Month: December 2017

Nollywood Star Opens Multi Million Naira House

 

Veeran Nollywood Actor, Kanayo O. Kanayo last week opened his multi-million naira mansion in his hometown, in Aboh-Mbaise, Imo State.

kanayo okanayokanaykana

The modest event on Wednesday, December 27th, 2017 was attended by some of his colleagues, friends and family members.

 

kanayo o kanayo kingsmenkanayo and peter

Former Anambra Governor, Peter Obi, officially cut the tape.

Advertisements

Americans Face Coldest New Year Day As Sharks Freeze And Niagara Falls Turn To Ice

More than 220 million Americans are preparing for the coldest New Year in living memory as the cold snap that has swept across the northern states prompts chaos across the country.THREE Atlantic White Sharks have been found frozen solid after washing up on Cape Cod Bay as temperatures in the US hit a cool -37 degrees celsius as 2017 draws to a close.Temperatures atop the highest peak in the north-east, Mount Washington, hit a shocking -37 degrees celsius – breaking the previous record at the Mount Washington Observatory in New Hampshire of -35C which was set in 1933.

In one Michigan county there were more than 30 crashes in a single morning yesterday as the freezing weather turned the roads to ice.

 A dog in Ohio was found frozen solid on a front porch and the bitter temperatures have been blamed for a number of deaths across the northern states.
The freezing conditions have hampered thousands of New Year’s plans with New York’s Times Square set to hit -11C – prompting warnings to revellers ahead of the celebrations.People have been warned not to get too merry and to wrap up warm to avoid being caught out by the big freeze, while the National Weather Service has warned of hypothermia and frostbite across the country.

ATALNTIC WHITE SHARK CONSERVANCY

Three sharks died of apparent cold shock in Cape Cod

REX

Tourists brave the chilly conditions to take photos at Niagara Falls

The cold weather has also prompted a series of car thefts, with police in the Cincinnati saying a number of motors had been pinched after being left running by owners who were trying to warm them up.In a tweet, the force warned leaving your car running means “the only person who will be warm is the thief who stole your car”.An arctic wind chill has struck the west coast too and in Erie, Pennsylvania, a storm dumped more than 65 inches of snow in just four days.

Zach Sefcovic, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Cleveland, said on Wednesday: “This is a crippling snow event.

 

GETTY

A pedestrian walks along the Chicago River

GETTY

Revellers have been warned to wrap up for New Year celebrations

“They are no strangers to snow in that part of the state, but this much snow in that short a time is just unprecedented.”The cold snap has left some parts of the US colder than Mars over the winter break, with data from the Curiosity Rover shows temperatures on the red planet hit -23C on December 20.While many are frustrated by the subzero temperatures, stunning images have emerged of some US landmarks that have been struck by the cold.

Some tourists have braved the chilly conditions to take in the views at the picturesque Niagara Falls, where water is freezing in mid-air.

Express

Dopped Up Waco, Texas Man Beheads Wife In Front Of Their Babies

Drugged up dad-of-two  chopped off his wife’s head in front of his young children before storing it in the family freezer.

David Dauzat, 24, savagely slaughtered his wife Natasha Dauzet, 21, by stabbing her dozens of times before decapitating her while under the heavy influence of drugs

The gruesome murder took place in front of his two children, ages one and two, who lived in the mobile home in Bellmead, a town just northwest of Waco in Texas.

Dauzat then called his brother and told him he had murdered his wife, whom he had just celebrated his second anniversary with.

 David-Dauzat-Murder.jpg

When police turned up and knocked on his door, he appeared to have blood all over his body and clothes before slamming the door shut.

Residents from the nearby area had to be evacuated while cops surrounded his trailer.

Eventually, Dauzat surrendered after talking to a hostage negotiator.

waco d
Dauzat with his 2 children

Cops found the children, who were not injured, near the decapitated body.

When cops investigated he told them he had been smoking pot, reports the Waco Tribune-Herald.

After the hearing, Dauzat’s defence attorney, Joseph Marcee, of Georgetown, told the paper: “It is certainly a tragedy for everybody involved in the situation and I think it highlights the dangers that drugs play in our society.

“I certainly think that factored into everything and I think it is a tragedy.

“My client took responsibility for his actions today and that is something he wanted to do.”

On her Facebook page, Natasha recently stated:  “I’m the happiest girl ever with an amazing Husband and kids and I love them.”

Dauzat was jailed for 52 years.

He will be eligible for parole in 26 years.

 

Kidnapped Finance Company Boss Released After Payment Of $1M Bitcoins

The CEO of Exmo Finance has reportedly been released from the custody of kidnappers after paying a ransom of $1million in bitcoins.

Pavel Lerner, a leading analyst and blockchain expert, was allegedly dragged into a black Mercedes-Benz by men in balaclavas while leaving his offices in Kiev, Ukraine, on Tuesday.

According to Anton Gerashchenko, an adviser to Interior Minister Arsen Avakov, he has since been ‘released in a state of shock’, the Financial Times reported. Mr Gerashchenko said: ‘We have operative information that he paid more than $1 million worth of bitcoins.’

Pavel Lerner, a leading analyst and blockchain expert, was allegedly dragged into a black Mercedes-Benz by men in balaclavas while leaving his offices in Kiev, Ukraine, on tuesday.

pavel.jpg
Pavel Lerner – CEO Exmo Finance released from custody of kidnappers after alleged payment $1million in bitcoins payment was made

 

‘This is the first such case in Ukraine linked to bitcoins.’ It was unclear who paid the ransom. Lerner’s work at EXMO did not involve access to the financial assets of its users, the company said, adding that the platform was operating normally. The statement added: ‘At the moment, he is safe, and there was no physical harm inflicted on him. ‘Nevertheless, Pavel is currently in a state of major stress, therefore, he will not provide any official comments in the coming days.’

 

Man holding a phone with a bitcoin exchange rate

Lerner’s work at EXMO did not involve access to the financial assets of its users, the company said, adding that the platform was operating normally. (Picture: Getty Images)

News of the release came as bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies rebounded after two days of losses partly related to regulators toughening rules on digital currencies in an effort to curb excessive speculation.

Many digital currencies surged in value this year. Strana.ua, a local news website, had earlier reported that six gun-toting men in dark clothing and balaclavas had snatched Lerner and pushed him into a minibus with stolen number plates.

Kiev police have begun a criminal investigation after confirming that a man was kidnapped in the Obolon district of Kiev, but did not reveal the name of the victim. EXMO has 900,000 users as of December 2017, according to its website.

 

MetroUK

Prince Harry In Trouble With Prospective In-laws Over “Meghan’s Family” Comment

The Markle family is not letting Prince Harry,  off the hook for a recent comment he made about them.

Meghan Markle’s dad, Thomas Markle Sr., 73, is extremely hurt by Prince Harry’s claim that that she didn’t have close relationships with her family while growing up.

Coming to his father’s defense, Meghan’s brother Thomas Markle Jr., 51, vehemently denounces that comment, explaining that Meghan was surrounded by love and support during her childhood, according to The Daily Mail. “We were as close as we could be, as tight as we could be, that’s what we were,” he said.

Although Meghan’s dad and her mother Doria Radlan, 61, divorced when Meghan was only six, Thomas Jr. claims the family made it their mission to keep their bond strong. “We’d get together on Christmases, on holidays, on birthdays, on Thanksgivings… It was always somewhere, even though we lived in different parts of the city,” Thomas continued.

Meghan and Thomas Jr. have different mothers, which made it slightly difficult to spend time together, but that by no means meant she didn’t have a family. When it comes to their father, Thomas said he went above and beyond. “He dedicated the majority of all his time and everything to her. He made sure she had what she needed to be successful and to get where she’s at today.” We’re sure that Prince Harry’s comment wasn’t meant to cause so much tension, but we can understand why the Markles are so upset.

Meghan Markle and Thomas Markle Sr.
Meghan Markle and Thomas Markle Sr.
MARKLE

Thomas Jr. isn’t the only one speaking out against Harry.

Meghan’s sister Samantha Markle, 52, took to Twitter to share that, Prince Harry was completely wrong for his remark. “Actually she has a large family who were always there with her and for her.

SAMANT.jpg

Our household was very normal and when dad and Doria divorced, we all made it so it was like she had two houses. No one was estranged, she was just too busy. Read my books complete with facts and photos,” she said. Samantha will be writing a tell-all book that will detail everything about Meghan’s childhood. It’s safe to say she has a lot to get off her chest.

Record Number Of Ogun State Indigenes Appointed To Federal Agencies By President Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has made the largest set of appointments of Chairmen and Members of Boards of Federal Agencies and Parastatals since assuming office.

The president on Friday announced  the appointment of 209 board chairmen and 1,258 board members according to a statement from the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

These appointments also boast a record number of Ogun State Indigenes than any other Nigerian government in recent history has managed. Over 40 of the new appointees reportedly recommended by Governor Ibikunle Amosun are from Ogun State.

Amosun3.jpg
Governor Ibikunle Amosun

Among the new appointees are Chief Executive Officer of Heyden Petroleum Limited, Senator Dapo Abiodun who was appointed as the Chairman Corporate Affairs Commission, and former Ogun State Commissioner for Information, Mrs Doyin Ogunbiyi who was appointed to the board of Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria in Ibadan.

Mrs Doyinsola Ogunbiyi (l) and Senator Dapo Abiodun (r)

 

A statement issued from the Presidency following the release of the list, reads:

The President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, has approved the constitution of the Governing Boards of Agencies and Parastatals, under some Ministries, as well as the appointment of eminently qualified Nigerians to fill the Board positions, numbering 209 Chairmen and 1258 members.

2. Mr. President considered the approval for the constitution of the Boards as well as the appointments, very necessary, so as to provide a proper Governance and oversight structure for Government Agencies and Parastatals. The constitution of the boards with the appointments, is a demonstration of this Government’s efforts aimed at building strong institutions of Governance, and by extension, improving the quality of Policy formulation and supervision.

3. While these appointments represent a substantial number of hitherto pending board appointments, some more appointments are still being processed and will be released in due course.

4. The appointments take immediate effect and Honourable Ministers are advised to inaugurate the boards after letters of appointment have been issued

 

 

Below is the list of some of the Ogun State appointees ;

1.Chf Derin Adebiyi,
2 Dr Femi Majekodunmi,
3. Capt Tunde Adedimeji,
4. Kehinde Soaga,
5. Hon. Bode Mustapha,
6. Tope Kuyebi,
7. Mrs Doyin Ogunbiyi,
8. Sen Kola Bajomo,
9. Chf Doja Adewolu,
10. Dr Tokunbo Oshin,
11. Engr Yomi Ademefun,
12. Sen Mamora (Ogun State?),
13. Bakai Okedara,
14. CP Olayinka Balogun rtd,
15. Chf Daniel Adejobi,
16. Engr Sina Adegbenro,
17. Barr Yomi Omoyinmi,
18. Hon Kunle Elegbede,
19. Alh Tajudeen Lemboye,
20. Alh Bashiru Ajibabi,
21. Prince Dapo Abiodun,
22. Wale Okunniyi,
23. Tunde Kelani,
24. Chf Dayo Abatan,
25. Mrs. Bolanle Kuku,
26. Barr Masud Taiwo,
27. Dr Michael Somoye,
28. Chf Jide Awosedo,
29. Dr Gbolade Osinowo,
3o. Sen Dipo Odujinrin,
31. Sola Lawal,
32. Toyin Ayebusiwa,
33. Rotimi Rahman,
34. Mrs Bukky Osunrinde,
35. Adenekan Gbadebo,
36. Babatunde Elias,
37. Barr Bayo Olorunwo.
38. Olubunmi Solarin.
38. Femi Sowolu
40. Hon Kazeem Salako
41. Mrs Oluwaseun Ogunleye
42. Femi Ogunsola
43. Muyiwa Coker

*Featured image of President Buhari and his Vice Professor yemi Osinbajo by Novo-Isioro

 

Med-View Airline Passengers Stranded At Gatwick Airport For Five Days

Hundreds of passengers trying to get home to Nigeria for Christmas have been stranded at Gatwick Airport for up to five days.

Up to 800 passengers travelling with Nigerian airline Med-View have not been able to leave the UK since December 22.

Many told how they felt “abandoned” by the airline over the festive period and that some had missed Christmas with their families.

Med-View was forced to ground flights due to “ongoing technical problems”, Gatwick confirmed on Thursday. The airport has apologised on behalf of the airline.

Flights are not expected to run as scheduled on Friday.

Ola Domi, 26, from Coventry, told the Sun he had missed his family’s Christmas in Lagos. He said: “I feel abandoned and disrespected.

“I’ve been told there will be no flights until next year.”

Another passenger, Abbey Kukoyi, from Surrey, said he paid more than £1,000 for a ticket and was due to fly on December 23.

medb

He told the newspaper: “This airline should be shut down.

“They are selling tickets still despite hundreds of people waiting around here for days on end.”

In a statement on Thursday, Gatwick said “ongoing technical problems” continued to affect flight departures.

The airport wrote: “Passengers due to travel to Lagos with Med-View Airline are advised that due to ongoing technical problems there are no scheduled Med-View flights on Thursday December 28 or Friday December 29.

“At this stage Gatwick is not able to provide any further information on future Med-View flights planned between now and the end of the year.”

Passengers were urged to leave the airport and make alternative travel plans or to try to rebook their flights with Med-View.

Meanwhile, passengers shared videos of the “chaos” at the airport. One woman, known as @ChyLady, said she was stranded at the airport after her flight suffered a “technical fault” on December 22.

While others voiced their frustration and confusion as they were left in the UK for days.

One woman wrote: “#worstairline #poorcustomerservice , they have kept passengers in UK for 3 days without explanation or compensation, All their phone lines ring and #noone picks, #careless #unproffesional #airline.”

A Gatwick spokeswoman said: “Due to a lack of available aircraft, a significant number of Med-View passengers have not flown out, from Gatwick, as expected since Friday December 22.  The vast majority of these passengers have left the airport to make alternative travel plans, with the number of Med-View passengers currently at the airport in single figures.

medview

“Gatwick staff are assisting these passengers where possible and will continue to work with the airline and other authorities to ensure that Med-View honours its commitments to their passengers. We would like to apologise to all affected passengers on behalf of the airline.

“We sympathise with affected passengers and share their disappointment with the delays experienced by Med-View during the last few days. Passengers have been provided, by Gatwick, with vouchers for food and water during their time at the airport and hotel accommodation on Wednesday December 27.”