Category: FEATURES

Offender Bit Chunk Off Policeman’s Ear To Evade Arrest

A man who bit a hole in a police officer’s ear as he struggled to evade arrest has been jailed.

The male police constable required surgery after he was attacked by Daniel Ward, 26, in Runcorn, Cheshire, on December 14.

Ward bit the officer in Bridge Street as he was being detained on suspicion of assault and threatened to bite his colleagues in custody after he was eventually restrained.

Ward, of Norton Hill, later admitted wounding with intent, resisting arrest and a public order offence.

He also pleaded guilty to offences of robbery and possessing an offensive weapon in a public place after two teenagers had their bicycles stolen at knifepoint in a subway last January.

Ward was sentenced for all the offences at Chester Crown Court to Monday and jailed for 13 years, with an extended licence period of four years.

Student Fell Into Canal And Drowned After Drunken Walkabout

A university student was found drowned in a Manchester city centre canal days after he was thrown out of a club during a night out.

Orlando Nyero, 19, who was studying forensic science, was seen being sick in a toilet at Viva nightclub on Whitworth Street West and was then asked to leave, an inquest heard.

Friends took him back to the Jurys Inn hotel on Great Bridgewater Street and tried to put him to bed.

But Orlando, from Johnson Fold, Bolton, didn’t want to sleep, followed them back downstairs and ‘just disappeared’ at around 3.30am on June 3 last year, Manchester Coroner’s Court was told.

The inquest heard his movements were captured on CCTV cameras and he was last seen ‘towards the end’ of Deansgate Locks.

The footage showed him on his own walking, jogging and at times and running – but there was no evidence to suggest he was being followed or chased. His death wasn’t treated as suspicious after a police investigation, the inquest heard.

No evidence of drugs was found in his system but toxicology tests found the presence of alcohol which would have made him around two-and-a-half times the legal drink drive limit.

The tragedy came after the death in March, 2018, of 19-year-old University of Manchester student Charlie Pope, who also went missing after a night out with friends in the city centre. Charlie’s body was found in the same stretch of water.

Their deaths prompted a campaign calling for a review into safety around Manchester’s waterways and led to barriers being put up and certain canal towpaths being closed off at night.

After the inquest Orlando’s family called for more to be done to ‘prevent further unnecessary and catastrophic losses to families’.

Manchester Evening News

Don’t Come To The UK, Stay At Home – Government Warns Nigerian Women

The UK government is backing an advertising campaign urging Nigerian women and girls to find jobs at home instead of “risking a life of modern slavery” in Britain.

Posters are to be placed in schools, churches and marketplaces in an attempt to reduce human trafficking, sexual exploitation and forced labour.

They focus on “aspirational stories of women who have established successful careers in Nigeria”, according to the Department for International Development.

The Not for Sale campaign is supported by UK aid and involves the National Crime Agency and the UK’s Joint Border Task Force as well as Nigerian law enforcement.

One of the stories featured in the posters, TV and radio adverts relates to Gift Jonathan, a single mother who was raped and tortured while attempting to get to Europe but has since returned to Nigeria and found work as a pastry chef.

“Three years ago, I was a single mother with two children living with my widowed mother,” she said.

“Things were so hard that when my friend told me about travelling to Germany, guy I moved! We only made it to Libya. I was sold, raped and tortured. I saw many Nigerians die including my friend Iniobong.



“When I made it to Nigeria, I met with people who registered me in a vocational centre and encouraged me.

Today I’m a baker in Benin making enough money to take care of my family. My boys will not grow up to be ashamed of their mother. My name is Gift Jonathan and I am not for sale.”

Nigeria has one of the highest figures for modern slavery in Africa and is one of the top five countries of origin for modern slavery victims reaching Europe and the UK.

In 2018 alone, 208 Nigerian nationals were identified as potential victims of trafficking in the UK.

International development secretary Penny Mordaunt said: “Modern slavery is one of the greatest human rights abuses of our time.

“UK aid is working in partnership with the National Crime Agency and Nigerian law enforcement to stop it at its source.

