Day: June 20, 2017

YOUNG COUPLE MAKING LOVE ON BACK SEAT DROWN AS CAR ROLLS BACKWARDS INTO LAKE

You couldn’t make it up…

An amorous couple died after their off road vehicle rolled into a lake while they had sex , say police.

The 22 year olds could not escape from their Russian-made Niva as it sank, and they tragically drowned on the vehicle’s back seat.

The school physical education teacher and his girlfriend had earlier driven to the lake in Volograd region, but worried relatives later reported them missing when they failed to return.

The couple were named as Evgeny Chernov and Yana Kryuchkova.

“The car was lifted out of the lake and the bodies of the young people were found on the back seat,” said Andrey Fedotov, an official of the Russian Investigative Committee.

Detectives say the couple were “making love on the back seat when the car was parked near the lake”, according to local reports.

PAY-Lada-Niva-car_1_VazGarage_east2west

The car had been left in “neutral gear”, but their passionate movements jolted the Niva so it edged forwards into the lake near Elan.

‘The lovers were shaking the car and it rolled down to the water,” said a report by local news site Bloknot Volgograd.

“The young man and his girl failed to get out of the SUV in the water.”

A social media posting by a friend said: “We will remember you!!! so young!

“Rest in peace… You are in our hearts forever…”

Advertisements

TFL TRAM TRACKS IN CROYDON MELTING IN THE HEAT

The lining around the sides of tram tracks in Croydon town centre appears to be melting in the heat, on what is the hottest day of the year so far.
Pictures show how the black substance on the side of the tracks has gathered, and moved away from the tracks.

 

TRAMTRAM3

The Advertiser witnessed how a small bit of lining used around the edge of one bit of track appears to be softening in today’s sweltering temperatures.

Transport for London (TfL), which owns the tram network, has said a “flexible sealant” has “softened in the hot weather”.

Sand has been put on the tracks at West Croydon and the lining is soft underfoot.

Today is the hottest June day in Croydon since 2005 with temperatures exceeding 31 degrees Celsius this afternoon, local weather expert Ian Currie said.

Sarah Beth, 31, noticed the problem at Lebanon Road and East Croydon and said it worsened as trams drove over it.

Sarah, who lives near the Sandilands tram stop, said: “At Lebanon Road it looked like it is completely stripped and as trams pass over it it comes up even more.

“It looks like it’s happened today as it wasn’t like that yesterday.
Bus tyres are leaving imprints in the lining as they drive over it.
TFL said the sealant melting would not have an impact on the safe operation of the trams.

CROYDON ADVERTISER

POLICE INVESTIGATE UNEXPLODED WW2 BOMB IN SE LONDON

Police cordoned off part of a road in Penge today (Tuesday, June 20) after an unexploded bomb was discovered.

The “small shell” from the Second World War was found on a building site, on Kingswood Road, which is just over a mile away from Crystal Palace, this lunchtime.

WW2 BOMB
WW2 BOMB SHELL

The road was cordoned off to pedestrians and motorists for around an hour and a half after police were called at around 1pm.

They evacuated the building site and the surrounding area.

It has since reopened after police took the bomb to Betts Park, in Anerley, “to be dealt with”.

The park is currently closed with police telling residents its detonation poses “no risk to the surrounding houses“.

The public have been urged not to be alarmed if they hear the bomb explode.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “We were called at around 1pm to reports of an unexploded shell being discovered at a building site on Kingswood Road, in Penge.

“Officers evacuated the site on arrival and cordoned off a section of the surrounding roads after finding what is believed to be a World War Two shell.
CROYDON ADVERTISER

IGBOS URGED TO SHELVE BIAFRA AGITATION AND FOCUS ON NEGOTIATING FOR PRESIDENCY INSTEAD

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Abia, Donatus Nwankpa, has advised pro-Biafra agitators to shelve their secession plan and negotiate to produce an Igbo president in the country.

Mr. Nwankpa gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Umuahia on Sunday.

The APC chieftain stated that the agitation for a Biafra Republic is not a viable option for the south-east zone of the country.

“For the Biafran agitators, I think Ndigbo need two things: One is that they should try and produce a president of Nigeria.

“They should try and work hard to see that a president comes from the south-east.’’

Mr. Nwankpa said a president of Igbo extraction would make the ‘no victor, no vanquished’ declaration at the end of the 30-month Nigerian civil war more realistic.

He, therefore, urged prominent Igbo politicians to mobilise their resources and contacts to negotiate for an Igbo president.

Mr. Nwankpa further said Ndigbo needed to ensure massive infrastructure and economic development of the zone.

“An Igbo man is hardworking, industrious and creative.

“He does not need government empowerment, which to me, only makes people lazy.

“The Igbo man needs good roads, regular power supply and a conducive economic climate to drive his enterprise to the peak.”

Mr. Nwankpa, a one-time state legislator, also spoke on the growing agitation for the restructuring of Nigeria along regional lines.

“The agitation for restructuring has to do with the problem of discomfort and suspicion of one another in the country,” he said.

He said Nigerians needed to understand and coexist peacefully rather than to tolerate one another.

The APC chair further said there was nothing wrong with the present structure of the country and its constitution.

He said, “the Nigerian constitution is one of the best drafted constitutions in the world.”

Mr. Nwankpa blamed the underdevelopment of some sections of the country on the excesses and self-aggrandisement of some of the past and present governors.

He alleged that the governors wielded so much power but failed to channel such power toward the development of the country.

Mr. Nwankpa described the three-month ultimatum issued to Ndigbo by some Arewa youth as “a wake-up call on Ndigbo to come home and invest and develop their area.”

NAN


Advertising

nddis scr

OVER HALF OF KOGI STATE VOTERS WANT DINO MELAYE RECALLED FROM SENATE

A stunning 52.3 percent of the registered voters in Kogi West Senatorial District want their Senator, Dino Melaye, recalled from the Senate.

That percentage represents 188,588 of the 360,098 registered voters in the senatorial district.   The collation of signatures of voters which was undertaken over five days ended on June 17.

The information was disclosed by Pius Kolawole, a special adviser to Governor Yahaya Bello, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) announced on Monday.

Mr. Kolawole, who was speaking to party members from the district, commended the voters for turning out in good numbers for the collation, pointing out that Section 69 of the 1999 constitution authorized their decision.

“In 2015, we voted for Dino and now we are using the same method to return him home,” he said.

Giving a breakdown of the collation, the Returning Officer, Adamu Yusuf, said that in terms of the seven local governments in the district, the following numbers of registered voters are in favor of the recall:

18,374 of the 35,331 in Yagba East;
9,186, of the 18,356 in Mopa-Muro local government;
24,703 of the 46,810 in Yagba West;
63,736 of the 116,296 in Lokoja Local Government;
24,283 of the 46,819 in Ijumu Local Government;
28,277 of the 60,520 in Kabba/Bunu Local Government; and
24,703 of the 46,810 in Kogi Local Government.

He disclosed that collation will be submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission, for the next step in the recall process.

SAHARA REPORTERS


 

DIANE ABBOTT BACK TO FIGHTING FITNESS AND READY TO ARGUE FOR LABOUR AGAIN

Diane Abbott has recovered from her illness which caused her to be temporarily removed from her position in the shadow cabinet, she said.

The shadow home secretary was battling type 2 diabetes, but has it under control and has said she is ready to argue for Labour again.

She told BBC Breakfast: “I am back to fighting fitness and I’m back to representing the Labour Party in the debates and the battles to come.”

Ms Abbott was removed from her position and replaced by Lyn Brown after taking part in a calamitous set of interviews which caused criticism from across the country.

Diane Abbott says it took her brother to tell her off before she realised she needed to address her diabetes.

Ms Abbott had to temporarily step down as shadow home secretary just days before the general election after a series of uncomfortable interviews.

She told BBC Breakfast she had not been managing her type 2 diabetes.

The Andrew Marr Show
Diana Abbott speaking on BBC 1 today

Now back on the Labour frontbench, she said: “Stress wasn’t an issue, my blood sugar level was. I am back to fighting fitness.”

During the election campaign, Ms Abbott faced criticism for her performance after she stumbled several times during interviews and appeared unable to give detailed answers.

In one interview with LBC Radio, she mistakenly said plans to boost police numbers by 10,000 would cost £300,000. It led to a barrage of criticism from the Conservatives who said she could not “add up”.

She also pulled out of an interview with BBC’s Woman’s Hour with just a few minutes’ notice.

Just 48 hours before polling day, Labour said Ms Abbott was taking a period of sick leave and would be replaced “indefinitely” by Lyn Brown.

After the election Ms Abbott revealed in an interview with the the Guardian that she had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two years earlier and her condition was “out of control” during the campaign.

The Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP, who increased her majority in the 8 June election, said she struggled after facing six or seven interviews in a row without eating enough food – vital to managing her blood sugar levels.

‘Stress wasn’t an issue’

Now back in the shadow cabinet, Ms Abbott told BBC Breakfast, in her first interview since returning to work, her type 2 diabetes had been “an issue at certain points” during the election campaign.

But she said: “I’m feeling a lot better,” adding: “It took my brother to ring me up and tell me off and tell me about the importance of eating properly and glucose tablets.”

Urging others to get themselves tested for type 2 diabetes, she said she was now taking “all my brother’s good advice”.

Questioned as to whether her illness was stress related and if so would she be capable of being home secretary, she said: “Stress wasn’t an issue, my blood sugar levels was. I am back to fighting fitness.”

Asked if she was subjected to racism and misogyny in the campaign, she said: “I think politicians complaining about the media is like sailors complaining about the weather.”

She said resigning because of her ill health was “never a consideration”. “Everyone who has type 2 diabetes knows it is a perfectly manageable condition,” she added.

BARCLAYS AND FORMER EXECUTIVES CHARGED WITH FRAUD IN QUATAR CASE

Barclays and four former executives have been charged with fraud over their actions in the 2008 financial crisis.

The Serious Fraud Office case relates to the billion of pounds the bank raised from Qatari investors enabling it to avoid a government bailout.

Former chief executive John Varley is one of the four ex-staff who will face Westminster magistrates on 3 July.

Barclays says it is considering its position and awaiting further details.

“The charges arise in the context of Barclays’ capital raisings in June and November 2008. Barclays awaits further details of the charges from the SFO,” the bank said in a statement.

It is the first time criminal charges related to the financial crisis have been brought against a bank in the UK.

Mr Varley, former senior investment banker Roger Jenkins, Thomas Kalaris, a former chief executive of Barclays’ wealth division, and Richard Boath, the ex-European head of financial institutions, have all been charged with conspiracy to commit fraud in the June 2008 capital raising.

In addition, Mr Varley and Mr Jenkins have also been charged with the same offence in relation to the October 2008 capital raising and with providing unlawful financial assistance.

Mr Jenkins will “vigorously defend” himself against the charges, his lawyer has told Reuters.

“As one might expect in the challenging circumstances of 2008, Mr Jenkins sought and received both internal and external legal advice on each and every topic covered by the SFO’s accusations,” said Brad Kaufman from American firm Greenberg Traurig.

John Varley would for most have been an unlikely choice as the first former bank chief executive to face criminal charges over the events of the financial crisis.

Avuncular, calm, Mr Varley was one of the City’s patricians, often portrayed – rightly or not – as a check on Barclays’ hard-charging investment bank, led by Bob Diamond.

John VarleyImage copyrightREUTERS

Now, along with the bank he once led, he faces two types of charges, both of which relate to fundraisings from Qatar in 2008.

The first charge, conspiracy to commit fraud, relates to “advisory” fees paid to Qatar. The second – “unlawful assistance” – could be more serious.

It relates to a £2bn loan advanced to Qatar after the fundraisings were negotiated – the implication being that there was a money-go-round at work – Barclays was handing Qatar some of the money it was using to support the British bank.

Mr Varley was one of Britain’s leading bankers, having been chief executive at Barclays for six years.

Barclays took £12bn from Qatar in 2008, as banks scrambled to avoid nationalisation. The SFO looked into payments made to Qatar at that time and afterwards. It also investigated whether those payments were correctly disclosed and if they might have been an inducement to Qatar to support the British bank.

The emergency funds allowed Barclays to avoid a government bailout in 2008 at a time when rivals Lloyds Banking Group and Royal Bank of Scotland were forced to rely on a taxpayer rescue.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has also reopened its probe into the deal and is understood to be reviewing new evidence which could prompt it to reconsider a £50m fine against the banking giant four years ago.

The FCA imposed the penalty after finding that Barclays had failed to disclose the arrangements and fees it paid to the Qatari investors, but Barclays contested the fine and it was put on hold while the SFO conducted its investigation.

BBC