Category: NEWS FROM NIGERIA

NIGERIA: BRITISH HOSTAGE KILLED IN DELTA STATE; 3 FREED

A British hostage kidnapped in Nigeria’s southern Delta state has been killed and three others freed, the Foreign Office (FCO) has confirmed.

Ian Squire was one of four Britons reportedly taken at about on 13 October.

According to the BBC, the British High Commission and Nigerian authorities negotiated the release of Alanna Carson, David Donovan and Shirley Donovan.

The FCO said it had been a “traumatic time” for those involved.

An FCO spokesperson said that Nigerian authorities were investigating the kidnapping, adding: “Our staff will continue to do all we can to support the families.”

Relatives of the four said they were “delighted and relieved” that Ms Carson, Mr Donovan and Mrs Donovan had returned safely.

“Our thoughts are now with the family and friends of Ian as we come to terms with his sad death,” they said in a statement issued on their behalf.

“This has been a traumatic time for our loved ones who were kidnapped and for their families and friends here in the UK.”

Advertisements

KOGGI STATE LABOUR UNION ACTIVIST ASSASSINATED BY GUNMEN

A Labour leader in Kogi State, Mr Abdulmumini Yakubu, has been killed by gunmen in Okene area of the state.

According to a report by the News Agency of Nigeria ( NAN) Yakubu was shot and killed in his house on Nov.1 at about 6:40 p.m. alongside a community leader, Ibrahim Otaru,

Yakubu was until his death the Kogi branch Chairman of the Non-Academic Staff Union of Secondary Schools ( NASU) of the Science , Technical and Technology Education Board ( STTEB).

He was also a member of the Labour Negotiation Committee on the current industrial dispute with the State Government.

Five gunmen drove to Yakubu’s residence in a Sienna bus and opened fire on the unionist and Mr Otaru. Both men died at the scene.

 

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, ASP William Aya, confirmed the killings, saying that the matter was reported to the Okene Police Station at about 8 p.m. on the day of the incident.

Aya said that the bodies of Yakubu and Otaru were taken to the morgue of the General Hospital, Okene, where an autopsy examination will be carried out on them.

He said that police had opened an investigation to the killings and a manhunt for the killers is already underway to bring them to justice.

The killing of Yakubu has thrown the organised Labour in the state into mourning.

The Nigeria Labour Congress ( NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) immediately announced the suspension of further negotiation with the state government over their demands for the payment of workers’ outstanding salaries and other benefits.

The talks were earlier scheduled to resume on Nov. 2.

A statement jointly signed by the Chairman of the NLC, Mr Onu Edoka, and the Chairman of the TUC, Mr Ranti Ojo, said that the suspension was to enable workers to mourn their departed colleagues.

“Labour leaders will only return to negotiating table as soon as there are full assurances of their safety and that of the members of their families,”the statement said.

It condemned the killing of the unionist and called on the police and the state government to urgently intervene and ensure that the killers were apprehended.

“ The organised abour will continue to fight to ensure that this particular murder does not go the way of many unresolved others,” it said.

Both the NLC and the TUC, however, urged workers to remain steadfast and prayerful for God to intervene in the myriad of problems bedeviling the state and commiserated with the family of the deceased.

ECOWAS AWARDS N88BN DAMAGES AGAINST NIGERIA TO COMPENSATE CIVIL WAR VICTIMS

The ECOWAS Court of Justice has awarded a total of N88billion damages against the Federal Government for its failure to clear landmines and remains of explosives in the aftermath of the civil war in the South Eastern part of the country.

The Court granted an out of court settlement application for a case involving the federal government and nine victims of the Nigerian civil war.

At its sitting on Monday, the court ordered the parties to abide by the terms of the settlement, part of which stipulates that the federal government pay without delay, N50 billion as compensation to the victims, their families and communities.

In a consent judgment delivered by Justice Chijioke Nwoke on Tuesday, the court ordered the Federal Government to commence clearing and evacuation of the aftermath of the civil war within 45 days.

In 2012, hundreds of mine victims of the war had gone to the ECOWAS court, asking for an order for the removal of remnants of war instruments stockpiled in 11 states of the south-east, south-south and part of the north-central.

The victims also asked the court to compel the federal government to rehabilitate the areas and compensate them for the damages.

But last week, counsel to both parties filed an application for out-of-court settlement, on the ground that they have reached agreeable terms. In the agreement, the federal government has also agreed to pay another 38 billion naira for the de-mining and rebuilding of the affected areas.

 

 

PRESIDENT BUHARI TERMINATES APPOINTMENTS OF BABACHIR LAWAL AND AYO OKE, APPOINTS BOSS MUSTAPHA NEW SGF.

President Muhammadu Buhari has studied the report of the panel headed by the Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, which investigated allegations against the suspended Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Babachir David Lawal, and the Director General, National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ambassador Ayo Oke.

The President accepted the recommendation of the panel to terminate the appointment of Mr Lawal, and has appointed Mr Boss Mustapha as the new Secretary to the Government of the Federation. The appointment takes immediate effect.

