Month: January 2019

Former UK Diasporan Who Returned To Nigeria After 34 Years To Setup Hotel Business Murdered By Her Workers

The owner of Etashol Hotel and Suites, located on Budland Street in the Ojodu Berger area of Lagos State, Mrs Abimbola Olusola, and the manager, Tunji Omikunle, have been murdered.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the deceased were drugged, tied up and strangled by a gang that included some workers at the hotel.

Olusola, who had lived in London, the United Kingdom, for 35 years, was said to have returned to Nigeria recently and opened the hotel for business in March 2018.

Our correspondent learnt that the 56-year-old had issues with some of the workers, who allegedly defrauded the hotel of millions of naira.

Two of the workers were reportedly sacked after the police were invited to look into the matter.

Last week Thursday, a gang said to have consisted some of the sacked workers and some still in the employment of the hotel, allegedly conspired among themselves and drugged Olusola and Tunji.

They allegedly deactivated the Closed Circuit Television cameras on the premises, dragged the manager into a toilet, where his hands and feet were tied.

Our correspondent learnt that Tunji was strangled, after which the suspects proceeded to Olusola’s room and strangled her too.

Relatives of the deceased told our correspondent that the suspects fled the hotel, as family members met the lifeless bodies of the victims in the hotel.

The case was reported at the Ojodu Abiodun Police Station.

A family member of the late businesswoman, who asked not to be named, said Olusola was planning to lease out the hotel and return to London when tragedy struck.

She said, “The incident happened on Thursday night cum Friday morning. I was called that my sister had been murdered by the boys working for her in the hotel.

“From what I learnt, the manager had dragged one of them, called Light, to a police station for involvement in fraud in the hotel. There were also cases of stealing involving these guys. Two of them were sacked.

“On Thursday night, the men tied Tunji’s hands and feet and strangled him. I think it was after they had killed Tunji that they got access to the card that opens my sister’s room. They went to her bed, tied her up and strangled her.”

PUNCH Metro learnt that the woman’s 12-year-old son, who was to go to school on Friday morning, was the first to discover the mother’s corpse.

Around 7am when the school bus came to pick him, a vigilante member, who had tried unsuccessfully to reach the deceased businesswoman on the telephone, insisted on knowing her whereabouts from the son.

The boy was said to have found her dead on the bed in her room.

The family member added, “The child sleeps in a room in the hotel. Tunji used to wake him up and prepare him for school. But when the boy did not see the manager that morning and his school bus had arrived, he quickly got himself ready and ran out.

“However, a vigilante member, who had suspected that something was amiss after noticing some of the workers’ movements the previous night, waited at the hotel’s gate. The man had called both Tunji and the woman on their phones without getting any response.

“When the boy was hurrying to school that morning, the man said he should go and call the manager. The boy went inside and returned, saying he could not find the manager. He was hurrying to get into the school bus when the man said he should go and call his mother.

“He went to her room and raised the alarm after discovering her corpse.”

Our correspondent learnt that Olusola, who hailed from Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State, had separated from her husband.

Tunji’s uncle, Chief Tunde Omikunle, said the deceased was survived by his wife and twin children.

Tunde said, “He grew up with me before learning fashion designing. And when he was done, the family got a shop for him; he even had apprentices until last year when he said he had been employed as a manager in the hotel.

“His wife, a graduate, had just been delivered of a set of twins. She stays in Ibadan. In fact, he wanted to go to meet his family in Ibadan when his boss asked him to wait. It was that night that he and the boss were killed.

“From what we know, two of the sacked workers conspired with those still there to carry out the act. They drugged him and took him to a toilet, where he was strangled. Although they destroyed the CCTV in the hotel in order to cover their tracks, we still got to know that they were responsible for the killings.”

PUNCH Metro learnt that the case had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba, where one of the workers was being interrogated.

A source said the police had recovered the ropes used to commit the crime.

“There was no stab wound or anything on the corpses. The victims were strangled. We recovered the ropes used to commit the crime,” the source said.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Chike Oti, confirmed the incident, adding that investigation was ongoing.

