Category: DIASPORA NEWS

London Youth Violent Crime Archive: East London Gang members Including 3 Nigerians Jailed for Murder Of 17 Year Old Fellow Nigerian Teenager

Seventeen year-old Kelvin Chibueze was stabbed to death in a gang-related attack in Ilford, east London.

Kelvin was chased from a private party at The Arteflex Club on the High Road at around 4am on Monday, 15 August 2011.

The teenager, from Croydon, was found with stab wounds to the chest in the car park next to Lidl and Fitness First.

Kelvin, known as Boss Don Gramz, died in hospital at 1pm.

The same day, Prime Minister David Cameron made a speech calling for a ‘concerted, all-out war on gangs and gang culture.’

Eight suspects were charged with murder beginning with Dale Williams, 19 [12/11/91], of Hart’s Lane, Barking, on August 24. The others were Lerone Boye, 24 [23/3/87], of Henley Road, Ilford, Roger Damali, 30 [30/05/81], of Macauley Road, East Ham, Joel Asare-Minta, 21 [02/08/90] of of Halbutt Street, Dagenham, Diphy Menga, 23 [19/06/88] of St Mary’s Road, Ilford, Ibrahim Zakari, 20 [30/10/91] of St Margaret’s, Barking, Kongolo Kongola, 29 [3/1/82] of Sewell Street, Plaistow, east London, and Hugo Nwankwo, 17 [14/11/94], of Park Avenue, East Ham.

The prosecution case was that several of the group were linked to the ‘Hart’s Lane Gang’ from Barking while the victim was associated with the rival ‘DAG’ gang from Dagenham. The same gangs had previously clashed in Beckton in February 2010, resulting in the death of Olukorede Fajinmi.

They went on trial at the Old Bailey on 5 September 2012. Jurors heard that tensions arose between the two rival groups ‘eyeballing’ each other at the party, possibly as a result of a petty squabble about a girl.

‘One group went into the rear garden to smoke a couple of times and whenever they returned things appear to get either tenser or the atmosphere a little more strained,’ said prosecutor Richard Whittam QC.

‘There was some recognition between some of the people present as to whether they knew them or the areas they came from.’

Jurors heard the victim suffered at least one stab wound in the club before being chased outside by men armed with knives, champagne and Hennessy bottles and a bar stool. He suffered a further five or six stab wounds after collapsing in Ilford Retail Park across the High Road.

A knife stained with the victim’s blood was found in Riches Road, not far from where Williams was stopped and arrested. CCTV evidence linked several of the suspects to the club and the car park. Detectives also claimed phone contact between the suspects in the minutes leading up to the attack inside the club suggested it was premeditated.

Half-way through the trial Kongola was cleared of murder and violent disorder on the judge’s direction due to lack of evidence.

On 22 November 2012 the jury convicted Boye, Williams, Damali and Nwankwo of murder and violent disorder. Zakari, who is deaf, was cleared of murder but convicted of violent disorder and jailed for two years.

Asare-Minta and Menga were both cleared of murder and violent disorder.

Lerone BoyeDale Williams

Killers Lerone Boye (left) and Dale Williams

Boye, Williams, Damali and Nwankwo were all sentenced on December 20. Boye was jailed for at least 28 years before parole, Williams at least 26 years, Damali at least 23 years and Nwankwo at least 16 years.

Judge John Bevan QC said: “The veil of silence that has fallen over the main participants in this case speaks volumes as to the cowardice and moral bankruptcy of those on both sides of this argument.

“Carrying knives, at least three on each side, is a comparatively modern phenomenon, which is approaching an endemic state among feckless, aimless youths who think nothing of wielding and using of knives in the face of the slightest provocation or perceived insult.

“We are still none the wiser as to the cause, and whether of not it has to do with gang violence.

“Whether there was rivalry, whether there was loyalty, whether it was revenge for a previous incident, I don’t know.”

Detective Sergeant Mark Romain of the Homicide and Serious Crime Command said: “Kelvin Chibueze was ruthlessly attacked, chased and left to die in the early hours of 15 August. The violence used brutally ended a young man’s life and showed scant regard for the safety of others in this busy venue.

“I would like to thank everyone who came forward to assist with this investigation and helped convict these violent thugs.”

Hugo NwankwoRoger Damali

Killers Hugo Nwankwo (left) and Roger Damali

On 16 October 2013, Boye absconded from a mental health unit, the John Howard Centre in Homerton, east London.

Detectives offered a £15,000 reward for information and issued a description. Boye was captured in a pre-planned operation in Chigwell on 21 January 2014. He was found hiding under a bed and told officers it was the ‘best three months of my life’.

Source: murdermap.co.uk

Advertisements

London Youth Violent Crime Archive: 17 Year Old Nigerian Teenager Stabbed To Death In 2010 East London Gang War

Olukorede Fajinmi, 17, was stabbed to death during a gang fight in Beckton, east London, on February 19, 2010.

