Day: November 15, 2017

LONDON: WESTFIELD GOES TO CROYDON AS COUNCIL APPROVES PLAN FOR NEW SHOPPING MALL

A new £1.4 billion Westfield shopping centre in Croydon has been unanimously approved by councillors.

Work will begin on London’s third Westfield complex in 2019, with 7,000 new jobs and 1,000 new homes included in the plans.

The building project will form the heart of a scheme to regenerate Croydon town centre, with the centre itself sitting within a redeveloped core of Croydon’s former Whitgift Shopping Centre.

The centre will offer the public a choice of more than 300 shops, restaurants, cafes and leisure facilities – as well as a new multi-screen cinema and bowling alley.

The scheme was jointly negotiated between the Council, the Croydon Partnership, responsible for the plan’s overall planning, the Greater London Authority (GLA), and the Minister for London Greg Hands, with backing from the area’s three local MPs.

Leader of Croydon Council Tony Newman said he was “delighted” that developers had been granted approval to commence the works, and said the plans marked confidence in the town as a place to invest.

How the third Westfield in Croydon might look

He said: “This is fantastic news for Croydon and we have been doing everything we can to bring the redevelopment of the Whitgift Centre to fruition so local people can benefit from its wealth of offerings, including the creation of 7,000 new jobs.

“The new homes and the thousands of jobs this development will bring shows investors are rightly confident about Croydon as a place to live, work and spend free time.”

Sarah Jones, MP for Croydon Central, tweeted: “Brilliant that Croydon Council approved £1.4bn Westfield development this evening.

“Croydon is one of the most exciting places to live in London right now – with Boxpark, the Fairfield halls development, street art, huge musical talent and Tech City.”

 

Westfield UK/Europe’s head of development, John Burton, said: “The approval of the £1.4bn plans to redevelop the Whitgift Centre represents a significant milestone for the project and for Croydon.”

He added: “The positive response from the London Borough of Croydon provides confidence to retailers, investors and the community, enabling the Croydon Partnership to create South London’s best retail, dining and leisure destination and deliver new homes and 7,000 jobs.”

There are currently Westfield shopping centres in Shepherds Bush and Stratford.

Martin Corney, Chief Executive, The Whitgift Foundation, said: “This is a momentous decision for Croydon’s future and we are thrilled that approval has been given by the Council for the scheme to go ahead and create one of the UK’s top 10 shopping and entertainment destinations.

“This is also significant for the Foundation to secure our future funding so that more children can attend our schools, as well as offering increased care and support to older people and the borough’s carers who are looking after a friend or relative.

“As a Croydon landowner and charity, we are in a unique position to help safeguard the town’s future prosperity for decades to come and ensure our rental income is put back into the community through our charitable activities.”

 

Advertisements

ZIMBABWE MILITARY OUTS MUGABE FROM POWER IN BLOODLESS TRANSITION

 

The Zimbabwean army has  secured the President’ Robert Mugabe and taken control of Harare, the nations capital in what it calls a bloodless transition of power.

 

Soldiers have been deployed to the streets across the nations capital, Harare. Soldiers and armored vehicles have blocked roads to the main government offices, the parliament, and the courts in central Harare. The army has also taken over the headquarters of the national broadcaster.

In a series of tweets on Wednesday, Mugabe’s own ruling party denied that the totality of those activities amounted to a coup.

“Zimbabwe has not had a coup. There has been a decision to intervene because our constitution had been undermined, in the interim Comrade E Mnagngawa will be president of ZANU PF as per the constitution of our revolutionary organization,” it said in one tweet, referring to Emmerson Mnangagwa, who Mugabe sacked as his vice president earlier in the week.

“Last night the first family was detained and are safe, both for the constitution and the sanity of the nation this was necessary. Neither Zimbabwe nor ZANU are owned by Mugabe and his wife,” it said in another.

It was not clear who exactly was posting the tweets, and whether they reflected the mentality of the entire party.

This file photo, taken on November 8, 2017, shows Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe (L). (By AFP)

 

Zimbabwean soldiers overran the headquarters of the state broadcaster and ordered staff to leave overnight Tuesday. After taking control of the national broadcaster, a spokesman for the military interrupted taped programming and read out a statement early on Wednesday.

“To both our people and the world beyond our borders, we wish to make it abundantly clear that this is not a military takeover of government,” said Major General S.B. Moyo.

He insisted that the army had taken action to “target criminals,” who were “committing crimes that are causing social and economic suffering” and was planning to “bring them to justice.”

“As soon as we have accomplished our mission, we expect that the situation will return to normalcy,” he added.

Zimbabwean soldiers and military vehicles are seen just outside the capital on November 14, 2017. (Photo by Reuters)

The statement did not clarify who it was referring to as “criminals” around Mugabe, but a government source later told Reuters that Finance Minister Ignatius Chombo had been among those detained. The minister was a leading member of the so-called ‘G40’ faction of the ZANU-PF party, run by the president’s wife, Grace Mugabe.

Moyo called on security services to “co-operate for the good of our country” and warned that any provocation would “be met with an appropriate response.”

He said all soldiers on leave “should return to barracks immediately.”

The major general also urged the public to remain calm but called on them “to limit unnecessary movement.”

Shortly after the army seized the national broadcaster, a number of loud explosions were heard in the capital, Harare.

And so begins a coup

Zimbabwe has been on edge since Monday, when army chief General Constantino Chiweng held a press conference warning that the army was prepared to act to end purges within Mugabe’s ZANU-PF party. The ruling party accused the army chief of “treasonable conduct.”

Political tension started to rise in the South African country after Mugabe, in a sudden decision, sacked Mnangagwa this week.

Mnangagwa had previously been considered the most likely to succeed the president if Mugabe resigned or died while in power. His sudden dismissal, however, raised speculations that Mugabe was clearing the way for his wife, Grace, to take the position.

Mugabe, 93, came to power in the 1980s. He has been the longest serving leader in Africa.

Zimbabwean military vehicles are seen just outside the capital, on November 14, 2017. (Photo by Reuters)

‘Coup by any name’

A former political aide to ex-Zimbabwean prime minister Morgan Tsvangari, told the CNN that the army’s action was “a coup by any other name.”

“They are being very careful in their words,” said Alex Magaisa. “They might be trying to give a fig leaf to the notion that President Mugabe is still the leader. But de facto they are obviously the military force.”

US, UK issue warnings to citizens

The United States and the United Kingdom both issued warnings to their citizens inside the African country.

US State Department encouraged the Americans in the country to “shelter in place until further notice” due to ongoing uncertainty and political unrest. A US embassy spokesman in Zimbabwe also said the embassy would be closed to the public on Wednesday.

The UK Foreign Office, meanwhile, advised Britons in Zimbabwe to avoid demonstrations and rallies, saying it was “monitoring the situation closely.”