Culled from Punch

Gang Of Thugs Who Took Police Officers On A Scary High Speed Pursuit Through East London And Threatened Them With A Firearm Thrown In Jail

Four men who threatened police officers with a firearm during a vehicle pursuit in east London have been convicted, today, Wednesday, 30 January, at the Old Bailey.

Lekan Akinsoji, 21 (15.01.98), of no fixed address was found guilty of possession of firearm with intent to endanger life and conspiracy to commit GBH.

Nathaniel Lewis, 23 (06.01.96), of Earlham Grove, E7 was found guilty of possession of firearm with intent to endanger life and conspiracy to commit GBH.

Darnell Joseph-Newill, 21 (26.03.97), of Willis Road, E15 was found guilty of possession of firearm with intent to endanger life and conspiracy to commit GBH.

Troy Ifill, 22 (13.12.96) of Torrens Square, E15 was found guilty of possession of firearm with intent to endanger life and conspiracy to commit GBH.

All four men will be sentenced on Friday, February 8.

On 26 July 2018 at approximately 22:45hrs, police were called to Lascelles Close, E11, to reports of men in the area brandishing a firearm.

Armed officers made their way to the area and spotted a BMW Series 1 matching the description of the car on Cathall Road, Leytonstone. After following the vehicle for a short time, the car made off. Officers illuminated their blue lights and sounded their sirens indicating for the car to stop, but it did not.

A pursuit began on Cobden Road, E11, ending in Bective Road, E7. The occupants of the vehicle brandished a firearm at officers in the marked police vehicle.

During the pursuit the officers used a specialist pursuit tactic, making contact with the BMW, causing damage to both vehicles.

The BMW did not stop and it continued at high speed along Odessa Road. During this part of the pursuit the officers in the ARV believed they saw the gun pointed at them again.

The pursuit ended when the BMW was blocked by an oncoming vehicle in Bective Road. The driver of the BMW fled the scene whilst the other occupants of the car were detained by police. All the men were wearing face coverings, gloves and one man wore a clown mask. Two of the men were carrying lock knives.

Officers discovered a shortened shotgun, a large Zombie-style knife and a Zombie-style axe in the car. A hunting knife was found under the car. A can of petrol together with the original registration plate belonging to the car were also found in the back of the vehicle.

It was later established that the car had been stolen during a burglary. The firearm was examined by a forensic firearms expert and identified as a single-barrelled shotgun, loaded with a 12-bore cartridge.

All four men were found to be gang members and had produced a number of ‘drill’ music videos, including videos bragging about gang activity and serious criminality.

Detective Chief Inspector Jane Topping, from Trident, said: “The four defendants who have been convicted today are extremely dangerous individuals.

“Given the weapons they had with them, including a firearm and zombie knives, I have no doubt that their intention was to seriously injure or kill someone.

The men brandished the firearm at officers and it is extremely fortunate that one of our armed response vehicles was able to respond and arrest these men, before they had the opportunity to commit serious violence. This conviction demonstrates that the Metropolitan Police will work tirelessly to bring violent offenders to justice.”

Poundland Launches Range Of £5 Vibrators

The discount retailer Poundland has announced it’s adding a new vibrator inspired by Ann Summers’ famous Rampant Rabbit to its range of purse-friendly sex toys – all in the name of love.

Earlier this month discount retail store announced it was releasing its own line of “placeholder” engagement rings ahead of a predicted surge in engagements come Valentine’s Day.

The Bonkin’ Bunny is on sale for £5, while the Rampant Rabbit usually retails from £30.

Customers wishing to purchase the new sex toy must just ask for “Justin” at the till.

The Bonkin’ Bunny is part of Poundland’s Nooky range which launched in stores in 2017. It includes products like the Playful Bullet, Finger Fun Stimulator, Vibrating Love Ring and Joy Ring, Sexual Vitality Supplements and lube.

Poundland’s not the only high street retailer selling sex toys for less. More recently, supermarket chain Sainsbury’s announced it was also venturing into market, with the launch of a range of rose-gold and silver vibrators and massagers from £8.

Thug Who Attacked A Driver In Traffic With Zombie Knife Has Sentence Increased To Three And A Half Years

A teenager who was captured on dash-cam footage attacking a driver with a large ‘zombie style’ knife in rush hour traffic has had his sentence overturned today Wednesday, 30 January at the Court of Appeal.

18 year old Joshua Gardner, of London Road, Croydon was convicted previously on Thursday, 22 November of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent – and had previously pleaded guilty on 7 June to affray and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.

He received the following custodial sentences at the Old Bailey on Tuesday, 27 November, suspended for a period of two years, and all to run concurrently :
– Grievous bodily harm – two years’ imprisonment;
– Affray – 12 months’ imprisonment;
– Possession of an offensive weapon/bladed article – 12 months’ imprisonment.

Today at the Court of Appeal that sentence was overturned and received a custodial sentence of three years’ and six months at a Young Offenders Institute.

The court heard that on 30 May at around 16:00 hours a 19-year old man was sat in his car in stationary traffic in London Road, Croydon, when Gardener, who was aged 17 at the time, pulled up alongside him on a bike.

Upon seeing Gardner the man tried to pull away and attempted to overtake the stationary traffic in front of him and, as he did so he almost made contact with Gardner’s push bike.
He then drove on the wrong side of the road in an attempt to get away and crashed into an oncoming vehicle and a van.

This led to Gardner abandoning his push bike and running towards the man’s car, producing a large ‘zombie’ style knife which he had taken from the right hand side of his trouser waistband.
Gardner then hit the rear driver’s side door of the car with the knife repeatedly. Gardner attempted to gain access to the car by pulling at the rear driver’s side door and then went round to the nearside of the vehicle.

He continued to aim kicks and knife blows at the car, hitting the front passenger window with the blade, smashing it, and causing the man to exit his vehicle in a panic and flee down the road.

The incident was witnessed by several members of the public, with Gardner’s outburst of violence caught on the dash-cam footage of a vehicle that was travelling in the opposite direction.
These images, which were widely circulated in the media, led to Gardner being identified and caught – thanks to a eagle-eyed police officer coming forward who had recognised Gardner due to a previous conviction for attempted robbery.
Arrest enquiries were conducted and on Monday, 4 June Gardner was arrested at an address in Thornton Heath. He was taken to a south London police station where he gave a no comment interview.

On, Tuesday 5 June Gardner was charged with affray, possession of an offensive weapon and attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent.

Are Liam Payne And Naomi Campbell New Showbiz Couple?

Liam Payne and Naomi Campbell have reportedly been spotted enjoying a date night.

You’ve probably already heard the news that these two were flirting like nobody was watching over on Instagram last week.

Except everybody was watching because they have more than 23 million combined Insta followers… and now the whole world is desperate to know whether this is really happening.

Making absolutely no efforts to dampen the ‘are they, aren’t they?’ fire, apparently Liam, 25, and Naomi, 48, enjoyed an evening at London’s O2 Arena over the weekend where they watched Nigerian singer Davido perform.

A source told the Daily Star Online, “Liam and Naomi were keen to keep a low profile. They entered and exited the arena via the back door and were quickly whisked up to a VIP suite on Level 3.

R&B Singer James Ingram Dies From Brain Cancer At 66

Grammy winning R&B singer and songwriter James Ingram has died from a battle with a form of brain cancer … TMZ has learned.
Sources close to the singer tell us James had been fighting the cancer for an extended period. Actress and choreographer Debbie Allen reacted to the news Tuesday, saying … “I have lost my dearest friend.
Ingram recorded several chart-toppers in the ’80s, including his #1 duet with
Linda Ronstadt, “100 Ways” and “Just Once.”
He won a Grammy for “Yah Mo B There” — his duet with Michael McDonald — and another for “100 Ways.” He was nominated for 12 other times for Grammys.


