Advertisements

Day: January 3, 2018

US President And North Korean Leader Kim Jong-un Bicker Over Size Matters As Trump Resumes With Divisive And Taunting Tweets

Donald Trump has taunted North Korea’s leader about the size of his nuclear arsenal after his UN envoy, Nikki Haley, dismissed the value of proposed high-level talks between Pyongyang and Seoul.

The US president used Kim Jong-un’s New Year’s Day speech as the basis for his latest provocative tweet against the leader, whom he has previously referred to as “little rocket man”, saying the “nuclear button” in Washington is “much bigger and more powerful” than Kim’s – “and my button works!”.

In the speech, Kim warned the United States his country’s nuclear forces were now “completed”, adding that the nuclear launch button was always within easy reach.

Trump’s retort came hours after Haley distanced the White House from proposed contacts between North and South Korea, saying it would not take any talks seriously if Pyongyang did not abandon its nuclear arsenal. A few hours later on Wednesday, the North reopened a vital line of communication with South, raising hopes of a diplomatic thaw.

The president’s tweet drew swift condemnation – and some snark – from Democrats and foreign policy experts.

Reacting on CNN, Democratic congressman Jim Himes of Connecticut said Trump’s tweet has “Freudians” abuzz and shows an impulse “to demonstrate that his is bigger and stronger than anybody else’s”.

However, Himes added, a more sobering consequence of Trump’s hyperbolic rhetoric is that “it really doesn’t matter what the president of the United States says any more because it’s so bizarre, strange, not true, infantile”.

George W Bush administration and a Trump critic, said the president’s pronouncement was “spoken like a petulant 10-year-old”.

“But one with nuclear weapons – for real – at his disposal,” Cohen said. “How responsible people around him, or supporting him, can dismiss this or laugh it off is beyond me.”

Richard Haass, the president of the Council on Foreign Relations, a thinktank in Washington, noted that in the past 24 hours Trump has “threatened to 1) cut aid to nuclear-armed, terrorist-laden Pakistan; 2) cut aid to miffed Palestinians after he alters US Jerusalem policy, and 3) boasted his nuclear button is bigger than Kim Jong-un’s. This is our commander-in-chief. Think about it.”

Earlier on Tuesday Trump had tweeted that the US-led campaign of sanctions and other pressure were beginning to have a “big impact” on North Korea, referring to the recent escape of at least two North Korean soldiers across the heavily militarised border into South Korea.

“Soldiers are dangerously fleeing to South Korea. Rocket man now wants to talk to South Korea for first time. Perhaps that is good news, perhaps not – we will see!” Trump tweeted.

170831090611-kim-jong-un-and-trump-tease-large-169.jpg,

On Monday, in a speech broadcast live by state TV in North Korea, Kim said: “The US should know that the button for nuclear weapons is on my desk. This is not blackmail but reality.”

But he added that the North’s nuclear arsenal played a purely deterrent role. “The entire area of the US mainland is within our nuclear strike range,” he said. “The US can never start a war against me and our country. These weapons will be used only if our security is threatened.”

Advertisements

Tragedy For Couple After Hospital Staff Cut Baby’s Head Open During Emergency Caesarean Delivery

You won’t believe this happened in a “developed country”

A baby bled to death after doctors made a two-inch cut into his scalp during an emergency delivery.

Carson Allen died three hours after he was born during a caesarean at Nottingham City Hospital in July 2013.  After Carson was born, he was treated in intensive care and given oxygen for his underdeveloped lungs, while doctors fought to stop the bleeding.

An inquest into his premature death a year later ruled it was accidental. The court heard during the caesarean, doctors pierced a soft part of Carson’s skull while cutting into the wall of his mum’s womb with a scalpel. However, after a four year battle to get answers, the hospital has now admitted to ‘shortfalls’ in the care of the baby.

Mum Claire Smith, 41, of Top Valley, has been pushing for information from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (NUH), which runs the hospital, since the incident. Claire and her partner Scott Allen, 42, initially blamed themselves for their son’s death.

Despite their heartache, the couple decided to fight for justice and compensation from the hospital. The case – supported by Nelsons Solicitors – was finally concluded in December and ended in an undisclosed settlement for the family. Claire said the apology from the hospital is what she ‘desperately needed’, but it ‘hasn’t brought her closure’.

ceasere
 Carson’s parents Claire Smith and Scott Allen

The carer said: ‘I have been put through hell fighting for the reassurance that I could not have prevented Carson’s death. ‘It isn’t closure and the heartbreak will never end but it has given me peace of mind knowing my baby boy’s death was not my fault. ‘I’m constantly talking about Carson.

I go to the cemetery twice a day, every day. It’s important to keep his memory alive. He was only here for a short amount of time but he will forever be in my heart. ‘My message to others out there would be to trust your instincts. It’s why I fought the case – I did this for other babies, parents and families to ensure no one else has to lose something so precious in such a traumatic way.’

Claire, who also has an 18-year-old son and 22-year-old daughter, only found out she was pregnant at 27 weeks in June 2013. In October 2011, she had a procedure which is known to cause complications if a woman is to become pregnant again. The operation she had should have alerted doctors to this being a high-risk pregnancy. But the inquest heard there were several missed opportunities to check Claire’s medical records properly.

nottingham nhs.jpg

NUH has accepted that Claire was not properly advised of the risks involved with a pregnancy and this procedure. Head of service for obstetrics and gynaecology at the trust Dr Lucy Kean said: ‘We reiterate the trust’s condolences to the family on the death of their son, Carson, and apologise for the shortfalls in our care, mindful that no words or amount of money can undo the harm and distress the family have experienced as a result of this case.’

Recalling her heart-breaking journey, Claire said: ‘I found the inquest very difficult and have spent the past four years thinking this was my fault. ‘Homeless hero’ pleads guilty to stealing from Manchester Arena bombing victims ‘I thought the cut on Carson’s head was because of the procedure I had in 2011 – it wasn’t until the result of the post-mortem that I found out it was caused by a scalpel. ‘From start to finish, my care was absolutely horrendous. ‘For Carson’s life to end in the way it did is unacceptable.

During my C-section, the doctor cut my baby’s head so deeply that he died. ‘I am a good mum and the chance to be a mum to Carson was taken away from me. ‘It has been the worst experience of my life and I doubt my family will ever get over our loss. ‘I hope that others don’t have to lose something so precious in such a traumatic way.’ Widespread destruction left in wake of Storm Eleanor’s devastating 100mph winds At 30 weeks into her pregnancy, Claire’s waters broke and she spent five days in hospital, but was then discharged.

But at 33 weeks, she started to go into labour and doctors at the City Hospital declared an emergency Caesarean section was the only option. Baishali Clayton, expert clinical negligence solicitor at Nelsons Solicitors, acted on behalf of Claire at both the inquest and the claim submitted against the hospital. She said: ‘I am delighted that Miss Smith has received the apology she so desperately deserved. She has spent the past four years thinking Carson’s death was her fault, and hopefully this outcome will give her peace of mind and reassurance that it was not.

 

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/03/baby-died-doctors-cut-head-open-caesarean-delivery-7200298/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Woman Robbed Of £1000 Cash While Waiting In Bank Queue

This is the moment when a woman lost nearly £1,000 after being targeted by a group of thieves as she waited in a queue in a NatWest bank in east London.

A female suspect struck up a conversation with the victim to distract her while a man waiting behind bent down and removed an envelope containing cash from her bag.

The 46-year-old victim only discovered the theft when she attempted to deposit the £920 when she reached the cashier.

The distraction theft was discovered when police examined CCTV footage of the incident which took place at a NatWest branch on East Street in Barking at midday on September 16.

CCTV image: Police have released footage of suspects (Met Police)

Police efforts to identify the suspects have failed and today detectives appealed for help to the public.

The woman in the distraction gang is described as Asian, aged in her 20s with long straight brown hair. She was wearing a grey beanie hat, grey top, grey tracksuit trousers and black shoes.

The man who bent down to steal the envelope is described as of Eastern European appearance, aged in his 30s, with short black hair and a short black beard. He was wearing a cream-coloured T-shirt, blue jeans and blue trainers with white soles.

The third suspect is described as an Asian man, aged is his 30s, with receding short dark hair. He was wearing a black baseball cap, a dark-coloured body warmer, grey tracksuit trousers and white trainers.

PC Matthew Trenfield-Brown, of the Met’s East Area Crime Command, said: “This was a devious theft where the victim appears to have been targeted and fallen victim to a planned distraction theft, with three people seemingly working together to commit the offence.”

Anyone with information should call police on 101 or ring Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Governor Wike Offers N200m Reward For Information On Rivers State New Year’s Day Shooting

Nigeria’s Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has announced N200 million reward for anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of the gunmen who killed several residents of the state who were returning from church on New Year Day.

The police in the state have not been able to ascertain how many people died so far from the incident which happened in Omoku, a community in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni (ONELGA) Local Government Area of the state.

Mr. Peterside, a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, blamed the killing on a supremacy battle among rival cult groups and also accused Governor Wike of lacking the capacity to tackle the state’s security challenges.

Niger-Delta-Militants-e1465819983940.jpg
Gunmen opened fire on people returning from New Year’s Day church service

“I have said it time and again that Governor Wike lacks the capacity and competence to guarantee the safety and security of Rivers people.

“It is unfortunate that over 1,000 persons have been killed in questionable circumstances in the last two years under his watch. He should stop playing politics with the lives of Rivers people and face governance,” Mr. Peterside said in a statement he sent to PREMIUM TIMES.

Mr. Wike, on Tuesday, led the Rivers State Security Council on a fact-finding and sympathy visit to the families of the deceased, according to a Government House statement issued on Tuesday.

“We have placed N200 million bounty for relevant information that will lead to the arrest of all those involved in this unfortunate act of violence,” the statement quoted the governor as saying.

“Anybody who is connected to this crime in any way will have his/her houses forfeited to the government. This place has been peaceful before this unfortunate mayhem.

“We will not allow another case of this violence. We have mobilised the security agencies to take the battle to the perpetrators,” Mr. Wike said.

One woman, who identified herself as Comfort Ordu, narrated how the gunmen dragged her husband and three children from their home and shot them to death.

 

The governor commended the security agencies “for working hard to improve the security of the state”.

As he commiserated with the victims’ families, the governor said his government would support the families in burying their loved ones and also settle the medical bills of those receiving treatment.

“I am pained by this unfortunate mayhem,” Mr. Wike said. “Enough is enough.”

The police spokesperson in the state, Omoni Nnamdi, said no arrest had been made yet.

 

Police Renew Appeal For Mother Of Newborn Baby Boy Abandoned At Plaistow

Police who are appealing for information after a baby was found abandoned in Plaistow have released new images and footage of him in a bid to trace his mother.

It is now more than three months since the baby boy – named Harry by the medical staff who initially cared for him – was found in a park area close to Balaam Street, E13.

At about 08:20hrs on Sunday, 17 September officers and the London Ambulance Service were called to the scene to reports of a baby found abandoned.

Harry was found carefully wrapped in a white blanket and was taken to an east London hospital – he is now being cared for by the local authority.

Baby Harry still 2K507-17baby

Detectives from the Met’s Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command are investigating and enquiries are continuing to identify Harry’s mother and ensure she is safe and well.

In a renewed appeal, officers have released new photos and footage of Harry, taken when he was about one month old.

Detective Inspector Debbie McCormack, who leads the investigation, said: “It has now been three months since Harry was found. In that time we have been in constant contact with hospitals throughout London to see if Harry’s mother has sought medical attention but we have yet to identify her. We are growing increasingly concerned for her welfare.

“I would reiterate our appeal to Harry’s mum – please come forward and let us know you are safe and if you need care and support, we can help you access this.

“As you can see from the images, little Harry is doing well but we would urge anyone else with information, or who saw anything out of the ordinary in the Balaam Street area on that morning, to please come forward.”

Anyone who can help is asked to call police on 020 8217 6538 or via 101 or Tweet @MetCC.

Police Appeal For Help In Identifying Man Who Collapsed Outside Hospital

Detectives from Camden are appealing for help from the public to identify a man who collapsed outside University College Hospital at around 1630hrs on Tuesday, 26 December.

The male had suffered a heart attack and is currently in an induced coma. Medical professionals have described his condition as life threatening.

When found he was not carrying any identification. Due to his poor state of health police are keen to trace his family as soon as possible.

uch.jpg

Officers have released a photograph of the man in the hope that a family member or friend may recognise him and come forward.

He is of light skinned black or Asian origin and it is possible that he may be homeless.

Anyone who can assist in identifying this man should call CID at Central North Command Unit by dialling 101.

Interesting news, stories and articles from all over the world
%d bloggers like this: