The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has called on residents of the state with useful information concerning the alleged suicide that took place on the 3rd Mainland Bridge lagoon in Lagos over the weekend to please come forward with such information.
LASEMA General Manager, Adesina Tiamiyu, says the agency is yet to receive any concrete information regarding the incident making the round on social media.
Tiamiyu said that anybody with useful information of any missing person should report to the nearest police station or any office of the agency.
“We are still carrying out our search and rescue at the lagoon. Both the Marine Police and the Lagos State Waterway Authority are still there to see if there is any floating body,’’ Tiamiyu said.
He said the owner of the Ford Explorer Sports Utility Van (SUV) trending on the social media had nothing to do with the incident.
“He was only trying to help. He and his wife are okay,’’ he said.
Meanwhile, the Texas-based Nigerian woman, Toyin, whose photos have been going around as the person that committed suicide is fake.
Toyin is alive, another woman committed suicide but is yet to be been identified.
A gang of five youths have been convicted of the murder of another teenager last year.
Five teens including Victor Maibvisira, 19, Ephrain Akinwunmi-Streets, 17, Shezakia Daley, 17, Tyler Ralph, 17, and Jordan Dania, 16, were on Friday convicted of the murder of Teen Kyle Yule after he was punched, kicked and stabbed in the horrific bashing in Gillingham, Kent, last year – the gang attacking him “like vultures” after falling out over a push bike.
The defenceless young man was left screaming for help as he was stabbed on the front doorstep of his best friend’s home.
A witness told officers the group chasing him “were on him like vultures, kicking and punching him”.
Another said the group all had their hoods up, were stamping on him, and that they could hear him shouting “that’s enough V, V stop” and “help, help that’s enough V, leave V”.
The attack on the evening of October 6 last year was triggered by a stolen bike and followed several violent clashes between two gangs of teenage boys known as C4 and G10 in the Medway towns.
His mother Nikki Yule, who sat through the trial, today paid tribute to her son, remembering him as a “beautiful, kind hearted, funny boy”.
Speaking after the trial, the mum said: “Words cannot express the devastating loss of my precious son Kyle. His death has broken my heart.”
The cycle theft was said to be the “final insult” for 19-year-old Victor Maibvisira.
A court was told the 19-year-old “gathered his troops” and, having “tooled up”, attacked Kyle as “payback” for a split lip he had suffered in an earlier confrontation with one of the teen’s friends.
A jury at Maidstone Crown Court in Kent also heard from witnesses who described hearing Kyle screaming for help and for his mum as he was viciously attacked with a machete.
He was also heard shouting out to Maibvisira, referring to him by his tag name of Vee, that he had had “enough” and to stop the attack.
Kyle Yule, 17, was beaten and stabbed outside his best friend’s home in Kent
Five youths have been convicted of Kyle’s murder following an eight-week trial
One of the gang was filmed on an iPhone brandishing a range of knives
Killer Victor Maibvisira warned Kyle and his friend to ‘get his coffin ready’
The hooded and masked teenagers, who acted together in total silence, then fled on foot or bikes, leaving a stricken Kyle telling those trying to save his life that he knew he was dying.
He had been pounced upon by his killers, one aged just 15 at the time, as he sat in a Renault Clio in East Street at about 8pm. They smashed the windscreen and a side window and slashed a tyre, forcing Kyle to flee.
The gang, described by onlookers as acting as if they were “possessed”, gave chase and within seconds had punched him to the ground and knifed him five times.
His mum revealed her agony at the death of her 17-year-old son in a tribute:
Words cannot express the devastating loss of my precious son Kyle. His death has broken my heart and my children are broken without their big brother.
Kyle was a beautiful, kind hearted, funny boy. He was my best friend. He was extremely popular, brightening up people’s day, often the centre of attention and making everyone laugh. He was a fantastic big brother, grandson and son. He was very much loved and is so dearly missed.
Aside from losing Kyle, attending this trial is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to experience. I’ve had to listen to the awful detail of what they all did to my boy.
I want to say a particular thank you to the witnesses, many of them only teenagers, who have shown remarkable courage in standing up to these defendants and giving evidence. These young witnesses saw my son being murdered and now have that shocking memory that will live with them forever.
I hold my hands up to my family and friends that got me through this awful ordeal. To the girls that gave up their days to support me at court, to my sister-in-law and brother that were very close to Kyle who have had to relive this nightmare with me. To my mum and dad who literally held me together in those first few months. Without any of their help and support I wouldn’t have got through this nightmare.
I want to say thank you to the police who did an excellent job in identifying and finding these murderers so quickly and to Victim Support for all their help throughout this process.
Finally I want to say, I hope the outcome today will help send out a very strong message to all young people, that knife crime cannot and will not be tolerated in any way, shape or form. No one should feel the need to carry knives. People’s lives can be lost so quickly and needlessly, just look at what happened to my Kyle.
Five London gang members who made ‘drill music’, a niche form of hip-hop that glorifies violence and has been linked by police to a surge in knife crime, received jail sentences on Monday for planning an attack on a rival gang.
The young men from the Notting Hill area of west London, aged between 17 and 21, were arrested last November armed with machetes, baseball bats, masks, balaclavas and gloves.
They initially told police the items were props to make a drill music video, but later pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit violent disorder. They had been embroiled in a feud with a gang from nearby Shepherd’s Bush.
The court was shown seven drill music videos, which prosecutors said demonstrated how the group had been promoting violence.
One song called “No Hook” included sounds of gunshots and lyrics about shooting and stabbing such as “Ching (stab) Splash (stab) aim for his lungs,” police said.
The five received sentences ranging up to three-and-a-half years.
Prosecutors are also seeking criminal behavior orders that would ban the men from making drill music for three to five years. A hearing on that issue will be held on Friday.
An increase in knife crime pushed London’s murder rate over that of New York in February and March, for the first time in modern history. [nL5N1RG3LU]
Some social workers have disputed the link between drill music and gang violence, saying cuts in youth services due to fiscal austerity measures are likely to be a more direct cause.