President Buhari also approved the recommendation to terminate the appointment of Ambassador Oke, and has further approved the setting up of a three-member panel to, among other things, look into the operational, technical and administrative structure of the Agency and make appropriate recommendations.

 

LAGOS: MARRIED LOVERS FOUND DEAD AFTER HAVING SEX IN CAR

 

A couple of lovers have been found dead in a car parked on a side street Ogba, Lagos State.

The pair were discovered in a Toyota Corolla parked by the roadside by a tricycle rider who was alerted by the car lights being on even though the the car was motionless for a long time on Abisogun Leigh Street, .

According to the story published in PUNCH Metro, the man was found in the driver’s seat, half naked, with his private parts exposed, while the woman, who wore a dress, reclined in the passenger seat next to him.

Witnesses said it was apparent the couple had just sex just before their deaths.

The scene of the incident was behind the headquarters of the Area G Police Command, Ogba, Lagos State.

It was gathered that the executive member and the rider approached the vehicle, peeped into the car and on noting that the lovers were motionless, immediately alerted the police at the command.

Lovers-750x430

The car had been moved to the premises of the Area G Police Command when our correspondent visited the scene around 2.30pm, while the corpses of the duo were said to have been deposited in a morgue.

The NURTW member, Adewale Sofuyi, confirmed that he alerted the Area G Command to the incident.

He said, “A tricycle rider approached me around 9am. He said the headlamps of a Toyota Corolla by the roadside were on and that he had knocked at the car door without getting response from the occupants.

“I followed him to the scene and confirmed what he said. The man only had a shirt on and his lower body was totally uncovered. The woman was in a gown. They were both in the front seats. The seat where the woman sat had been adjusted so that she reclined in it. From all indications, they had had sex with each other before their deaths.


Advertisement

obahorcs
Click here to register

“I went to report at the area command and some policemen returned with me to the scene. The policemen moved the bodies to the back seats and drove the vehicle to the station. The police contacted the deceased families through their phones which were discovered in the car. They also discovered an empty bottle of an alcoholic drink”

According to the witness, both of the deceased families were shocked to discover the two were having an affair as the were neighbours who lived in the same building.

The Area Commander was not available for comments. However, the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, confirmed the report but said he had yet to be fully briefed on the matter.

He said, “They (the lovers) were taken to a hospital, where they were confirmed dead. Autopsies will be conducted on them, while investigation is ongoing to ascertain the cause of death. I don’t have their names for now.”

 

 

INTERPOL ISSUES FRESH ARREST WARRANT FOR MAINA

The International Police Organisation, INTERPOL, has issued fresh warrant for the arrest of the embattled former Chairman of the defunct Presidential Task Force on Pension Reforms, Mr Abdulrasheed Maina.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Programme, Politics Today, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, confirmed that INTERPOL has put Maina on their wanted list for his re-arrest.

Shehu also said Maina will appear in court to talk about how Pension funds were mismanaged adding that many people who ought to investigate Maina were beneficiaries of the mismanaged funds.

“And all the cases – you know there are a number of ongoing cases in the country which he would have been a part of. Now he is back home, he is going to have his day in court.

“People just sat down and were receiving cash from that man, knowing full well that it was the police pension that he was sharing. People who ought to investigate him, who ought to send him to trial, beneficiaries of that heist. In the coming days, the President will decide and all of these things will come out,” Shehu said.

The presidential spokesman said Maina’s issue is being investigated by different quarters organisations such as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)

“The matter is being investigated from all fronts. The EFCC, for example, is discovering more and more properties and its officials are sealing them. They are also looking at banks accounts and all that. In fact, this investigation will also touch some foreign countries.”

Speaking further on what President Buhari’s government is doing concerning the Maina scandal, the presidential spokesman said the President has got all the reports needed for a detailed investigation into the issue and the President will take more decisions soon.

It will be recalled that Maina was declared wanted by EFCC for an alleged N2billion pensions biometric scam in November 2015, a 24-count bordering on procurement fraud and obtaining money under false pretence.

The anti-graft commission has recently begun a search for him again after his return into the country and immediate disengagement by from the Federal Civil Service by President Buhari.

BUHARI SUPPORT ORGANISATION OPENS NEW HQ IN ABUJA IN READINESS FOR 2019 PRESIDENTIAL DECLARATION

Buhari Support Organisation, BSO, on Friday opened its national headquarters in Abuja, in readiness for President Muhammadu Buhari’s anticipated declaration for re-election and commencement of campaigns ahead of 2019

The event had top politicians comprising state governors, Ministers, National Assembly members and government appointees, and diplomats in attendance.

Some of the dignitaries at the event include, Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, Minister of State for Health, Osagie Ehanire among others.

Also in attendance is the Controller General of Custom, Col Hamid Ali (retd), while the Chairman of the occasion is Senator representing Lagos East, Adeleke Mamorah.

Buhari’s Personal Assistant on Social Media, Lauretta Onochie confirmed the event on her official Facebook page.

Sharing photographs of the event, Onochie wrote: “HAPPENING NOW.
“OPENING OF BUHARI SUPPORT ORGANISATION (BSO) NEW HEAD OFFICE.”