Advertisements

Month: February 2018

Ghana To Tighten Control On Gold Exports To Protect Revenue

Ghana will certify the value of gold exports as part of efforts to tighten controls on the sector to ensure the state receives the revenues it is due, the vice president said on Tuesday.

Ghana, Africa’s second largest gold miner after South Africa, earned 5.78 billion dollars from exports of the metal last year, up 17.6 per cent on 2016, central bank data showed.

Vice-President Mahamudu Bawumia told a regional meeting on the oil and mining sectors that Ghana’s previous administration had allowed companies to assay gold produced from their mines themselves.

However, he said Ghanaian law required that the state-run Precious Minerals Marketing Company test and validate mineral production before export.

“We have now begun conversations about the process of making sure every single bar of gold leaving our shores is properly weighed, tested, valued and accounted for,” Mr. Bawumia said.

The government was also considering passing legislation stating that at least 50 per cent of Ghana’s gold output would be refined locally within five years, he said.

Mr. Bawumia did not accuse any mining firms of wrongdoing and did not suggest past exports had been undervalued.

But President Nana Akufo-Addo, who took office last year, has said about five billion dollars worth of revenues from gold exports to the United Arab Emirates were unaccounted for.

He did not give a timescale or details to support the claim.

However, industry watchers believe the unreported shipments represented smuggled gold produced by Ghana’s thousands of artisanal miners, whose activities are not properly documented.

The government has banned small-scale mining as part of a general clamp-down on illegal miners last year.

Their activities have heavily polluted some fresh water supplies and in some instances obstructed the operations of concession holders.

Mining firms operating in Ghana include Newmont Mining Corporation, Gold Fields, Anglogold Ashanti and Asanko Gold.

(Reuters/NAN)

Advertisements

Woman Cooks Philandering Husband’s Genitals In Acid (graphic picture)

A Nigerian woman who learnt that her husband was cheating on her with best friend took the drastic punishment of cooking his genitals in acid.

On hearing her husband had also gotten her friend pregnant, the unidentified woman coldly planned the uttermost revenge or ridding her husband of his manhood.

On February 15, 2018, when her husband returned from his working place, this woman calmly served him food and chatted with him for a while. Then she seduced him and they made love.
Later while her husband was asleep, the woman took the acid which she had previously bought from a local battery charger and poured it straight onto her husband’s exposed genitals.


The man was rushed to FMC Zaria and admitted for intensive care after being turned away by other hospitals.
Unfortunately, he died on Tuesday, February 20, 2018.

Police in kaduna confirmed that the woman is in their custody and she will be charged to court on murder charges as soon as investigations are concluded. The battery charger too is in police custody and will be charged with conspiracy to commit murder .

In her statement to the police, the woman said “I love my husband so much, I was not intended to kill him. It was so painful to me that he got my best friend pregnant and he could not tell me, I knew about it from outsiders. I know I have over reacted but I want his family, our children and government to forgive me, I never planned to kill him

Segun Awolowo Re-Appointed NEPC Boss

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the re-appointment of Olusegun Awolowo as Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC).

The news of the appointment was released via a statement signed by Femi Adesina, Special Adviser to the President (Media and Publicity) on Wednesday.

Mr Adesina highlighted that the appointment will last for a four year tenure.

Mr. Awolowo, a lawyer and grandson of the late Obafemi Awolowo, was first appointed to the NEPC position in 2013.

Trump’s Son In Law Loses Access To Highly Classified Information

White House staffers operating with interim security clearances — including President Donald Trump’s senior adviser and son-in-law, Jared Kushner — were told in a memo Friday that they will no longer have access to highly classified information requiring the highest level of clearance, NBC News confirmed Tuesday.

Kushner himself no longer has access to highly classified information, multiple sources briefed on the memo told NBC News, but a spokesperson for Kushner said Tuesday that the new clearance policy will not affect his “ability to continue to do the very important work he has been assigned by the president.

He is not the only White House official whose clearance is impacted: Other senior staff, like Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, had also been operating on interim clearances for access to highly classified information marked SCI — or, sensitive compartmented information. The change in policy was first reported by Politico.

The change comes after Chief of Staff John Kelly announced an overhaul of security clearance processes in the West Wing after domestic violence allegations against staff secretary Rob Porter led to his resignation in early February. Porter was operating on an interim security clearance, with his permanent clearance held up because of these flags.

An outside spokesperson for Kushner told NBC News Tuesday that it is “not uncommon for these clearance reviews to take this long in a new administration, and that the current backlogs are now being addressed. No concerns were raised about Mr. Kushner’s application. As General Kelly himself said, the new clearance policy will not affect Mr. Kushner’s ability to continue to do the very important work he has been assigned by the President.”

Still, it is rare for a senior adviser to the president to have his or her clearance process unresolved after more than a year on the job.

 

Under the guidelines, which were issued two weeks ago and went into effect last Friday, dozens of senior White House officials had been poised to lose access to classified information, according to documents reviewed by NBC News.

Trump said last week he would leave the decision about Kushner’s clearance up to Kelly, and White House aides maintain Kushner will still be able to do his job.

Over the past year, Kushner has repeatedly submitted updates to his financial disclosure forms, which document business ties that have drawn increasing scrutiny. The Washington Post reported Tuesday that officials in China, Israel, Mexico, and the United Arab Emirates have privately talked about ways to manipulate Kushner through his “complex business arrangements, financial difficulties and lack of foreign policy experience.”

Kushner’s role in the administration includes a mandate to negotiate on behalf of the the United States on the world stage, including the task of brokering peace in the Middle East and discussing the terms of trade deals with Mexico.

