under his watch. He should stop playing politics with the lives of Rivers people and face governance,” Mr. Peterside said in a statement he sent to PREMIUM TIMES.

Mr. Wike, on Tuesday, led the Rivers State Security Council on a fact-finding and sympathy visit to the families of the deceased, according to a Government House statement issued on Tuesday.

“We have placed N200 million bounty for relevant information that will lead to the arrest of all those involved in this unfortunate act of violence,” the statement quoted the governor as saying.

“Anybody who is connected to this crime in any way will have his/her houses forfeited to the government. This place has been peaceful before this unfortunate mayhem.

“We will not allow another case of this violence. We have mobilised the security agencies to take the battle to the perpetrators,” Mr. Wike said.

One woman, who identified herself as Comfort Ordu, narrated how the gunmen dragged her husband and three children from their home and shot them to death.

 

The governor commended the security agencies “for working hard to improve the security of the state”.

As he commiserated with the victims’ families, the governor said his government would support the families in burying their loved ones and also settle the medical bills of those receiving treatment.

“I am pained by this unfortunate mayhem,” Mr. Wike said. “Enough is enough.”

The police spokesperson in the state, Omoni Nnamdi, said no arrest had been made yet.

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.