“Together we are tackling the root causes of dangerous migration to prevent vulnerable women and girls from becoming targeted by traffickers.

“The benefits of this will be far-reaching – preventing regional instability and helping us tackle modern slavery here in the UK.”

Press Association

Jail For Gang Who Kidnapped And Tortured East London Teenager

Five members of a gang who kidnapped and tortured a 16-year-old boy have been sentenced to over 23 years’ imprisonment, today, Friday 12 April at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

Isaac Donkoh, a gang member and drill music artist who was from the Newham area was sentenced along with his accomplices, two 16-year-old and two 14 year-old boys.

All five defendants pleaded or were found guilty of kidnap, false imprisonment, GBH and a number of other offences.

Donkoh had previously enlisted the help of one of the 16-year-old defendants who knew the victim, and on the night of 2 August 2018, the 16-year-old made contact with the victim, suggesting they meet in Gordon Road, Barking. The victim turned up as agreed and a short time later a dark blue Ford Mondeo pulled up, with Donkoh driving and the four other youths in the passenger seats.

The victim was punched in the head and body and ordered into the vehicle. He was threatened with a machete and, once in the car, two plastic bags were put over his head and secured with an elastic band. In evidence, the victim stated that at this point, “I thought they were probably gonna kill me.” Donkoh then drove the car to the home of one of the 14-year-old defendants.

On arrival, Donkoh told the victim that the gang were in possession of a gun and two knives. The victim was held for approximately two hours at the address and subjected to a violent and humiliating ordeal. He was forced to strip naked whilst Donkoh filmed him on his iPhone and threatened to ‘cut him up’ if he did not do so. The men hit him with a metal pole over his face, back, legs and arms and his hair was forcibly cut with scissors, during which time he was slapped in the face, forced to kneel and kicked hard in the head.

Donkoh tried to pour boiling water over the victim’s head, resulting in scalding the victim’s feet, causing serious injury. The victim tried removing his socks but Donkoh would not allow him to. He was also forced to swallow a cannabis joint, kicked in the face and threatened with scissors, all incidents which Donkoh filmed on his phone.

The victim was forced to call his parents and beg for £1500 in order to secure his release.

A bag was then placed back over the victim’s head and he was ordered not to speak to police. He was taken back out to the car and released not far from where he had been kidnapped.

An investigation was launched by the Trident and Area Crime Command, and along with local officers from the gangs unit quickly identified Donkoh and his accomplices.

One of the 16-year-old defendants kept the victim’s iPhone and on arrest, sought to conceal the offences from police by telling them that he had found the phone in the street.

Subsequently on 16 August 2018, the victim was contacted via Snapchat, and was told Donkoh wanted him to drop the charges and not show up in court – and would give him £5000 if he did so.

Detective Chief Inspector Jim McKee, formerly of Trident who led the investigation, said:

“This was an extremely violent incident, which has had a profoundly distressing impact on the victim and his family. Whilst the physical scars of that night have started to heal, I believe the psychological impact on the victim has been lasting.

“Donkoh fronted drill music videos for his gang which goaded rivals and recruited boys as young as 14 to commit serious violence. I believe that removing Donkoh from the streets of Newham has done a great deal to reduce serious violence in the borough, as we identified a direct correlation between his drill videos which glorified violence and shootings and stabbings on the streets.”

Donkoh and his four accomplices were convicted as follows:

Isaac Donkoh, 22 of Ixworth Place, SW3 pleaded guilty to conspiracy to kidnap, conspiracy to falsely imprison, conspiracy to blackmail, causing GBH, perverting the course of justice by offering money for a witness and perverting the course of justice by attempting to persuade a witness. He was sentenced to 12-and-a-half years’ imprisonment.

A 16-year-old male pleaded guilty to conspiracy to kidnap and perverting the course of justice by offering money for a witness and was found guilty of conspiracy to falsely imprison and conspiracy to blackmail. He was sentenced to two-and-a-half years’ imprisonment.

A 16-year-old male pleaded guilty of conspiracy to kidnap, conspiracy to falsely imprison and conspiracy to blackmail. He was sentenced to three-and-a-half years’ imprisonment.

A 14-year-old male pleaded guilty to conspiracy to kidnap and conspiracy to falsely imprison and was found guilty of conspiracy to blackmail. He was sentenced to two-and-a-half years’ imprisonment.

A 14-year-old male pleaded guilty to conspiracy to kidnap and conspiracy to falsely imprison on 23 January and was found guilty of conspiracy to blackmail. He was sentenced to two-and-a-half years’ imprisonment.

Wife Caught Cheating With Hubby’s Best Friend On Camera He Accidentally Left Charging

A man in China allegedly caught his wife cheating with his best friend after accidentally leaving on a camera he was charging.

The husband, only known Mr Yang, said the incident unfolded in 2016 when he took his dash camera home and left it charging without knowing it had turned on.

Shocking footage captured the moment his friend Mr Liu, said to be a local mayor, turned up at his home to be greeted by his wife, Cui Hua, who he knew through work.

The footage, captured in August 2016 but only recently shared, shows the pair kissing as they greet.

They then have a brief conversation before Mr Liu appears to start undressing her.

Mr Yang explained he had been hiding the incident as his son was preparing for university entrance exam and only decided to divorce in January 2018.

Mr Yang said he had complained to the local government but had yet received any reply

Respinding to the accusation of cheating, Cui Hua replied to ShangYao News that she was a colleague of Mr Liu.

She admitted that the government had received her ex husband’s complaint and said: “If this is true, they [the officials] would have given me a warning.”

Cui Hua also denied that the footage was taken from a dashcam as she believed it was filmed on a hidden camera.

Read This Before You Respond To Any Automaker’s Recall. You Might Be Pressured Into Selling Back Your Car For Less

A Rothesay, N.B., woman whose Honda CR-V has been recalled says she’s caught in a battle with the automaker after it refused to repair her vehicle and instead “pressured” her to sell it back for less than she believes it’s worth.

The story published in cbc.ca reports that Renee Landry recently took her 2007 all-wheel-drive CR-V to a Saint John dealership to fix the windshield wipers. It’s then that she learned the model is under recall in provinces that use a lot of road salt over concerns the rear frame could rust.

But it remains in the lot at FundyHonda. That’s because Landry says she was told the problem was “not fixable” on her vehicle, and her only options were to take a $6,291 buyout offer or sign a form releasing Honda Canada from any liability if she chose to drive the SUV away.

“It just doesn’t sit right with me that they can tell me that my vehicle is not roadworthy and then they also get to decide how much they’re going to give me for it,” Landry said in an interview.

The recall was issued Jan. 17 and affects almost 84,000 CR-Vs sold between 2007 and 2011. Transport Canada said it applies to vehicles originally sold or currently registered in areas of heavy road salt usage, including Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, P.E.I. and Newfoundland and Labrador.

There are no laws specifying how automakers should calculate the value of recalled vehicles or what period of time they have to offer consumers to consider buybacks.

We were being rushed’

Landry said Honda Canada gave her a loaner vehicle for one week, telling her she would have to make a decision on her CR-V within that time period or the dealership would start charging her for storing the vehicle. The dealership subsequently told Landry it would not charge her.

She had hoped her CR-V, which has 240,000 kilometres on it but is in good condition and is paid off, would last another few years.

Landry looks over notes she’s kept about her dealings with Honda Canada over the recall on her CR-V.

(Graham Thompson/CBC)

“I felt we were being rushed and we were also really pressured into buying a car from Honda,” Landrysaid, adding there is nothing on the dealership lot she can buy for the buyback amount offered.

George Iny, director of the Automobile Protection Association, said while some owners are happy with their buyback offers, his organization is hearing from people who are not.

“The buyout offers are all over the map,” he said in an interview, calling the calculation process “opaque.”

Some offers seem very generous, he said, while in other cases “it would be impossible to find a used CR-V on the market in the condition of the consumer’s vehicle for the money they’re being offered.”

