Month: May 2017

SURGEON WHO PERFORMED NEEDLESS MASTECTOMIES JAILED FOR 15 YEARS

Breast cancer surgeon Ian Paterson who carried out unnecessary operations, including mastectomies, on hundreds of patients – possibly to boost his earnings has been jailed for 15 years.

Dozens of victims turned up at Nottingham Crown Court for the sentencing – where the judge told Paterson his arrogance left him feeling untouchable and added to his “complete lack of remorse”.

Judge Jeremy Baker said: “You deliberately played upon their worst fears, either by inventing or deliberately exaggerating the risk that they would develop cancer, and thereby gained their trust and confidence to consent to the surgical procedures which you carried out upon them.”

Before Paterson was jailed, statements from some of his 10 private patients were read out, detailing the impact of his butchery on their lives.

victims
Image:Some of Paterson’s victims gathered outside court after the sentencing

There was applause for John Ingram, who told the court in a victim impact statement that Paterson had carried out “grotesque, violent acts against me”.

The impact statement of Carole Johnson was read out to the court by Julian Christopher QC, prosecuting.

She described Paterson as a “monster”.

Ms Johnson said she “feels violated and vulnerable”, and has “lost a lot of trust in medical professionals”.

She said, since she learnt her operations and procedures were unnecessary, her “world has been turned upside down”.

“I feel part of the woman I used to be, with no confidence at all,” her statement read.

“I do not think I can find it within my heart to ever forgive him.”

Mr Ingram described the surgeon’s needless operations, carried out over more than a decade, as “truly chilling, cruel behaviour…beyond dark.”

monster

Paterson was convicted of 17 counts of wounding with intent and three counts of unlawful wounding against 10 patents last month.

The seven-week trial dealt with patients operated on between 1997 and 2011 at the privately run Little Aston and Parkway hospitals in the West Midlands.

Jurors were not told that Paterson had also performed hundreds of unnecessary procedures on NHS patients – with a hospital trust forced to pay out almost £18m in damages and legal fees so far.

Speaking outside court, victim Diane Green called for Paterson’s “co-conspirators” in the medical profession to face justice.

She said: “We need to look to those who were co-conspirators, who let this happen, who saw it happen.

“All those medical people who actually knew what was going on said nothing. These people who turned their backs…we need to find out why they said nothing.”

A 2013 report found complaints about Paterson had been made for years but managers at the NHS trust which employed him “preferred good news to true news”.

Paterson, who has been suspended by the General Medical Council, was allowed to carry on operating on women for several years despite serious concerns raised about him by other staff, the report by lawyer Sir Ian Kennedy found.

Advertisements

NIGERIAN SCHOOLS TO TEACH MATHS AND SCIENCE SUBJECTS IN LOCAL LANGUAGES

The Federal Government says primary and secondary schools in the country will soon start teaching Mathematics and Science subjects in indigenous languages.

The Minister of Science and Technology, Ogbonnaya Onu said this at the inauguration of inter-ministerial committee on teaching of mathematics and science subjects in local languages in Abuja on Wednesday.

The inter-ministerial committee involved Federal Ministry of Science and Technology and the Ministry of Education.

He said the inter-ministerial committee would help to develop the capacity of the local languages to serve as effective tools for teaching mathematics and science subjects.

According to him, the project will help Nigerian students to understand mathematics and science subjects better.

He said the project would also promote the application of science and technology for national development.

The minister expressed concern of the government over the low interest in mathematics and the science subjects by students.

Mr. Onu said various countries like India and China adopted a related strategy by teaching mathematics and the science subjects in their indigenous languages at the primary school level.

He added that those countries were making advancement in science and technology.

“For us to build the country of our dreams, for us to make Nigeria a truly great nation, a nation that is able to feed and house its citizens, a nation with a stable currency, we must embrace science and technology.

“Nigeria will remain dependent nation if the citizens did not embrace science and technology, because no nation can become great without science and technology.

“If Nigeria is to be great then, Nigerians must embrace science and technology.

“The socio-economic challenges we are facing in the country is as a result of inadequate application of science and technology,” he said.

Mr. Onu said that graduates were no longer able to get jobs after their studies because the nation imports everything it needed.

Earlier, the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, said using mother tongue to teach science and mathematics would certainly help and ensure better understanding of the of the subjects.

Mr. Adamu, who was represented by Useni Adamu, the director overseeing the office of the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, said that the project would facilitate a major breakthrough in the area of science and technology.