On Friday, President Trump praised his son-in-law’s performance, emphasizing the fact that Kushner’s work for the administration is unpaid.

Mum Of Three Jailed For Forwarding Child Porn Video On Whatsapp

A mother-of-three who forwarded a child pornography clip which showed a child being raped is due to be sentenced in March

Jadesola Agbalade (51) pleaded guilty to one count of knowingly distributing child pornography on July 20th, 2016.

Agbalade told gardaí­ she forwarded on the video clip via the messaging platform Whatsapp in a bid to warn a friend about the dangers of leaving her kids alone with her boyfriend, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard.

The court heard Agbalade, formerly of Deerhaven Avenue, Clonee, Dublin, is currently living in temporary homeless accommodation. Agbalade has no previous convictions.

Judge Karen O’Connor initially heard evidence in the case last month. On Thursday she said she had received a detailed probation report in relation to Agbalade which she wanted time to consider. She said given the nature of the case it required very detailed consideration.

Judge O’Connor adjourned finalisation of the case until November 21st.

Credit card fraud

Garda Enda Ledwith told Karl Finnegan BL, prosecuting, that he arrested a man in Dublin Airport in July 2017 in relation to credit card fraud. That man’s phone was investigated and the child pornography clip was discovered.

The court heard the clip showed a child between the ages of two and five being raped by a man. Upon further investigation, gardaí­ discovered it is an international clip that has been in circulation since about 2014.

Gardaí­ traced the phone number from which the clip was sent back to Agbalade. When they called the number, Agbalade answered and agreed to meet them at Blanchardstown shopping centre.

agbalade.jpg
Agbalade forwarded the sensitive clip via whatsapp

She handed over her phone to gardaí­ and admitted to receiving the child pornography clip and sending it on. As well as the male recipient identified by gardaí, she told gardaí­ she sent the clip to a female friend who has three young children in a bid to warn her “not to leave her children with her boyfriend”. That woman has never been identified.

Garda Ledwith agreed with Michael Bowman SC, defending, that Agbalade “didn’t understand the enormity of the situation” when she was interviewed. She told gardaí, “I didn’t know it wasn’t right. I’m sorry.”

Mr Bowman told the court it was a “remarkably unusual” case. He said there was no suggestion Agbalade profited in any way from distributing the video clip, nor was she involved in the generation of the material.

Usual circumstances

He said the usual circumstances surrounding child pornography distributors, who are usually found in possession of hundreds or thousands of images, were “completely absent in this case”.

The court heard no further material was found on Agbalade’s two phones, which she handed over to gardaí.

Mr Bowman said Agbalade had one teenage child still living with her and two adult sons who were in university. He said she was a single mother, originally from Nigeria, who came to Ireland in 2001. There were “no concerns” regarding Agbalade’s fitness as a mother, he said.

He submitted the stigma of a conviction would be punishment enough for Agbalade. “She will now be a sex offender and as a mother, that is a significant stigma in the community,” he said. Agbalade “comes to the court absolutely aghast at what she has allowed herself to become involved in”, he added.

 

irishTimes

Jobsworth Headteacher Bans Pupils From Touching Snow

A jobsworth headteacher has been slammed for banning his pupils from touching snow.

In the event of the adverse weather “beast from the east” currently sweeping across the country, schools have reportedly started banning kids from playing in the snow and having snowball fights sparking cries that ‘elf n safety’ has gone mad.

Ges Smith, from the Jo Richardson Community School in Dagenham, East London, appeared on Good Morning Britain to defend a controversial rule stopping children touching snow all together.

Other schools have banned snowball fights, but Mr Smith appears to have been the only head to have gone this far.

He explained: “It only takes one student, one piece of grit, one stone in a snowball in an eye, with an injury and we change our view.”

GesSmith.jpg

The headteacher claimed that playing in the snow leaves children wet and “unfit for school”.

However, he has been slammed for being for taking it too far.

Geoff Barton, a headmaster of 15 years., current general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL),told the Press Association: “Playing with snowballs is a part of childhood, even though it can be dangerous.

“I always thought it was a great opportunity for children who don’t see that much snow to have fun.


ADVERTISING
vid-20180224-wa0013_std.original

“It gives them a chance to experience what lots of us remember from our own childhoods.”

Explaining how teachers would police snowball fights, Mr Barton said: “We had a large playing field where pupils could throw snowballs, away from the school, buildings and cars. It legitimises a safe place for it to happen.

“All the staff would be out at breaks so we could have a civilised day of children hurling snow at each other rather than wintery anarchy.”

People have been quick to turn to social media to criticise the banning of snowball fights, with many claiming it is “just what you do when it snows.”

One person said: “It’s dangerous throwing them at cars but used to love a good snowball fight in school!”

What do you think? Should snowball fights be banned in schools? Please leave your comments.

As “Beast From The East” Hits The UK, Benefits Claimants Could Claim £25 Cold Weather Payment

A WEEK of sub-zero temperatures has triggered a cold weather payment system available to some Epping Forest residents.

As the country braces itself for the ‘beast from the east’ cold front due to hit Britain’s shores later this week, seven consecutive days of 0°C average temperatures have brought a government payment into play.

snow

People with pension credit or on income support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or Universal Credit in Epping, Harlow, Nazeing, Ongar and the surrounding villages can claim £25.

The alert was triggered on February 23 and runs until March 1.

Further information about the payments and eligibility can be found here.

Interesting news, stories and articles from all over the world
%d bloggers like this: