Category: UK

15 YEAR OLD WOOLWICH (SE LONDON) BOY STABBED IN THE STOMACH

A 15-year-old boy is in hospital fighting for his life after being stabbed in the stomach in an estate in Woolwich.

Police were called to the scene at 9.30pm in Maud Cashmore Way on August 15.

A witness saw the scene unfold from the balcony of his apartment that evening.

Speaking to News Shopper, he said: “I think he was fishing nearby. I was out on my balcony drinking tea when I heard screaming and saw him running. I thought what’s wrong with him?

“He was shouting and running and screaming and the whole estate came out into the road.”

At that point the 15-year-old disappeared from view but Mr Edwards said he could still hear the screaming.

He said: “He was laying out on the walkway; he was bleeding out and people were there screaming and shouting.

“They had so many coppers there with sniffer dogs and plain clothes cops. I want to know if he survived because he didn’t seem to be in a good way at all.

“You could see the bloodstained clothing that must have been there all day and all night.”

Police arrived shortly afterwards but the suspects had fled the scene.

A crime scene is in place and Greenwich Police are investigating.

Anyone who witnessed this incident or has information is asked to contact Greenwich Police by dialling 101 or via @MetCC. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

NEWSSHOPPER


Advertisements

ADEKUNLE GOLD, OC UKEJE & TERRY PHETO CONFIRM ATTENDANCE AT IARA AWARDS

Finishing touches are being applied to the upcoming International Achievement Recognition Awards (IARA) holding in London on the 2nd September

And already several of the personalities up for awards have confirmed their attendance at the show that in the past has seen top profile personalities from Film, Television and Sporting fields pick up awards.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fjoebolexquisite%2Fvideos%2F1681903631854566%2F&show_text=0&width=560“>Click to watch event promo video

Founder Helen Bola Imuaphe said in a chat “we are all excited at the IARA team for this year’s event. We have confirmation from Adekunle Gold and Nollywood actor OC Ukeje who will be jetting in for the event.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Also confirmed to attend is South African Oscar winning Actress Terry Pheto and Nollywood actress Nse Etim Ikpe’

According to Mrs Imuaphe, “The IARA this year is going to be a mind blowing night of fun. We have been planning for this year’s event for the past year and a lot of hard work has gone in to ensure that we top the great success of last year’s show”

The IARA Awards 2016 last year won the Event of the Year Award at the Nigerian Events Awards UK

 

IARA AWARDS

 

 

IARA Awards 2017 Saturday 2nd September

At Stratford Town Hall, London E15 4BQ @6pm.

Tickets available at – https://Iaraawards.eventbrite.com

Website- www.iara-awards.com
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
For sponsorship, media partnership or advertisement kindly call 07427251737

 

UNA ORGANISERS FINALISE LIST OF 57 WINNERS FOR 2017 AWARDS

Organisers of the Nigerian Uncelebrated Awards (UNA) UK have finalised the list of the 57 awardees who will be honoured in the 2017 event due to take place at the Mayfair Banqueting Suite in Chadwell Heath on September 30.

Now in its second year, the event will be a classy gala dinner that will attract community leaders, guests from Nigeria and high commission officials, where ordinary Nigerians in the UK who are excelling in numerous fields but have generally been overlooked in the past, will be honoured

Among the 57 who  will be honoured at the event are community leaders, faith workers, those who run charities, teachers, councillors, fashion designers, printers, entertainers, doctors, pharmacists and disc jockeys.

The awardees will all be presented with plaques and certificates on the night.

Ronke Udofia, the chair of the UNA awards sub-committee, said: “It was a very painstaking process chosing 57 individuals from the hundreds of nominations that were submitted but we wanted the process to be transparent, so went the extra mile. We scored each nomination individually and picked the top 57 with the highest scores based on our criteria.”

“Unlike other awards ceremonies, with the exception of industry events such as the Nigerian Events Awards UK, that only celebrates practitioners within the Events Industry,   UNA recognises ordinary working Nigerians in the UK like bus drivers, teachers, care workers, train conductors, etc and not just public figures and VIPs. Our first criteria is that to win a UNA award, you must not have been awarded elsewhere, so we had to check each of our 171 nominees individually to make sure they had not got an award elsewhere.”

Bola Ganiyu, the chair of UNA’s events management sub-committee added: “We want to assure all awardees and their guests that UNA 2017 will be unbelievable as we have secured the hall until 4am in the morning. The night will be a mixture of awards, entertainment and fun and the cuisine will be unique as we will have a variety of Nigerian dishes that have not been served at other events before.