Landry was never told how Honda arrived at her buyback offer.

Honda Canada declined an interview request, but spokesperson Laura Heasman described the offer as “reasonable.”

She did not provide a breakdown of how it determined the value of Landry’s car.

Heasman said in an email the company “consults a variety of leading third-party vehicle valuators to obtain an estimated vehicle value based on key vehicle attributes such as model year, trim and mileage, as well as the overall condition of the vehicle.”

cars in lot
Landry’s Honda CR-V sits at the local dealership. After dropping it off for windshield wiper repairs, she was told it was under recall and could not be fixed. (Graham Thompson/CBC)

She said the automaker then adds a bonus amount to the estimated vehicle value as goodwill and to help cover sales taxes customers may need to pay on a subsequent vehicle purchase.

Landry thinks the process is unfair.

“The vehicle should not be assessed for value by the only people who are willing to buy it out,” she said.

‘Bully’ perception

Iny said there’s a perception that dealers and Honda are “going to bully you to try and get you out of your vehicle.” One way they do that, he said, is by giving owners like Landry very little time to make up their minds.

“There’s no legal imperative to ask you to decide to give up your vehicle in a few days. They could give you more time,” Iny said.

He also said some customers are not being told the recall provides for a second, more detailed inspection that could result in a more involved and costly repair. Honda, he said, “would prefer to buy your vehicle back instead of paying for repairs and keeping it on the road.”

He notes structural repairs are expensive and time consuming, with the potential to overwhelm the dealers that have in-house body shops. Every vehicle can be repaired, he said. The issue is at what cost.

2nd inspection

The recall details on Transport Canada’s website says if the vehicle passes inspection, dealers will apply corrosion protection. “For a vehicle that does not pass inspection, Honda will repurchase the vehicle. In the event the repurchase is declined by an owner, a secondary inspection and body shop repair may be possible.”

Fundy Honda general manager Dave Valiquete said they did complete a second inspection. But when asked by CBC News whether that meant lowering the gas tank, which is part of the Level 2 inspection, he replied, “Yes, we had it up on the hoist.”

When it was pointed out that putting it on the hoist is not the same as lowering the gas tank, Valiquete said CBC News would have to speak to Honda Canada.

Heasman, the Honda Canada spokesperson, said the company has been in contact with Landry and “intends to continue to work with her to come to a mutually beneficial arrangement regarding her vehicle in furtherance of this safety initiative.”

Landry said there’s nothing mutually agreeable about her conversations with the company, and said the most disappointing part of the experience has been Honda Canada’s customer service

Cylled from
cbc.ca


New Medical Doctor Stabbed To Death Day After His Graduation

Dr Stephen Urueye was among the 8000 students that graduated from the University of Lagos, Nigeria last Wednesday. Just a day after, he was stabbed to death by armed robbers.

He was attacked just outside the gates of Lagos University Teaching Hospital LUTH, where he worked as a House Officer.

His colleagues disclosed thay Dr Steven had just received his first salary the same day he was stabbed to death.

Steven was also the only child of his wofowrd mother

Two persons were on Friday arrested and charged with his murder.

Lagos State Police Command spokesperson Deputy Superintendent (DSP), Bala Elkana, a who described those arrested as “hoodlums,” said they were arrested at the spot where the Urueye was stabbed.

Bleeding heavily from the knife stab wound to his thigh, Steven managed to get to the Accident and Emergency Centre (A&E) from where he was later transferred to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

There, his fellow House Officers and senior doctors battled all through the night to save him but he sadly died around 3am on Friday.

The late Urueye’s remains have been deposited at the mortuary.

Meanwhile,

Emotions ran high in LUTH, Idi-Araba on Friday as soon as news of his death broke. Many medical students of LUTH embarked on a protest, calling for justice for the victim.

According to them, Idi-Araba has been overtaken by armed thugs. They called on the government and security agencies to beef up security in the area.

Some of his colleagues and other Nigerians took to Twitter to lament Urueye’s murder and also seek justice for him with the hashtag #JusticeForStephen.