(NAN)


 

Advertisement

NDDIS EVENT

LONDON RING INCLUDING NIGERIAN BROTHERS SUPPLYING DRUGS TO NORWICH JAILED FOR 20 YEARS

Three Lower Clapton drug dealers – including one who hid £2,000 of crack and heroin inside his own body – have been jailed for a total 20 years

Oluchi Ochereobia, 22, of Mandeville Street, Calvyn Senna Green, 25, of Keyworth Close and Jaivon Prince, 20, of Daubney Road were caught out after the Met discovered a network operating out of London to supply drugs in Norwich.

Ochereobia was running the network with his brother Kenechi, who was based in Cardiff.

Green was arrested in September last year at Ipswich station, on a London-bound train from Norwich. He was found with £2,500 cash, as well as mobile phones that had been used to communicate with Kenechi Ochereobia and those he was supplying the drugs to.

IMG_7370-226x150.jpg
Oluchi and Kelechi Ochereobia

Prince was arrested at Liverpool Street station shortly after. He admitted having two packets of drugs concealed in his body and was taken to hospital, where hundreds of wraps of heroin and cocaine worth about £2,000 were recovered. On a search of his home, cops found heroin and crack cocaine worth £20,000.

All were charged with conspriracy to supply Class A drugs. Prince pleaded guilty, while Ochereobia and Green were convicted after a trial. They were sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on Friday.

Ochereobia was sentenced to eight years, and Green to five years and six months. Prince was sentenced to six years and four months.

THE SEX LIES WOMEN TELL

YOU will never believe what women lie about during sex.

When we think of the worst thing a woman could lie about during sex, we would assume it would be whether they’d had an orgasm.

Because, after all, only 20% of women can orgasm from vaginal penetration alone and according to a survey by the Daily Star Online 60% of women said they’ve faked an orgasm during sex.

However, a new poll conducted by Direct TV asked 2,000 people what lies were the worst someone could say during sex.

Number one? “I’m on birth control.”

According to the survey, this is the absolute worst lie a woman can tell during sex – rather understandable as lying about this can have some pretty serious consequences (i.e. a child one party isn’t ready for).

This is followed by, “I’m not just looking for sex,” lying about the number of people they’ve slept with and, “you’re the first person I’ve ever done this with.’

Also included in the list were non-sexual lies.

“I always wash my hands after using the bathroom” was considered the worst non-sexual lie followed by “I’ve never smoked” and “Miss you, too”.

The survey also revealed co-workers and family are the people we lie to most, followed by friends and significant others.

Those that do lie to their partners lie on average once per day – and those that live with their partners but aren’t married lie the most.

Meanwhile, further research of 18,000 people found women use the alibi “going out with friends” when they are cheating on their partner.

Two thirds of women use this lie when they are sneaking off for sex, other popular lies include, “I’m taking some me time” or saying something has come up at work.

By Laura Hampson

GOVERNOR’S WIFE PLAYED NO PART IN SACKING OF CHAPLAIN – LAGOS CAN

LAGOS Chapter of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) said on Tuesday that the Lagos State government has the power to hire and fire any chaplain appointed to manage the Chapel of Christ the Light, Ikeja under the Ministry of Home Affairs.

Chairman of CAN, Lagos chapter, Apostle Alexander Bamigbola, made this clarification while briefing journalists on controversies generated by the sacking of the church chaplain, of Venerable Femi Taiwo, stressing that what was reported in the media was far from the truth.

This was just as he and other clergies, including Secretary of CAN, Israel Akinadewo and Bishop of African Church, Diocese of Ifako, Rt Rev Michael Adeyemi, who were with him at the briefing, maintained that investigations were ongoing to get to the root of the matter.

The wife of Lagos State governor, Mrs Bolanle Ambode, had been variously accused of being the one responsible for the sack of Venerable Taiwo on account that Taiwo showed disrespect to the Office of Lady by not giving due recognition when Mrs Ambode was physically present at the church on May 14, 2017.

Bamgbola, who exonerated the wife of the governor, lamented that the press and social media blew the issue out of proportion.

According to him, the church was built by the Lagos State government for itself and the public and consequently appointed two chaplains to run the affairs of the church, with the Presiding Chaplain the senior.

The CAN chairman said it was the state government which created the anointing service and instituted a Governing Council to run the affairs of the church and report to the Ministry of Home Affairs.

“The Governing Council has the constitutional responsibility to recruit and terminate the appointments of officers who run the chapel. Two officers run the affairs of the chapel, the Presiding Chaplain and the Chaplain. They are officers of the government, they are strictly employees of the state government and subject to terms and conditions of the government,” he explained.

He further stated that the Governing Council acted within its constitutional authority in terminating the appointment of the Presiding Chaplain, having investigated the matter carefully and objectively.

“Having investigated the matter carefully and objectively, we wish to state that the governing council that recruited Venerable Femi Taiwo, acted within its constitutional authority to terminate his appointment,” Bamgbola said.

He maintained that it was wrong for the social media and the print to point accusing finger at the state government for sacking one of its employees, declaring that the accusation levelled against Deaconess Ambode, which was as a result of an anointing service, was far from the truth.

“Mrs Ambode is a true woman of God who fears God and lives a godly life. God raised her at this time,” he said, adding that the dust generated by what occurred was unfair to her.

“The social media should desist from circulating unfounded reports. The Bible said judge not that you should not be judged. This matter should be closed and be left for the church to handle. We are more than able to handle all matters,” he said.

The Secretary of CAN, Israel Akinadewo, also said that CAN had waded into the matter as every Christians in Lagos State comes under the umbrella of the body, insisting that the matter had been blown out of context.

He appealed to the media to allow the church authorities to handle the matter, saying that church matters were not discussed on the pages of newspaper.

Bishop of African Church, Diocese of Ifako, Rt Rev Michael Adeyemi, said the matter was being managed by CAN and that the church trusted the judgment of CAN to do a good job and resolve the matter once and for all.

“The matter is already under control and if we are here to attend this briefing, it is because we are in agreement with CAN. We respect our governor and what he is doing that is why we transfer the matter to CAN and we are happy with everything CAN is doing,” he said.

TRIBUNE

TRUMP’S COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR SET TO LEAVE THE WHITE HOUSE

U.S. President Donald Trump’s communications director, Mike Dubke, is set to leave after three months in his White House post, White House adviser Kellyanne Conway said on Tuesday.

“He has expressed his desire to leave the White House and made very clear that he would see through the president’s international trip,” White House adviser Kellyanne Conway said in an interview on Fox News, referring to Trump’s first overseas trip to the Middle East and Europe that ended on Saturday.

Dubke, a communications firm owner who was brought into the Trump administration in March, resigned May 18 though he has not set a last day on the job and is leaving on good terms, according to Axios News, which first reported his departure citing a senior administration official.

His departure comes amid White House plans for a larger strategic shake-up to tackle head-on allegations involving communication between Russia and Trump’s presidential campaign, including a “war room” to combat mounting questions and multiple probes.

According to administration officials and persons close to Trump, the president plans to bring in new aides to the White House, adding experienced political professionals including Trump’s former campaign manager.

The changes may also include more lawyers to handle the Russia probe as part of the effort to tackle a scandal that has threatened to consume Trump’s young presidency.

Other potential changes are also expected to the White House communications office, according to Axios, including fewer on-camera briefings with White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer. Trump will also take more questions directly from the media, it reported.

In a tweet early on Tuesday, Trump shot back against the Russia probes, writing: “Russian officials must be laughing at the U.S. & how a lame excuse for why the Dems lost the election has taken over the Fake News.”

Conway, on Fox News, also played down persistent rumors that Spicer, who has been pilloried on comedy shows, was on his way out. She said he would be back at the podium to brief reporters on Tuesday.

Spicer served with White House chief of staff Reince Priebus when both worked at the Republican National Committee.

Priebus and White House adviser Steve Bannon have been laying the groundwork for the new “war room” that will also involve Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner, sources told Reuters.

Dubke oversaw the White House communications office, which ran press and other outreach efforts. His appointment earlier this year came after Trump’s previous choice, Jason Miller, declined the top communications job.

REUTERS


 

17 STILL IN CRITICAL CARE WITH LIFE CHANGING INJURIES A WEEK AFTER MANCHESTER’S BOMB ATTACK

Fifty patients are still being treated in hospital for injuries sustained in last week’s Manchester attack, including 17 who are in critical care, the health authority for England  – NHS said on Tuesday.

The suicide bombing at a pop concert venue killed 22 children and adults, and a total of 116 people received hospital treatment in the days immediately after the attack.

NHS England, said being in critical care was not the same as being critically ill. It provided no further explanation, but doctors and hospital officials said last week that some patients had suffered life-changing injuries to major organs and to limbs.

REUTERS