“For just £50 for standard tickets and £75 for VIP tickets, guests will be treated to an evening they will never forget. We have got a lot of high profile VIP guests such as the acting Nigerian High Commissioner in the UK, Mr Simon Ogah, chair of the House of Representatives Committee on the Diaspora Rita Orji, the special adviser to the president on diaspora affairs Abike Dabiri-Erewa and the Ooni of Ife Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, coming over from Nigeria and we are looking at a mixture of entertainers from Nigeria and the UK diaspora.”

Members of the public who want to book tickets to attend the event are urged to visit the website http://www.uncelebratednigeriansawardsuk.org

 

Advertisement

 

NSS17

Screenshot_20170813-001448

 

OAAUK2017 save the datejpg

 

TRAGEDY AS MAN PLUNGES TO DEATH FROM STOCK EXCHANGE BUILDING SEVENTH FLOOR

A man has died after plunging from the seventh floor of the London Stock Exchange.

Police and ambulance crews were called to Paternoster Square after the man was said to have fallen from a glass walkway barrier inside the building.

Stock Exchange workers said they were shocked by what had happened.

A broker said: “I came in this morning and there was a screen up in the reception lobby area and ambulances and police.

“There was an internal memo saying there had been an incident.”

One broker said: “It’s horrifying, that’s all I can say.”

A student, who had been waiting to gain entry to the building, said: “My friends inside told me they heard a lot of shouting and then they heard a thud. It’s awful.”

Police presence: Officers at the scene in the City (John Dunne/Evening Standard)

Police said the unnamed man was pronounced dead shortly after 10am by ambulance staff .

He had fallen from “an upper floor” to the ground.

Police declined to give the man’s age or say whether he worked at the Stock Exchange but said that the incident was being treated as “non-suspicious”.

A City of London Police spokesman said: “We were called to the London Stock Exchange in Paternoster Square at 9.58am to a report of a man who had fallen from an upper floor in the building to the ground.

“London Ambulance Service attended and the man was pronounced dead at 10.10am.

“The City of London Police is currently investigating the circumstances around the death and the incident is being treated as non-suspicious.  We are now working to inform the man’s next of kin.”

A London Stock Exchange Group spokesman said: “We can confirm an incident this morning where a London Stock Exchange Group colleague fell from an upper floor balcony and died.

“The emergency services were called immediately and are dealing with the incident. We will continue to offer them every support and cooperation possible.

“Our thoughts and condolences are with the family and friends of our dear colleague. We would ask that the privacy of the family of the deceased be respected at this time.”

The Paternoster Square entrance to the Stock Exchange was closed this morning and staff were told to use the entrance on Newgate Street.

FORMER BRITISH PRIME MINISTER DAVID CAMERON TAKES TO THE WAVES WITH WIFE SAMANTHA (PICTURES)

The former Prime Minister is enjoying some time off after leaving Downing Street.

And what could be better for the Camerons than indulging in their favourite past time?

David, 50, stood dressed and ready to get out on the water, but SamCam, 46, required a little extra help.

 

davedave5

She stood by the side of the water and leaned forward as her hubby zipped her into her full length wetsuit.

And once everyone was dressed for the occasion, it was surf’s up for the couple as they plunged into the water at Polzeath during the family’s annual summer break in Cornwall last week.

Armed with bodyboards, David and Sam made their way to the waves and paddled out before attempting to get on their feet.

Pretty Sam was all smiles as she waked along the sand with her board under her arm and David looked to be in his element as he enjoyed his holiday.

dave4

SamCam in particular has been very busy lately, launching her own clothing label and welcoming Harper’s Bazaar magazine into their Oxfordshire home for a photoshoot, in which she modelled her own creations.

Cornwall has been a regular haunt for the Camerons for years, with them holidaying there every summer since David first took on the job at No 10 in 2010.

Their youngest child, Florence, was even born at the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro during one of their breaks.

dave3dave2dave1

DAILY MIRROR

TAXPAYERS FORK OUT £44K ON OFFICIAL TOILET FOR HYPOCRITICAL TORY MINISTER WHO PREACHES CUTS TO NHS SPENDING AUSTERITY MEASURES

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has reportedly spent £44,000 of taxpayer funds on a private bathroom for his new offices.

The minister, who recently called for £22billion of cuts to be made to the NHS by 2020, asked for the suite so he could freshen up after cycling to work, according to The Sun newspaper.

The 15ft by 8ft suite includes a designer toilet, vanity mirrors, a power shower and floor-to-ceiling lava tiles.

And modern sensor-activated lights contributed to a £11,000 bill on electrics for the suite.

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt, pictured, has reportedly spent £44,000 of taxpayers' cash on a private bathroom in his new offices

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt, pictured, has reportedly spent £44,000 of taxpayers’ cash on a private bathroom in his new offices

But last night Mr Hunt, a multi-millionaire, said the bathroom was not for his own use and that he had asked for a shower for long distances cyclists who work in the department.

The bathroom was fitted into the Health Ministry’s new £25million headquarters, in Victoria, central London.

A source from the new HQ told The Sun: ‘It’s a disgrace that Hunt talks about the need to save money while getting the taxpayer to pay for a private bathroom fit for a king.

‘People across Britain are waiting on trolleys at hospitals because there are no beds and waiting lists are getting longer by the day.

‘How can he justify it while telling everyone else in the NHS to tighten their belts?

NHS bosses, including chief executive Simon Stevens, have been asked to make £22bn of ‘efficiency savings’ by 2020.

But Mr Hunt, 50, showed no signs of cutting costs when it came to the new bathroom.

Earlier this year he sold part of his education firm Hotcourses for an estimated £14.4m.

£4,000 was reportedly spent on design and planning for the suite, while £10,000 was spent on plumbing for the bathroom.

A further £4,000 was spent on the shower, vanity unit, wash basin and designer toilet.

The bathroom was built at the Department of Health's headquarters in Victoria, pictured

The bathroom was built at the Department of Health’s headquarters in Victoria, pictured

And the same sum was spent on the trendy slate tiles.

The £44,000 could have funded two nurses for a year, 169 rounds of chemotherapy, or five heart bypasses.

The cost of the bathroom also amounted to the price of ten pacemakers or five heart bypass surgeries.

John O’Connell, chief executive of the Taxpayers’ Alliance said: ‘Quite why such a huge sum was spent on a building with perfectly adequate facilities will be lost on taxpayers.

‘The government consistently preaches the virtue of balancing the books, but it’s difficult to take them seriously when money is being flushed away like this.’

But Mr Hunt tweeted the claims were 'totally false' and said the bathroom was for the use of 'long distance cyclists' in his office

But Mr Hunt tweeted the claims were ‘totally false’ and said the bathroom was for the use of ‘long distance cyclists’ in his office
Mr Hunt added his own commute was not long and he was trying to encourage others to cycle to work

Mr Hunt added his own commute was not long and he was trying to encourage others to cycle to work

The health minister responded on social media when the story broke last night.

He tweeted: ‘Today’s @thesun story totally false. TRUE I requested shower for long dist cyclists in new dept health offices (as in current office)…

‘FALSE it was for my own use. My cycle 2work only 10 mins so no need 2 ‘freshen up’ as story elegantly says. But let’s encourage cyclists!’

A Department of Health spokesperson said: ‘The Health Secretary has not approved any costs relating to the department’s new building, but has requested facilities for all cyclists and runners in line with those the department currently has.’

THE SUN


 

BOLT ENDS GLITTERING CAREER IN DISASTER AT LONDON CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES

Usain Bolt’s glittering career swansong came crashing to an end when he pulled up on the anchor leg of the world 4x100m relay won by Britain on Saturday.

Bolt received the baton with Jamaica in third, but halfway down his leg the towering sprinter pulled up clutching his left thigh, eventually doing a forward roll to the ground, to gasps from the 60 000 sell-out London Stadium.

The British quartet of Chijindu Ujah, Adam Gemili, Daniel Talbot and Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake claimed gold in 37.47 seconds, with the Justin Gatlin-led US four taking silver at 0.05sec and Japan a surprise bronze (38.04).

World-Athletics-Championships (2)

Bolt missed out on his bid to retain his 100m title earlier in the week, losing out to Gatlin and silver medallist Christian Coleman, who ran relay anchor for the Americans on Saturday.

But hopes were high for Bolt’s final competitive race, with Jamaica also boasting newly-crowned 110m hurdles champion Omar McLeod, Julian Forte and Yohan Blake in their line-up.

Jamaica were afforded a rousing welcome from the crowd, Bolt applauding the stands, with pictures of him constantly shown on the stadium’s big screens.

Gatlin and the US team also including another convicted doping cheat, Mike Rodgers, and Jaylen Bacon were booed when introduced although the jeering was less than for the individual 100m event.

A close first three legs saw Britain, the United States and Jamaica level-pegged for the final leg.

But there was to be drama as a visibly swearing Bolt pulled up, allowing the Japanese quartet to nip in for third.

The result means Bolt, 100 and 200m world record holder, finishes his career with 14 world medals to go with eight Olympic golds.

SPORTS24


 

Advertisement

Screenshot_20170813-001448

akpos comdy chw

 

una17

IARA17

BEFFTA 2015 Blogsite of the Year Award Winner
%d bloggers like this: