Day: October 15, 2017

NIGERIA: CHIEF GANI ADAMS IS DECLARED AARE ONA KAKANFO OF YORUBALAND

The Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III on Sunday declared the National Coordinator of the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC), Chief Gani Adams as the 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo (Generalissimo) of Yorubaland.

The prestigious Yoruba traditional title was last held by Late Chief Moshood Kasimawo Olawale Abiola the acclaimed winner of the June 12th 1993 presidential election,  who died on July 10, 1998.

MKO-Abiola

Abiola  succeeded Late Samuel Ladoke Akintola, the then Premier of the defunct Western region who was killed on January 15th, 1966 during the first Military coup.

Since the demise of Abiola in 1998, the position of the Aare Ona Kakanfo (Generalissimo), head of Yoruba warriors had been vacant until today (Sunday) when a letter of appointment was given to the OPC leader by Oba Adeyemi.

Personal Assistant to Adams, Segun Akanni who confirmed the development to DAILY POST in a telephone conversation at about 7.24pm on Sunday declared that the OPC leader was happy to be honoured with the prestigious Yoruba traditional title.

Akanni said, “Yes. It is true. We just received the appointment letter this evening. “Special thanks to His Imperial Majesty Oba Lamidi Adeyemi Olayiwola Atanda, The Alaafin of Oyo, Iku Baba Yeye Yeye”.

adams

Chief Gani Adams, the new Aare Kakanfo of Yorubaland is the National Coordinator of Oodua People’s Congress, and the Convener of Oodua Progressive Union.

He is also the Founder of Gani Adams Foundation, The Chief Promoter of Olokun Festival Foundation and The Chairman/CEO of Donyx Global Concept.

Advertisements

NOLLYWOOD: ACTOR EMEKA IKE CLAIMS MARRIAGE WAS ILLEGALLY DISSOLVED

Nollywood actor Emeka Ike has said that he’ll fight, with everything he has, to clear himself of the wife beater image his ex wife has labelled him, as he isn’t one.

He said this while speaking to Punch, adding that his divorce is illegal, as neither him nor his lawyer was at the court to sign the divorce papers.

He said:

The court dissolved my marriage illegally; I want people to get it right.

For you to dissolve a marriage, the man and his lawyer must be present in court to sign some documents. Ask them, was either my lawyer or myself present in court on that day? Is it possible to say the marriage has been dissolved?

emeka-ike-and-wife

My wife says that I am a wifebeater but the same woman two years ago in church during counselling, wrote it down that I am a caring man who is selfless and loves his family. She wrote that I love her and my lawyer still has the written note. She made this statement at The Redeemed Assemblies of God church in Magodo, Lagos. Can I possess all these and still beat my wife?

Six months later, she began to sing another tune and I know she was advised by some people that it was the only way to leave the marriage.

As to why he has refused to sign the divorce papers, Emeka Ike said:

The reason why I have not signed the papers is because of the blackmail involved and my name that has been tarnished. She is spoiling my name; I would fight to clear myself of being called a wife beater with everything I have.

I hate being referred to as a wife-beater because I am not one. Any man that does that does not deserve to be called a father or a man because you are stronger than the woman,

He said his children are scared of his ex wife, their mother, and do not want to see her.

My children do not want to see their mother. When my daughter heard she would be taken to Lagos to be with her mother, she was crying profusely because she did not want to go to meet her. The children are scared of her.

People have been asking me how my children have been coping with this whole drama but the truth is that they don’t want to see her. If you threaten our daughter that she would go to Lagos to meet her mother, she would cry and do everything you want her to do in the house just because she doesn’t want to see her.

Now my children are suffering emotionally, I even had to pay their matron double the money she asked for to make my children comfortable so they don’t really miss their mother.

I am not happy that my daughter does not have a role model. The children are really irritated by their mother. I have a lot of evidence of child abuse against her but I am waiting for the right time to arrest her. Even in court, her son testified against her.

She has tried to use the press against me by saying that I am a wife-beater but I have never touched her in my life. This is a real story and not a joke.

Her best TV station is the criminal investigation channel; she stays up till 4am to watch the channel for over five years. At first, I used to enjoy watching it with her. She watched the programmes about women who killed their husbands, children, relatives. How would you wake up by 4am and not see your wife on the bed only to go downstairs and see her watching that station as if she is taking notes.

I had to ask her if she wanted to kill somebody with the way she watched the station but she just switched off the television, went to her room and slept.

This is the story of my life. This is a woman whom I brought out of a one room apartment she was living with her mother, the other room was covered with zinc but I built a two-bedroomed apartment for them.

I went to her village and built a three-bedroomed apartment for her. I trained her from secondary school to Master’s degree level. Is this how she is supposed to pay me back?

No one is looking at all this but they would go online to say that I am bitter. Some men suffer like me but they died for nothing. That is why I dedicated my award to all the men that lost their lives to the women they loved.

Concerning the photo of him and a South African lady he is rumoured to be dating circulating the internet, Emeka Ike said:

 

People saw a picture of me and a lady together and they have already begun to conclude different things.

Love is not a public thing but a private matter, however, the lady I was pictured with is truly a South African and also of a German descent but she is my friend and we took pictures.

People should leave it like that. When I want to get married again, everyone would know and that is if there will be anything like that. But at the moment, the lady is just my friend.

UK: HOME OFFICE ACCIDENTALLY SENT WRONG DEPORTATION LETTERS TO EU NATIONALS

A minister from the Home Office has been forced to admit that the British government misinterpreted its own rules when it mistakenly sent more than 100 letters to European nationals ordering them to leave the country within a month or face deportation.

The Brandon Lewis, the immigration minister, confirmed it would reimburse those who spent money fighting the wrongful orders.

He also said he had written to each to apologise.

Ministers were urged to “get a grip” by the Green MP, Caroline Lucas, whose written question in parliament prompted the government’s admission on Thursday.

“Mistakes like this are simply not acceptable and add further worry to the lives of EU nationals already anxious about their status here in the UK,” she said.

“These are people who are our neighbours and friends and family, yet the government is treating them with contempt as second-class citizens. The government is turning lives upside down by callously playing hardball over Brexit and creating a ‘hostile environment’ for migrants.

“Ministers need to get a grip, and make sure that an error like this never happens again.”

The prime minister, Theresa May, described the episode as an “unfortunate error” when a Finnish academic, Dr Eva Johanna Holmberg, highlighted the issue in late August.

Lewis confirmed that, between 11 and 16 August 2017, 106 letters were sent to people from EEA nations: the 28 EU member states, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

“The error made was an incorrect interpretation of the consequences of an EEA national’s unsuccessful application for a registration certificate. We have agreed to meet any reasonable associated costs incurred as a result of this error. We should be able to quantify the total cost in due course,” he wrote.

The letter sent to Holmberg, who has lived in the UK with her British husband for most of the past decade, told her to leave the country or the Home Office would give “directions for [her] removal”, adding she was “a person liable to be detained under the Immigration Act”.

After the case came to light, Holmberg, a visiting academic fellow from the University of Helsinki at Queen Mary University of London, told the Guardian: “It seems so surreal and absurd that I should be deported on the grounds that I’m not legal. I’ve been coming and going to this country for as long as I remember. I don’t know what kind of image they have of me but it’s clearly quite sinister based on the small amount of info they actually have on me.”

Another recipient of one of the letters, Mihaela Duta, spent more than £1,000 on legal fees fighting the order. She said: “There are no words for how I feel. It was the worst week of my life. It took everything I knew and turned it on its head.

“We borrowed the money from the bank. We need it back – we’re just normal people.”

On Friday, it emerged that a British-American family was saddled with costs of £45,000 and split by the Atlantic Ocean after the Home Office refused to reverse a visa decision based on a misinterpretation of its own rules.

The department has said it is reviewing the case.

TEENAGE GIRL, 17, SUFFERS THREE SEXUAL ASSAULTS IN ONE NIGHT AFTER EVENING OUT WITH FRIENDS

The Metropolitan police have launched a manhunt after a teenage girl suffered three horrific sex attacks within one hour while she walked home from a night out in east London.

The 17-year-old victim was sexually assaulted by three different men after she was separated from her friends on her journey home to central London.

She was attacked by the different suspects in quick succession in the Bethnal Green area in the early hours of Saturday, September 29, police investigating the horrific ordeal said.

Police said her ordeal started shortly before midnight on Friday September 29 when she was picked up on camera being carried by a man in Cambridge Heath Road.

The pair are then seen appearing to go into a doorway in the same road, after which the man, who was wearing dark clothing, is not seen again on camera.

Items of the top half of the girl’s clothing were subsequently found nearby.

Shortly after midnight, another CCTV camera picks up the girl stumbling down Mint Street, being followed by a different, bearded male, on a racing bicycle.

Police: CCTV images have been released of the suspects following the horrific attacks (Metropolitan Police)

Officers said the man followed the teenager along Mint Street, into Three Colts Lane, and then as she heads in the direction of Bethnal Green Overground station.

When the next camera picks her up, the man has approached her and they have reached Corfield Street.

Some time later, the camera picks up the man leaving the area and walking away.

Suspect: This man is suspected to have sexually assaulted the 17-year-old student (Metropolitan Police)

The girl, whose clothing appears dishevelled, emerges shortly afterwards and goes further down Corfield Street.

Just minutes later, at around 12.45am, detectives believe the victim suffered a third attack, possibly involving two or three men.

The CCTV captures a third, different man walking down Corfield Street and joining two other figures under some trees. He appears to bend down towards a spot on the kerb in between some parked cars.

Detectives believe it was at this point that the victim was sexually assaulted.

Sex attack: Footage shows the third suspect walking along Corfield Street in east London (Metropolitan Police)

A short time later, a member of the public spotted the teenager lying on the ground in Corfield Street in a state of distress and called 999.

Detectives believe it is possible that she was drugged and are in the process of carrying out toxicology tests.

Detective Inspector Suzanne Jordan, from the Metropolitan Police’s child abuse and sexual offences command, said: “This is a horrific multiple sexual assault on an young female who was simply making her way home after a night out.

“We believe two of the three were very serious sexual assaults indeed, and are determined to catch the persons responsible for these hideous crimes.”

Police have released images of two men wanted in connection with the assaults.

Anyone with information should call police on 101 or via twitter at @MetCC, or contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

HAIR DYE INCREASES RISK OF BREAST CANCER – NEW STUDY

A new study by a London surgeon has found women who regularly dye their hair could have a higher risk of developing breast cancer.

According to Professor Kefah Mokbel there is a 14 per cent rise in rates of breast cancer among women who colour their hair.

The breast cancer surgeon, who works at the Princess Grace Hospital in Marylebone, central London says, women should colour their hair not more than five times year.

 HAIR DY

Professor Mokbel added that people should aim to use products with as many natural ingredients as possible – such as henna, beetroot or rose hip. What I find concerning is the fact that the industry recommends women should dye their hair every four to six weeks”.

Meanwhile, a separate research in Finland has also come up with similar conclusion.

Sanna Heikkinen, of the Finnish Cancer Registry, said women who use hair dye were more  likely to get breast cancer.

But she added: “We did observe a statistical association between hair dye use and risk of breast cancer in our study.

“However, it is not possible to confirm a true causal connection. It might be, for example, that women who use hair dyes also use other cosmetics more than women who reported never using hair dyes.”

Haircare professionals at the Cosmetic Toiletry and Perfumery Association said hair dyes were covered by robust safety requirements.

 

MIAMI: 8 YEAR OLD GIRL DIES AFTER FALLING OFF UPPER DECK OF CRUISE SHIP

An eight-year-old girl has died after falling from an upper deck into the lobby of a cruise ship docked in Miami.

The youngster is thought to have fallen between 25ft and 50ft (between 7.5m and 15m) from the interior atrium of the Carnival Glory on Saturday morning.

The ship, operated by Carnival Cruise Lines, had recently arrived in PortMiami, Dodge Island, just off shore from mainland Florida and east of Miami Beach, at the time.

A witness, Raymond Kassim, told Fox News affiliate 7News Miami he heard someone cry out.

“You heard ‘Oh, my baby, oh, my baby’, and when you looked, she was down at the bottom,” he said.

The embarkation point for cruise ships docked at PortMiami
Image:The embarkation point for cruise ships docked at PortMiami

“It happened so fast. She just fell over.”

Passengers described chaotic scenes as those in the ship’s atrium realised what had happened.

On board emergency responders attended the scene and attempted to save her life.

Emergency medical technician Bob Dorr, who was among the first to try to save the girl, said: “She had severe injuries.

“I started doing CPR until the doctor showed up, and then the doctor took over.”

Cruise ships docked at PortMiami
Image:Cruise ships docked at PortMiami

The girl was taken in a critical condition to the Ryder Trauma Centre, about three miles away from the port, but she died.

7News interviewed a relative of her family at the hospital, named only as Zion, who said she was only out of sight for a few seconds when the tragedy happened.

The family are understood to be from The Bahamas and had just completed a seven-day cruise.

A statement from Miami-based Carnival Cruise Lines, a subsidiary of US-British Carnival Corporation & PLC, to 7News said: “Our most heartfelt condolences are with the family at this very difficult time.”

Police are investigating.

 

CULLED FROM SKY NEWS

NEW NIGERIAN HIGH COMMISSIONER TO THE UK RESUMES POST IN LONDON

 

The new High Commissioner of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to the Court of St James, His Excellency Ambassador George Adesola Oguntade CFR, CON has resumed duty at the Nigerian High Commission in London.

The new Ambassador is the first substantive High Commissioner since Dr Tafida Dalhatu ended his tour in 2015.

In the past 2 years, the UK has had 2 acting Nigerian High Commissioners at the court of St James. Ambassador Kunle Bamgbose was the acting High Commissioner before he handed to Simon Ogah also in an acting capacity till he was recalled earlier this year.

3rd-Justice-George-Adesola-Oguntade
Retd Justice George Adesola Oguntade, CFR, CON

 

Born March 10, 1940 Justice Oguntade, is a retired Nigerian jurist who served as Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria from May 19, 2004 to May 10, 2010.

George Oguntade was born in Ijebu Ode, Ogun State where he completed his basic formal education. He attended Ijebu Ode Grammar School till 1958 after which he worked as a court clerk at the High Court of Justice, Ibadan between 1958 and 1961 before he left for the United Kingdom for further studies.

He graduated from Holborn College of Law in 1964 before he proceeded to the Nigerian Law School in 1965.

He was called to the Nigerian Bar on January 15, 1966.

Justice  Oguntade and wife.jpg
Retd Justice George Oguntade with his wife Modupe

Justice Oguntade worked in private law practices for 14 years and in September 1980 was appointed a Judge of the Lagos High Court

Between September 1987–May 2004, he served as Presiding Justice for several State Courts of Appeal in Nigeria until his appointment as Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria on May 19, 2004.

Having attained the statutory retirement age of 70 years,  George Oguntade retired from the Supreme Court Bench on May 10, 2010. On September 16, 2015, He was appointed Chancellor of the Lagos State University Governing Council by Akinwunmi Ambode.

The retired Justice Oguntade is married with children and grandchildren.

He arrived on London on the 8th of October and he has officially resumed duty.  He will be deputised at High Commission by Dr Kabiru Bala.