James worked closely Quincy Jonesover the years … recording and writing hits. For instance, he and Q co-wrote Michael Jackson‘s smash hit, “P.Y.T.”
During a Quincy tribute concert in L.A. last September, James was noticeably absent when Patti performed their hit song. She soldiered on without him, doing her best impression of her dear friend while singing his parts.
James was 66.

TMZ


Thank you for fond memories of my teenage years, James Ingram. RIP


#Totally80s


Italian Authorities Bust Nigerian Sex Trafficking And Prostitution Ring

Sicilian authorities have made a series of arrests after a suspected sex trafficking ring was believed to have forced at least 15 Nigerian girls into prostitution in Italy.

Among those arrested were two Nigerian women, Rita Ihama, 38, and Monica Onaigfohe, aged 20, who police believe organised the trafficking of the women from Libya to Italy. An Italian national, Giovanni Buscemi, was also arrested on suspicion of helping facilitate the trafficking and exploitation of the girls.

Prosecutors believe the group of young women were lured from Nigeria with the promise of work in Italy. They say before they left their homes they were made to undergo traditional oath-taking ceremonies involving complicated and frightening rituals. The use of “juju” ceremonies in the trafficking of women from Nigeria to Europe are widespread and have been found to have a profound psychological impact on victims.

“On arrival in Italy, the women [say they] were forced into prostitution and told they must pay back the cost of their travel to Italy,” said Giovannella Scaminaci, deputy chief prosecutor in Messina, who led the operation. She said that sex trafficking operations between Nigeria, Libya and Italy are highly organised and continue despite recent attempts to stem the flow of migration from north Africa to Europe.

“There is an industry in the exploitation of girls from the age of 14 who have all become terrorised and controlled through the use of these juju ceremonies,” she says.

Yesterday, Sicilian prosecutors in Catania also arrested 19 Nigerians suspected of belonging to the Supreme Vikings Confraternity, an organised crime group operational across Sicily. The men are accused of drug smuggling and the rape and sexual assault of Nigerian women in Cara di Mineo, one of Italy’s largest reception centres for refugees. Prosecutors told the Guardian that they were considering the possibility that the men arrested were raping women at the centre “with the aim of subjugating them and preparing them for prostitution’’.

About 16,000 Nigerian women arrived in Italy from Libya between 2016-2017. According to the UN’s International Office for Migration (IOM) more than 80% of them were victims of trafficking, destined for a life of forced prostitution on street corners and in brothels across Italy and Europe.

In recent weeks hundreds of people have been removed from reception centres across Italy as part of the populist government’s hardline immigration measures.

The moves come as a part of a concerted push to implement the “Salvini decree” – named after Italy’s interior minister Matteo Salvini. It abolishes humanitarian protection for those not eligible for refugee status, and was passed by the Italian government last year.

As a result hundreds of asylum seekers are now at risk of homelessness. NGOs and aid agencies, including the Red Cross, have warned that victims of sex trafficking are among those evicted.

“If this is true then the decree has been misinterpreted by local authorities,” says Scaminaci. “Nigerian women victims of sex trafficking must always be granted a humanitarian permit or a refugee status because of the consequences they could face if deported back in Nigeria.”

Last December, Blessing, a 31-year-old Nigerian woman who was trafficked into prostitution in Italy, said she had been removed from a reception centre in Isola di Capo Rizzuto, in Calabria.

“When the police came to tell us that we couldn’t stay there any more, I couldn’t believe my ears,” she said. “They took all of our belongings and escorted us out. There was a young girl in our group. This is outrageous. I have a legal permit to stay. And soon I may not have a roof over my head. I’m really frightened.”

Father Enzo Volpe, a Salesian priest in Palermo who has been providing assistance to Nigerian women for seven years, says that the clearing of reception centres is likely to increase the risk of further trafficking and exploitation.

“Leaving these girls in the street, victims of sex trafficking, is not only inhumane, it also means facilitating the work of criminal organisations,” he said. “With no protection, these girls risk becoming easy prey.”

Theguardian.com