Details emerging about the Manchester BOMBER reveal that his mum is an intelligent Nuclear Engineer who graduated with top marks from her class at Tripoli University.
Accordingto Libya sources, Salman Abedi spoke to his, mother Samia Tabbal, 50, to ask for Her forgiveness just before he set out to murder 22 innocent people in a packed musical concert.
Details of his plea for forgiveness emerged after Tabbal was quizzed by police in Tripoli.
News sources in the US, citing intelligence officials, have said Abedi’s mother was fearful her son had been radicalised and it has been claimed she alerted authorities.
It has also been claimed she left her eldest son’s wedding because western music was being played.
The terrorist’s family had informed on the 22-year-old as they feared he had become ‘dangerous’, a US intelligence official said.
According to The Mirror, Tabbal hated Western songs and wanted traditional drum music to be played during her son Ismail’s wedding.
The religious mother-of-four was told to leave the ceremony after she expressed her feelings about the music.
She did not like living in Britain and had complained about the ‘West’, the paper reports.
Meanwhile, Special Deterrent Force spokesman Ahmed bin Salem said Tabbal told interrogators her son left Libya for England only four days before the bombing and called her on the same day of the attack.
Bin Salem said: ‘He was giving farewell.’
Another sibling, 20-year-old brother Hashem, and Abedi’s father, Ramadan, were arrested in Tripoli on Wednesday.
Speaking yesterday, Ramadan had claimed his son seemed ‘normal’ when they last spoke five days ago and insisted: ‘We don’t believe in killing innocents.’
A third relative, Abedi’s older brother Ismail, was arrested in Manchester on Tuesday.
Details of the call emerged after Miss Tabbal, 50, was quizzed by police in Tripoli yesterday.
She was accompanied by Abedi’s Manchester-born sister Jomana, 20, who said he acted out of ‘revenge’ for America dropping explosives on Muslim children.
She told the Wall Street Journal that her brother was kind and loving, and she failed to apologise to those he slaughtered.
‘I think he saw children – Muslim children – dying everywhere, and wanted revenge.
‘He saw the explosives America drops on children in Syria, and he wanted revenge. Whether he got that is between him and God.’
It is not known what his involvement, if any, was. He was once reported to a counter-terrorism unit after concerns were raised by members of the Muslim community.
Bin Salem said Libyan investigators think, based on what Hashem told them, ‘the bomber acted alone.’
He said Hashem told them that Salman learned how to make explosives on the internet and wanted to ‘seek victory for the ISIS.’
Speaking to MailOnline earlier today, Bin Salem said: ‘We cannot discuss all the allegations at this point because both suspects are still under investigation.
‘We had them under surveillance for a month and a half and we arrested Hashem on 23 May at 8.30pm and Ramadan on 25 May at 6pm.
‘According to our investigations, Hashem is a member of ISIS and he was planning to carry out a terrorist bombing in Tripoli.
‘Hashem denies having undergone any ISIS training, in either SIrte, Sabratha [two former ISIS hotbeds in Libya] or Syria.
‘We are sure Hashem is with ISIS, as was his brother Salman, but the father Ramadan is still under investigation at this point.’
Hashem is said to have been in contact with Salman and is suspected of planning to carry out an attack in the Libyan capital, police said.
He was ‘aware of all the details’ of his plans, a Libyan security force said. Hashem had been ‘under surveillance for a month and a half’ and ‘investigation teams supplied intelligence that he was planning a terrorist attack in the capital Tripoli’, the Deterrence Force said on its Facebook page.
The Special Deterrent anti-terror force said Hashem was receiving cash transferred from his brother, Salman.
The SDF said Hashem had been under surveillance for about a month-and-a-half before the Manchester terror attack.
But Libyan detectives are not thought to have told their British counterparts about the operation because they only suspected Hashem of planning an attack in Tripoli.
An SDF spokesman said: ‘Hashem confessed to being in the UK while the terrorist operation was being planned. And it is clear that he was fully aware of all the details of the [Manchester] terrorist operation.
‘It is also important to note that Hashem left the UK on April 16 and said he was in constant contact with his brother, the executor of the operation.’
The Libyan security force claimed Hashem told authorities both he and his brother belonged to ISIS.
After spending five and a half weeks in Libya, the 22-year-old killer tricked his mother into handing him back his passport after his parents confiscated it to make sure he did not abscond.
Salman Abedi and his brother Hashem were taken to North Africa by their father amid fears one of them would stab a rival two weeks after he was kicked out of a mosque in Manchester, MailOnline can reveal.
Abedi said he was going to Mecca on an Islamic pilgrimage, but he flew to Manchester via Istanbul and Dusseldorf to blow himself up, killing 22 and injuring at least 119, as thousands of fans piled out of Manchester Arena having watched Ariana Grande.
Abedi transited through Germany and Turkey days before he carried out his attack – an atrocity possibly connected to the Paris and Brussels terror attacks, detectives have said.
One theory is Abedi may have been part of a larger cell that included Mohamed Abrini, the ‘Man in the Hat’, with connections to the mass murders in France and Belgium. Abrini is known to have visited Manchester in 2015.
It is also in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia where Berlin Christmas market killer Anis Amri worshipped at jihadist mosques.
A Turkish security official also said that authorities there had not been made aware to look out for Abedi.
A senior Turkish official told the Financial Times the government in Ankara sent a file on Abedi to the British authorities yesterday morning. He refused to discuss the details of the communication.
As police and security services continue to investigate Abedi’s associates, one of them is said to be 24 year-old Abdalraouf Abdallah, who was jailed for nine years after being convicted of preparing acts of terrorism and funding terrorism.
Abdallah, who is partially paralysed after being shot during the Libyan Revolution, is said to have helped men travel to Syria to fight. Inquiries led officials at the time to believe Abedi was not of significance to that operation.
Abedi was also friends with Raphael Hostey, also known as Abu Qaqa al-Britani, who served as an ISIS recruiter until he was killed in 2016 in Syria by a drone strike.
They were said to be family friends and it is feared Hostey may have helped radicalise Abedi.
There are fears Abedi may have been inspired by Manchester-born 50-year-old former Guantanamo Bay detainee, Ronald Fiddler, also known as Jamal al-Harith. The Briton blew himself up at a military base in Iraq in February.
He was one of 16 men awarded a total of £10million in compensation in 2010, when the British government settled a lawsuit alleging its intelligence agencies were complicit in the torture of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.
Salman may also have had links with other cells across Europe and North Africa, according to two officials familiar with the case.
They said one thread of the investigation involves pursuing whether Abedi could have been part of a larger terror cell that included Mohamed Abrini, otherwise known as ‘the man in the hat,’ with connections to the Brussels and Paris attacks. Abrini visited Manchester in 2015.
It was also claimed Salman had travelled by train from London to Manchester on Monday in advance of the attack.
This has raised suspicions that he may have met co-conspirators or been supplied with his explosive device.
The device, a metal container stuffed with bolts and nails, was apparently hooked to a powerful battery and featured a remote, cell-phone detonator with built-in redundancies to ensure a blast even if a first attempt failed.
The design was sophisticated enough to bolster the theory that Abedi did not act alone.
Speaking to ABC, a terrorism expert said this suggested ‘there’s a bomb maker on the loose’.
The American network also claimed investigators had found a bomb workshop at his house and a ‘huge load of unused chemicals.’
A senior Whitehall source confirmed Salman Abedi was ‘one of a larger pool of former subjects of interest whose risk remained subject to review’ by the security service and its partners.
MI5 is managing around 500 active investigations involving some 3,000 subjects of interest at any one time, the source said, who added eighteen terror plots have been foiled since 2013.
This included five since the Westminster attack in March.
It emerged yesterday that Tabbal, 50, graduated from Tripoli university ‘top of her class’.
She is a close friend of the wife of a former Al Qaeda commander who once featured on the FBI’s World’s Most Wanted Terrorists list with a £20million bounty on his head.
The Al Qaeda veteran, Abu Anas al-Libi, spent five years in Manchester – having won political asylum in Britain in 1995.
He was later suspected of helping to plot the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Tanzania and Kenya.
The near-simultaneous atrocities in Dar es Salaam and Nairobi killed 224 people and left 4,500 people injured.
His wife Umm Abdul Rahman revealed yesterday she went to college in the Libyan capital with Abedi’s mother, who was studying nuclear engineering. She said the two women also lived together in Manchester for a number of years.
Al-Libi returned to Libya from the UK in 2000, and was captured by U.S. Special Forces from a street in Tripoli in 2013. He died in custody two years later aged 50.
Last night a close family friend told the Mail: ‘I am sure Salman’s mother and father are very shocked by what he did.
‘It is very sad because their mother is very intelligent. She told my wife that she was a nuclear science engineer and that she got excellent marks in her exams. She graduated top of her class from Tripoli University.’
A former Libyan security official Abdel-Basit Haroun said Ramadan, a former airport security worker, was a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting group in the 1990s. The group had links to Al-Qaeda.
Although the LIFG disbanded, Haroun said the father belongs to the Salafi Jihadi movement, the most extreme sect of Salafism and from which Al-Qaeda and ISIS hail.
He once worked for the Gaddafi regime’s security apparatus before turning towards hardline Islam: one of his associates once ran a group called the Islamic Martyrs’ Movement.
He had also publicly voiced his support for an extremist group fighting in Syria. He posted photos of soldiers clad in black uniforms from the Al-Nusra Front, which was the official Syrian branch of al Qaeda until it broke up last July, on his Facebook page five years ago.
Speaking yesterday, he had claimed his son seemed ‘normal’ when they last spoke five days ago and insisted: ‘We don’t believe in killing innocents.’