The teenager from Ilford suffered a single knife wound to the heart during the confrontation outside the Powerleague leisure centre.

Detectives charged a 16 year-old boy with murder and he went on trial at the Old Bailey on October 20 the same year.

The prosecution case was that the killing was linked to rivalry between the Dagenham Boys or ‘DAG’ gang and the Harts Lane gang from Barking.

Prosecutor Ed Brown told the court: ‘Whether planned or not the events in the minutes leading up to his death were the direct result of two groups of youths coming together, some loosely connected with two opposing gangs.

‘The inevitable reality of this case is that young people were armed that night with knives. Had they not been Olukorede Fajinmi would no doubt be alive today.’

Fajinmi and his friends from the DAG gang had left the leisure centre at around 8.45pm when they spotted around 25 members of the Harts Lane gang, including the 16 year-old boy.

The smaller group of around ten Harts Lane boys gave chase and Fajinmi, otherwise known as ‘Shadow’, grabbed hold of the 16 year-old near a zebra crossing in Jenkins Lane. In the scuffle that followed Fajinmi was stabbed in the heart and the younger boy was stabbed twice in the shoulder.

On November 4, the 16 year-old boy was cleared of murder and manslaughter on the judge’s direction on the basis he acted in self defence.

The Recorder of London, Peter Beaumont QC, said: ‘Starting on the premise that it was [the 16 year-old] who caused the deceased’s death by stabbing in the chest, the Crown has nevertheless to prove that he caused the death unlawfully.

‘That is to say not in necessary and reasonable self defence. In focusing on that issue and examining the evidence available to the prosecution I have come to the conclusion that the prosecution do not cross that threshhold.’

The prosecution dropped a charge against a second teenager who was said to have stabbed the 16 year-old boy in the shoulder in revenge for the killing of Mr Fajinmi.

In August 2011 the DAG and White Hart gangs clashed in Ilford resulting in the death of 17 year-old Kelvin Chibueze, said to be a friend of Olukorede Fajinmi.

Source: murdermap.co.uk

Ondo Union UK Elects New President

The Ondo Union UK yesterday elected their new President in London

Popular author, journalist and community activist Ayo Akinfe was elected by a vote of 9 – 7 to be the association’s new leader.

img-20180528-wa0002711377988.jpg

Also elected was Olaolu Ogunrinade as Vice President and Chief Ayo Oyebade as Financial secretary.

The association’s new secretary is Funmi Fatusin while Dapo Ayodeji is the new Treasurer.

The Ondo Union UK which celebrated its 25th anniversary in August 2013, has been in existence since 1988.

Ayo.jpg

With Ayo Akinfe who is also the Chairman of the Uncelebrated Nigerians UK (UNA) at the helm, we are sure to hear a lot more about the Ondos in the UK Diaspora.

 

BaronessJ.com


 

SADE2018flyr

Mary Kay Cosmetics National Sales Director UK Bags Prestigious Women4Africa Award

The  National Sales Director, Mary Kay Cosmetics UK, Chief Mrs Elizabeth Ozua, was the cynosure of all eyes yesterday at the 7th Royal Edition of Women 4 Africa Awards in London as she bagged the prestigious 2018 Special Recognition Award.

w4a

The Women4Africa Awards is an annual recognition event which recognizes the achievements of women of African origin from all across the globe and from diverse backgrounds and fields of endeavour.

The latest edition of the Awards event which drew its usual crowd of Who is Who of the general African Diasporan community in the UK and from Europe, took place last weekend at the Kessington Town hall in West London

Elizabeth Ozua was born in the UK and raised in Nigeria. She received her BA and Master’s degrees from the University of Benin, Benin City. Following a stint as a lecturer at her alma mater, Elizabeth relocated to her birthplace, London with her family, where she worked as a Project Manager for London Transport.

While working as a PM, she met the person who introduced her to Mary Kay Cosmetics, 23 years ago. Impassioned, consistent and committed effort led her to become the number one [Mary Kay] Independent Sales Director in the UK and she later became the very first [Mary Kay] National Sales Director in the country.

Elizabeth has unfailingly held her position as number one for 14 consecutive years and counting. At present, she teaches, motivates and leads over 3000 women within her capacity as a National Sales Director with Mary Kay Cosmetics. She has received a number of prestigious awards, all expense paid trips, gifts and a lot of recognition from the company.

In addition to running her Mary Kay business, Elizabeth is an international speaker, motivator and trainer – mentoring people across the globe. Her passion lies in enriching the lives of all who cross her path. Her motto is “help enough people get what they want and you will get what you want.”

w4a18

Elizabeth is quietly and privately involved in charitable work. She is married to Dr Peter Ozua , a top Consultant at NHS Basildon Trust and they have two children.

 

 

Contributed by Dr Dayo Olomu


30652431_10215696755110285_7875489073190666240_n (1)

SADE PEACE MARCH 2b

2 Sons Of Wealthy Nigerian Parents Spared Jail Following Attack On Friend Over “Whose Parent Is Richest” Row

Two students from wealthy Nigerian homes who battered a fellow student with a shisha pipe in an argument over whose daddy was the richest, have been spared jail.

Elvis Ilonze, 20, who is so rich he had his Mercedes covered in fur, attacked his childhood friend Prince Nnaji in the flat they shared on North Street in Brighton.

Mr Nnaji tried to escape the flat but Ilonze, along with his friend Daniel Oluyemi, 24, chased after him and beat him with a wine bottle on April 7 last year at about 10pm
While inside the flat Louanna Rayawa, Mr Nnaji’s girlfriend, tried to stop the attack, but was pushed to the ground by Elvis Ilonze.

 

The pair also assaulted law student Chiedozie Dibiagwu, 23, who was sitting on a chair nearby and witnessed Mr Nnaji being assaulted.

Nnaji and Ilonze had known each other from Nigeria, but when Nnaji dared to suggest that he had the richer father Ilonze decided to ‘teach him a lesson’.

Ilonze and Oluyemi, 24, both pleaded guilty to two counts of assault occasioning grevious bodily harm and were spared jail at the Old Bailey.

Privileged’ Ilonze came to the UK to study a four-year Masters of Engineering degree at the University of Sussex, and is one year away from completing his course.

University-of-Sussex-Brighton.jpeg

His barrister Tom Hoskins said that Ilonze faces deportation back to Nigeria if he were given a sentence of more than one year in custody.

Oluyemi, who is training to become an accountant at the same university, is expecting a child in September or October.

His barrister, Johnathan Page, said that the right place for him is at home, preparing for the ‘momentous occasion’, not in prison.

Judge Christine Laing QC spared the ‘cosseted’ pair jail, suspending a one-year custodial sentence for 18 months to give them ‘one last chance’.

The judge said: ‘Unlike many of the people who pass through the courts you both come from, effectively, backgrounds of privilege.

‘It couldn’t be more childish, effectively an insult on somebody’s parents – who’s got the richer dad – that started this fight.

‘You both appear to be incredibly immature, perhaps as a result of being cosseted in your upbringing.’

The judge added that the pair of them, though immature, have ‘much to contribute to society’.

Both Ilonze, who wore a blue suit, and Oluyemi, wearing a grey suit and glasses, thanked the judge for sparing them jail before leaving the Old Bailey dock.

Ilonze, of Hendon, and Oluyemi, of Colindale, North London, admitted two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

They were each given a one-year prison sentence, suspended for 18 months.

 

Police Release Identity Of Man Who Died At Upper Clapton

Detectives investigating the death of a man on Upper Clapton Street in Hackney have released the victim’s identity.

On Wednesday, 4 April, police were called to a bookmakers on Upper Clapton Road, E5, after reports of a man found unconscious.

Officers attended with the London Ambulance Service (LAS) and London’s Air Ambulance.

Despite the efforts of medical staff, 53-year-old (08.07.1964) Babatunde Akintayo Awofeso, also known as Bobby, from Springfield, was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 26-year-old man was arrested after attending an east London police station on Thursday, 5 April.

He was interviewed by homicide detectives from City of London Police and bailed to a date in late April pending further enquiries.

Mr Awofeso is believed to have been involved in an altercation with another man who then left the scene.

awofeso.jpg

His next of kin has been informed and a post-mortem examination commenced at Poplar Mortuary on Friday, 6 April which is ongoing.

Enquiries are ongoing to establish the exact circumstances of this incident and any possible motive.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police via 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Recognising the current demand on the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command (HMCC) – with new and existing investigations – City of London Police approached the Met to offer assistance.

City officers are investigating this murder, supported by colleagues within the HMCC. The investigation is being led by Superintendent Lee Presland, from City of London Police and a former Met officer.

The Met routinely works closely with other forces, especially its neighbouring forces – which include City of London Police – on a variety of crime prevention initiatives such as Operation Sceptre to tackle knife crime, and we welcome the considerable expertise City officers bring.

MetPolice NewsDesk

Man jailed For Biting Off Police Officer’s Ear

A man has been jailed for biting off part of a police officer’s ear.

Shayhon Francis, 23, of Denmark Hill, Camberwell was found guilty of Section 18 GBH with intent on Friday, 27 April, following a trial at Inner London Crown Court.

He was jailed on the same day for seven years.

On 31 October 2017, Francis was stopped by a lone male police constable for a routine search on the Roupell Park Estate in Tulse Hill. Officers were conducting searches in the area following complaints from local residents about drug dealing.

Within second of being stopped, Francis head-butted the officer and, while the officer was on the floor, Francis bit off part of his ear. He also stamped on the officer’s head before running away from the scene.

The missing part of the officer’s ear was recovered from the ground but could not be re-attached.

CID officers based at Brixton investigated and identified Francis as a suspect. He was arrested on 2 November 2017, and charged as above.