30 NIGERIANS CONFIRMED DEAD IN HAJJ STAMPEDE

stampede im necca

A brother of former INEC Chairman, Prof Attahiru Jega,has been listed among Nigerians who lost their lives in the Hajj stampede in Mina, Saudi Arabia.
A reporter of an online news medium, News Express, is reporting that the Deputy Governor of Kebbi State, Alhaji Samaila Dabai Yombe, confirmed the development in Mina.
Chief Justice Abdulkadir Jega of Kebbi State is among the 30 Nigerians so far confirmed dead in the stampede that occurred on Thursday.
The figure of 30 was given by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria.
“Yes, the Chief Justice of Kebbi State, Justice Abdulkadir Jega, has died as a result of the incident that occurred while on our way from Muzdalifa to Jamra to perform the first ritual of stoning the Jamratul Akbar (the big Jamra) where we were caught up in the ‘sardine’ crowd of worshipers,” Yombe told News Express.
Yombe further told News Express that the state’s Amirul Hajj and Emir of Argungu, Alhaji Samaila Mera; the Speaker of the State House of Assembly; his deputy; and the family of the state Governor, Alhaji Atiku Bagudu, were among those who survived the stampede.
Yombe said apart from Jega, who was confirmed dead from bodies deposited at the mortuary, only two pilgrims from the state are yet to be accounted for.
He said those unaccounted for “are most likely to be among those who missed their way and may later be found and accounted for”.

Also confirmed among the dead victims are the Taraba State Amirul (Team leader) Hajj for the 2015 pilgrimage, Alhaji Abbas Ibrahim, the First Class ruler of Zing. The Emir was accompanied by two of his wives who also perished in the stampede.

Another prominent Nigerian who lost their life in the stampede is the veteran Journalist and former national leader of  the Federation of Muslim Women Association of Nigeria,  Hajiya Bilkisu Yusuf .

Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday said he was deeply saddened by the tragedy which occurred on Thursday in Saudi Arabia. He extended his condolences to the families of the over 700 pilgrims who lost their lives in the disaster, which occurred less than two weeks after a crane collapsed in Mecca killing more than 100 persons.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply