Men who have performed oral sex on five or more women are at greater risk of developing head and neck cancer, especially if they smoke.
Oropharyngeal cancer can be triggered by contracting the human papilloma virus (HPV), which is a common cause of cervical cancer in women.
Although the risk of diagnosis remains low – just 0.7 per cent of the male population – US researchers warned that men are more likely than woman to contract it.
According to the research, published in the journal Annals of Oncology, 15 per cent of men who smoked and had five or more oral sex partners are most likely to get HPV.
Around seven per cent of men who smoke and have had two to four oral sex partners contract the infection.
And the lowest risk group were those who had one or no oral sex partners in their lifetimes, with only 1.5 per cent of them getting an oral HPV infection. This rises to four per cent among non-smokers with two to four oral sex partners.
The risk was much lower among women, anyone who did not smoke, and people who had less than five oral sex partners in their lifetimes.
One of the authors of the study, Dr Amber D’Souza, said cases of head and neck cancer are predicted to overtake cervical cancer by 2020 and said that, because of this, an effective screening process was crucial.
“It would be useful to be able to identify healthy people who are most at risk of developing oropharyngeal cancer in order to inform potential screening strategies, if effective screening tests could be developed,” she said.
“Most people perform oral sex in their lives, and we found that oral infection with cancer-causing HPV was rare among women regardless of how many oral sex partners they had.
“Among men who did not smoke, cancer-causing oral HPV was rare among everyone who had less than five oral sex partners, although the chances of having oral HPV infection did increase with number of oral sexual partners, and with smoking.”
Researchers analysed data from 13,089 people, aged 20-69.They used the numbers of oropharyngeal cancer cases and deaths from US registries to predict the risk of cancer from oral HPV infection.
There are over 100 different kinds of HPV but only a few are known to cause cancer. HPV 16 or 18, for example, is known to cause most cervical cancer, and HPV 16 also triggers oropharyngeal cancer.
Detectives are appealing for information after a man was left fighting for his life following a shooting in Haringey.
The victim, who is 28 and the father of a new born baby, has been left in a critical condition after the attack.
The brutal attack happened at about 00:20hrs on Saturday, 14 October in West Green Road, N15.
Police attended the scene and found the victim with a gunshot wound to the head.
He was taken by LAS to and east London hospital where he remains in a critical condition.
His family has been notified.
Officers from Trident and Area Command are investigating the incident and enquiries are ongoing.
As at yet, there have been no arrests and officers are keeping an open mind as to motive.
DI Jane Topping of Trident, said: “A young man, who has just become a father for the first time, is now critically injured in hospital. Our enquiries suggest this was a determined attack and the victim had been repeatedly shot at before he was critically injured. His family is distraught and we clearly want to identify and locate the suspects for this crime at the earliest opportunity so they can be brought to justice.
“I would ask anyone who knows anything about this terrible crime to think about the devastating effect this has had on this young man and his family. Anyone with information can call police or Crimestoppers – any information will be kept in the strictest confidence.”
Any witnesses or anyone with information should contact detectives at Operation Trident on 101 or contact police via Twitter @MetCC.
President Muhammadu Buhari has given the directive that all the 36 state capitals should be connected with rail in the ongoing railway projects, the News Agency of Nigeria is reporting.
The Minister of Transportation, Mr, Chibuike Amaechi, passed on the President’s directive on Thursday at the meeting with the Chairman Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debts, Sen. Shehu Sani.
The meeting which was also attended by the Ministers of Finance; Budget and National Planning; and Power, Works and Housing, was to address the President’s $5.5billion loan request.
Amaechi said that the central rail line project connecting several communities of northern and southern Nigeria would be completed in June, 2018.
He further stated that 17 coaches are expected to arrive in November and out of the number, 10 will be deployed to Abuja-Kaduna rail line while the remaining seven will be deployed to the Itakpe-Warri rail line.
The Minister said that part of the money being requested now for approval by the senate was to execute the rail projects covering Kano-Kaduna, and Lagos-Ibadan networks.
Sani had earlier advised that if Nigeria “must borrow, it must borrow responsibly”.
Sani added: “the committee has the mandate to examine the merits and otherwise of the President’s current loan request.
“If we must bequeath to the future generation a pile of debt, it must be justified with commensurate infrastructural proof of the value of the debt, he said.
“The payment plan of this debt will undoubtedly last the length of our lifetimes and possibly beyond.
“We must leave behind a legacy that will appease and answer the questions the next generation of Nigerians will ask,” Sani concluded.
Also providing insight into the loan request, the Director-General, Debt Management Office, Mrs Patience Oniha, explained that the loans have sustainable benefits that would live beyond the present generation of Nigerians.
“What we should take away is that we are going into projects whose benefits don’t go away.
“The roads don’t go away, the schools don’t go away, and the hospitals don’t go away but all that we need to do is to maintain them properly and that is the explanation I want to make on that,” she said.
In a fascinating and scorching editorial in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, three authors argue that the myth that exercise is the key to weight loss – and to health – is erroneous and pervasive, and that it must end. The evidence that diet matters more than exercise is now overwhelming, they write, and has got to be heeded: We can exercise to the moon and back but still be fat for all the sugar and carbs we consume. And perhaps even more jarring is that we can be a normal weight and exercise, and still be unhealthy if we’re eating poorly. So, they say, we need a basic reboot of our understanding of health, which has to involve the food industry’s powerful PR “machinery,” since that was part of the problem to begin with.
The major point the team makes – which they say the public doesn’t really understand – is that exercise in and of itself doesn’t really lead to weight loss. It may lead to a number of excellent health effects, but weight loss – if you’re not also restricting calories – isn’t one of them. “Regular physical activity reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, dementia and some cancers by at least 30%,” they write. “However, physical activity does not promote weight loss.”
Plus, in the last 30 years, exercise has stayed about the same, while overweight and obesity have skyrocketed. So something else must be at play – like the type of food we’re eating. That part has gotten steadily worse over the years, as highly-processed sugary foods and sodas have taken over as our go-to choices. “According to the Lancet global burden of disease reports,” they write, “poor diet now generates more disease than physical inactivity, alcohol and smoking combined.” This is a disturbing statistic. But it gets worse.
The related and larger issue is that even normal weight people who exercise will, if they eat poorly, have metabolic markers that put them at very high risk of chronic illness and early mortality. “Up to 40% of those with a normal body mass index will harbour metabolic abnormalities typically associated with obesity, which include hypertension, dyslipidaemia, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and cardiovascular disease.”
And the crux of the issue is this: We’re continually “fed” the idea that all that’s behind the rise in obesity is lack of exercise, or sedentariness. There have certainly been a lot of studies and popular articles suggesting that sitting is our downfall. Instead of effective messages about diet and health that science actually knows to be true, “members of the public are drowned by an unhelpful message about maintaining a ‘healthy weight’ through calorie counting,” the team writes, “and many still wrongly believe that obesity is entirely due to lack of exercise. This false perception is rooted in the Food Industry’s Public Relations machinery, which uses tactics chillingly similar to those of big tobacco.”
What we know to be true is much simpler: “Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger,” the write. “Fat calories induce fullness or satiation.” For every additional 150 calories in sugar (i.e., a can of soda) a person consumes per day, the risk for diabetes rises 11-fold, regardless of how much or little we exercise. The single most effective thing people can do for their weight, they write, is to restrict calories – and even more, restrict carbohydrates.
So if this is all true, and research seems to suggest it is, how will it change? It might take quite a lot of work to shift our psychology around food, especially since advertising is so saturated with the message that carbohydrates are good for us. The celebrity endorsements might need to be tweaked, the authors say, and certainly the way foods are advertised and, perhaps, created, need to be shifted. The public should be repeatedly hit with the message that whole, natural foods, where possible and affordable is the best way to go. If you’re trying to lose weight, reduce your calories (especially sugars) – don’t think exercise alone will cut it. And even if you’re normal weight, you can’t subside solely on junk and stay healthy.
The authors end with this powerful finale: “It is time to wind back the harms caused by the junk food industry’s Public Relations machinery. Let us bust the myth of physical inactivity and obesity. You cannot outrun a bad diet.”
Turns out those who don’t have to trudge through a morning commute and humor water-cooler talk can get more done throughout the day — or at least they feel like they do.
That’s according to new research from the University of Cardiff, which found that while 69% of in-office workers said they put in more effort than required of their jobs, 73% of remote workers said they did the same. The study also found that those who work from home have higher job satisfaction. That said, the benefits come at a price: Work-from-home employees reported putting in more overtime (39%) than their in-office counterparts (24%).
If working from home is supposed to promote better work-life balance, why are remote workers clocking in more hours? Ironically, the lack of physical boundaries between work and life could be to blame. After all, when your commute is the 10 seconds it takes to move from the bedroom to the living room, you may decide to stay online for another 30 minutes to make up for it. You might also feel the need to prove your work-from-home arrangement makes you more productive, leading you to log more hours to go above-and-beyond your normal output from the office.
So whether you’re working from home full-time or just a few days a month, consider these work-life balance tips that can help you get more done throughout the day — and log off at a reasonable hour.
Mimic a Regular Work Day — to an Extent
One of the best things about working from home is not having to wake up as early, make yourself look presentable and take the time to commute into work. So why do any of these things when you don’t have to? Simply put, studies have shown employees who dress the part in turn act the part. Similarly, mimicking some of your regular routine — throwing on a bit of makeup, taking a walk around the block during the time you’d normally drive in — can help you get in the right headspace before settling down with your laptop for the day.
Create a Dedicated Workspace
“A separate workspace makes it easier to set boundaries between your home and office [lives],” says Lisa Kanarek, a home office expert. Moving from the couch to a desk can also put you in the mindset to get work done, instead of feeling like you can fire up your Apple TV while you file reports.
Most people can only work for about 90 minutes at a time before their productive energy levels begin dropping, says productivity strategist Cathy Sexton. Put time on your calendar or set an alarm for 10- to 15-minute breaks throughout the day. While this is a good idea even when you’re in the office, an extra reminder at home may be necessary when you don’t have the usual workday distractions like chatting with a coworker, checking out the kitchen snacks or stepping out for lunch.
Stick to a Hard Stop
What’s another 30 minutes finishing up a presentation when you don’t have to beat rush hour? That 30 minutes can quickly become hours if you don’t give yourself a hard stop the way you would at an office. Set an “end time” as a calendar reminder, let your colleagues know (a little peer pressure goes a long way), log off email and — maybe best of all — change back into your “home” clothes to recreate the feeling that you’re finally done for the day.
**Article by jennifer Liu was featured in Forbes.com
It has now emerged that many more top shots in Hollywood knew about disgraced producer Harvey Weinsten’s horrendous treatment of women over the years but chose to cover up and keep quiet
Latest to speak up is top Hollywood film director Quentin Tarantino who has admitted he should have spoken out against his long-time collaborator sooner.
In an interview with The New York Times on Wednesday, Tarantino confessed that he was totally aware of Weinstein’s alleged sexual misconduct long before the allegations were disclosed in articles published by The New York Times and The New Yorker earlier this month.
Over the last few weeks, Weinstein has been accused of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment by multiple actresses, models and tv anchor women but vehemently denies the accusations.
“I knew enough to do more than I did,” Tarantino admitted. “There was more to it than just the normal rumours, the normal gossip. It wasn’t secondhand. I knew he did a couple of these things.”
He continued, “I wish I had taken responsibility for what I heard. If I had done the work I should have done then, I would have had to not work with him.”
Tarantino also confessed in the interview that his former girlfriend, Mira Sorvino, informed him of unwanted sexual advances and unwanted touching by Weinstein when they started dating.
He was also aware of Weinstein’s out-of-court settlement with Rose McGowan who had alleged that she was raped by the producer in the 1990s.
“What I did was marginalise the incidents,” said Tarantino. “Anything I say now will sound like a crappy excuse.”
He then called on other men to take responsibility for not speaking out sooner. “I’m calling on the other guys who knew more to not be scared,” he said, continuing, “Don’t just give out statements. Acknowledge that there was something rotten in Denmark. Vow to do better by our sisters.”
Tarantino has collaborated with Weinstein’s production companies on countless films, including Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill and Django Unchained.
Yesterday, Lupita Nyong’o became the latest actress to accuse Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment in an emotional essay for The New York Times and the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed they were investigating an allegation of rape involving a model in 2013.
The alleged victim was an unnamed Italian model-actress who said Weinstein “forcibly raped” her at the Mr. C Beverly Hills Hotel in Los Angeles after the 8th annual Los Angeles, Italia Film, Fashion and Art Fest in February of 2013, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“He … bullied his way into my hotel room, saying, ‘I’m not going to [have sex with] you, I just want to talk,'” the woman told the newspaper. “Once inside, he asked me questions about myself, but soon became very aggressive and demanding and kept asking to see me naked.”
Then, she said, “He grabbed me by the hair and forced me to do something I did not want to do. He then dragged me to the bathroom and forcibly raped me.”
Afterward, she said, “he acted like nothing happened.”
Meanwhile, Hollywood leading man Tom Hanks said in an interview with the BBC this morning, that there is “no way back” for Weinstein after the multiple incidents of sexual assault, harassment and rape.
He said that Hollywood is at a “watershed moment” in history amid the developing scandal of the disgraced film mogul. The Oscar-winning actor said he did not feel complicit with an industry which ignored the allegations for decades but said Hollywood needed to listen to ‘everyone who has been a victim’
A South London peadophile rapist who lured a schoolgirl back to his flat and sexually attacked her has been jailed for 8 years.
Fortune Aragua, 25 was caught after the victim’s mother performed a citizen’s arrest on the paedophile who raped her 13-year-old daughter.
The south Londoner approached his victim while she was playing with a friend after school on 10 February this year. The girls, still in their uniforms, were on the way to the shops when Aragua approached and started chatting.
When the friend left, Aragua persuaded the girl, who told him she was only 13, to head back to his Stockwell flat.
He started kissing her but then his landlady suddenly returned so he locked the child inside his room and waited for the homeowner to leave.
Once the coast was clear, he sexually assaulted the girl, who was pleading with him to stop, and then raped her. She left shortly after the attack, according to a statement from the Metropolitan Police.
But the girl told her mother as soon as she got home who, without a second thought, marched straight up to Aragua’s front door and made a citizen’s arrest on him before calling the police.
The attacker denied raping and sexually assaulting the child, saying he found her on the street looking unwell, offered her assistance then headed home without her.
But the Met’s forensics team discovered her DNA on his boxer shorts. This evidence helped convict him of rape, attempted rape and the sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl, at a trial earlier in the year.
Aragua – who also uses the name Izevbigie Sylvester – received an eight year prison sentence and will have to sign onto the Sex Offenders Register for life.
DC Gregg Nicol, the investigating officer from the Met’s Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command, said: “I am pleased with this sentence which reflects the seriousness of Aragua’s crimes.
“Aragua is a dangerous sexual predator who targeted and took advantage of a vulnerable young girl for his own satisfaction,” DC Gregg Nicol, a Met child abuse investigator, said.
“I would like to praise the victim for her bravery and courage in reporting this heinous crime to the police and for giving evidence at court which ensured Aragua was brought to justice. I hope this sentence will give her some measure of comfort and closure.”